radar detectors

Foxy

I know there have been other posts in this forum on radar detectors but this is a little more specific. I'm looking at purchasing an new detector and since I live near a state, Virginia, in which detectors are illegal, I was wondering about anyone's experiences in using detectors there. Especially interested in whether the Bel STi Driver which claims to be undetectable to RDD has been used by anyone there or traveling through VA. Anyone been tagged with RDD on the Bel?

Also, even with an RDD-proof detector, how do you deal with LEOs visually sighting the detector? Seems to be a conflict between placement of the detector and getting it in a position to be fully sensitive to radar? Where do you mount your detector on your bike? I have a '96 R1100 RT with an aftermarket shelf above the instrument cluster at the bottom of the shield.

Any input appreciated.

Foxy

Check www.radardetector.net and www.legalspeeding.com or net (i forgot the latter). there is a lot of info on the first site about the Bel STi and a forum about motorcycles. From what I've seen, the detectors are either put in a tank bag or under the fairing. The radar will still work in those conditions, but they will not detect laser. If laser gets you, you are done anyway from what they say.

The Bel STi is still the only RD that is undetectable by RD, but there are suppposed to be some new Spectre IV radar detectors in VA that can detect that too (maybe).

ShovelStrokeEd

Just put the detector in your saddle bag and disconnect it. If you don't ride more than 10 over on the freeway or no more than 10% over on the back roads you just won't be bothered.

It ain't worth having your detector confiscated for evidence.

Just put the detector in your saddle bag and disconnect it. If you don't ride more than 10 over on the freeway or no more than 10% over on the back roads you just won't be bothered.

It ain't worth having your detector confiscated for evidence.

Amen!

russell_bynum

I'm with Ed. Just put it it in your saddlebag and call it a day.

As for your choice of detectors...there's the V1 and there's everything else.

I've used several of the top detectors, and the V1 is king.

Mine's been through hell and back, and no problems. It's been rained on, fallen off the bike at high speed, was run over by a 1-ton dually pickup towing a horse trailer (long story), and when I crashed my Tuono last summer, the bike landed upside down on top of it. It's scuffed up and looks a little worse for the wear, but it works just fine.

stubblejumper

I have the V1 as well,and find it to be a quality piece of equipment.However,I have yet to use mine on my motorcycles,so I can't comment on how to properly mount it.

I'm using the V1 as well but remember a trick that the Viginia HP were known to use against truckers; they would shoot them in the back as they passed an on-ramp and then come stop them if they saw the brakelights come on.

Thanks for all the input. It helps. Got zapped about a month ago here in Tennessee for 67 in a 45 mph zone by a county LEO. Had an older detector but wasn't using it that day. Have gotten a little more gun shy as a result.

Foxy

I'm with Ed. Just put it it in your saddlebag and call it a day.

As for your choice of detectors...there's the V1 and there's everything else.

I've used several of the top detectors, and the V1 is king.

Mine's been through hell and back, and no problems. It's been rained on, fallen off the bike at high speed, was run over by a 1-ton dually pickup towing a horse trailer (long story), and when I crashed my Tuono last summer, the bike landed upside down on top of it. It's scuffed up and looks a little worse for the wear, but it works just fine.

I agree with your assessment -- love my V1 however, Valentine should call you to be their poster-child for their ads, considering that your V1 has taken a lick'n and is still tick'n...

eek.gifsmirk.gif

Ya know, there's a reason why people are reluctant to loan you stuff. tongue.giflmao.gif

In Virginia, according to the state police, the fine can range from $21 to $85, with $21 the most usual, and the device is not confiscated.

While I don't know if it is still the case, in the 1990's GEICO provided Virginia police departments with radar detector detectors.

In Virginia, according to the state police, the fine can range from $21 to $85, with $21 the most usual, and the device is not confiscated.
If that's the case then I'd use it, especially considering that the chance of getting tagged as having a detector is pretty remote in the first place. If they have the right to monitor my behavior without my knowledge than I have the right to monitor them doing so and I couldn't care less what the state has to say about it.

Radar Detectors in Virginia

While the days of the Virginia State Police sniffing out your FuzzBuster radar detector and seizing it are gone, it is still illegal to use radar detection devices in Virginia. Contrary to the state statute, some local government web sites such as the City of Fairfax advise that drivers may possess a detector even in a vehicle if the device has no power source and no one in the vehicle can access it. The actual statue, however, still prohibits possession in a motor vehicle, even if disconnected and not in actual operation.

§ 46.2-1079. Radar detectors

"A. It shall be unlawful for any person to operate a motor vehicle on the highways of the Commonwealth when such vehicle is equipped with any device or mechanism, passive or active, to detect or purposefully interfere with or diminish the measurement capabilities of any radar, laser, or other device or mechanism employed by law-enforcement personnel to measure the speed of motor vehicles on the highways of the Commonwealth for law-enforcement purposes. It shall be unlawful to use any such device or mechanism on any such motor vehicle on the highways. It shall be unlawful to sell any such device or mechanism in the Commonwealth. However, provisions of this section shall not apply to any receiver of radio waves utilized for lawful purposes to receive any signal from a frequency lawfully licensed by any state or federal agency.

"This section shall not be construed to authorize the forfeiture to the Commonwealth of any such device or mechanism. Any such device or mechanism may be taken by the arresting officer if needed as evidence, and, when no longer needed, shall be returned to the person charged with a violation of this section, or at that person's request, and his expense, mailed to an address specified by him. Any unclaimed devices may be destroyed on court order after six months have elapsed from the final date for filing an appeal.

"Except as provided in subsection B of this section, the presence of any such prohibited device or mechanism in or on a motor vehicle on the highways of the Commonwealth shall constitute prima facie evidence of the violation of this section. The Commonwealth need not prove that the device or mechanism in question was in an operative condition or being operated."

Thanks for the detailed reply re: VA law on detectors. I hadn't heard that permanent confiscation had been changed. Got a suggestion to on another board to carry and additional cheap crappy detector in the open and give it up with the good detector stowed in a tank bag. Just goes to show, pass a law (especially a silly restrictive one like this and people will find ways around it).

Thanks again

Foxy

If that's the case then I'd use it, especially considering that the chance of getting tagged as having a detector is pretty remote in the first place. If they have the right to monitor my behavior without my knowledge than I have the right to monitor them doing so and I couldn't care less what the state has to say about it.

+1 thumbsup.gif

Besides, according to the Communications Act of 1934, the airwaves are free. Last I checked, it was still free to receive radio signals. Just not legal to decode ciphered signals (like movie TV channels...) Just taking away more of our basic freedoms... [/End Rant]

Archived