IGNORED

Help Wanted: Fastener Guru

Ben_Ricci

I’m trying to install new Motolights on an F800ST. I need to find a source for M10 x 1.25 x 65mm (or 70mm?) screws for fastening the Motolight bracket to the brake caliper. I looked through a few dozen online sites and it appears M10 x 1.25 is somewhat non-standard dimension. Most of what I found was 1.50 and I didn't see any 65mm screws in the M10. There isn't much space between the rotor and the backside of the caliper on the F800, so I'm trying to find a screw that comes as close to being flush (on the back side) as possible (the screw is flush to the caliper in the stock application). Does anyone know of a source for metric socket screws grade 10.9-12.9 that are coated to prevent galvanic corrosion in the 65mm or 70mm dimension?

Also, is the lock washer that is supplied by Motolight really necessary? It reduces the screw penetration about 2-3 mms. And lastly, if I can’t find a proper length fastener, would cutting one (to shorten it) compromise the performance of the coating and lead to corrosion (I’m assuming yes, but wanted to hear a more informed opinion).

I’ve tried for three weeks to get the proper fasteners from Motolight, but that has proven to be an exercise in futility.

Thanks in advance.

russell_bynum
McMaster part number 96144A277 is a socket-head allen bolt, M10x1.25, 80mm long, grade 12.9. You could go with that, and cut it down to length. It doesn't appear to be coated, though.

My installation is probably a bit different from yours as I have a R11RT with the fork mount. However, all required mounting hardware came with my kit from Motolight. I suggest you cantact Motolight for the hardware you need, they are exceptional in the CS department.

I’m trying to install new Motolights on an F800ST. I need to find a source for M10 x 1.25 x 65mm (or 70mm?) screws for fastening the Motolight bracket to the brake caliper. I looked through a few dozen online sites and it appears M10 x 1.25 is somewhat non-standard dimension. Most of what I found was 1.50 and I didn't see any 65mm screws in the M10. There isn't much space between the rotor and the backside of the caliper on the F800, so I'm trying to find a screw that comes as close to being flush (on the back side) as possible (the screw is flush to the caliper in the stock application). Does anyone know of a source for metric socket screws grade 10.9-12.9 that are coated to prevent galvanic corrosion in the 65mm or 70mm dimension?

Also, is the lock washer that is supplied by Motolight really necessary? It reduces the screw penetration about 2-3 mms. And lastly, if I can’t find a proper length fastener, would cutting one (to shorten it) compromise the performance of the coating and lead to corrosion (I’m assuming yes, but wanted to hear a more informed opinion).

I’ve tried for three weeks to get the proper fasteners from Motolight, but that has proven to be an exercise in futility.

Thanks in advance.

Ben, the standard is 10X1.5,, as you noted 10X1.25 is sort of a bastard size.. A 10X1.25 is more in line with what Japanese bikes use so you might try a local Honda, Suzuki, or Kawasaki dealer.

Twisty

As a mechanical design engineer, that's one of the main things I hate about the metric fastener system. They are not standardized, nor do they really offer the flexibility of the fine thread/coarse thread UNF/UNC inch based system - and there are real cases where these specific features are needed.

In any job, it seems like there's always still another wrench size you gotta go to the store for too.

Yes I know the world is going metric, but to me they'll always be "communist metric queer".

Ah I feel better already!

As a mechanical design engineer, that's one of the main things I hate about the metric fastener system. They are not standardized, nor do they really offer the flexibility of the fine thread/coarse thread UNF/UNC inch based system - and there are real cases where these specific features are needed.

In any job, it seems like there's always still another wrench size you gotta go to the store for too.

Yes I know the world is going metric, but to me they'll always be "communist metric queer".

Ah I feel better already!

Is the International Standards Orignisation not a standards body? ISO Metric Standards

M10x1.25 is a standard metric fine thread.

My installation is probably a bit different from yours as I have a R11RT with the fork mount. However, all required mounting hardware came with my kit from Motolight. I suggest you cantact Motolight for the hardware you need, they are exceptional in the CS department.

I'm on a first name basis with Tina H. and Diana S. at Motolight. grin.gif A number of issues exist on the F800 that are outside the norm for other BMW applications (apparently): larger, longer caliper bolts; and deep, large diameter recesses on the fork tube with tapered surrounding surfaces. The initial problem was an insistance by Motolight that certain hardware (M6 and M8 bolts for example) was correct. We got it all sorted out, but the challenge for trying to relay useful information to them without properly sized brackets. For example I couldn't measure the needed bolt length until I had a bracket that fit, so it became a trial-and-error process. To Motolight's credit, they were responsive and didn't just blow me off as a nitpicky complainer. I'm certain they'll take another look at this application now.

And as a postscript the communication and the fitting issues were compounded by missing components in the original kit: they didn't know what I had and I didn't know what they were able to supply or intended to supply. But mutually, we got-r-done. wave.gif

Is the International Standards Orignisation not a standards body? ISO Metric Standards

M10x1.25 is a standard metric fine thread.

It happened that I was burned on a bunch of expensive parts with the 10 mm size too. Maybe the ISO group was in the bar the night they discussed 10 mm sizes.

The wrench salesmen sure got their proliferation wishes though.

Here in the US, it is about a 100% cost premium (i. e. 2X) to use metric fasteners instead of inch for the same capability.

Archived