IGNORED

Which Loctite?

jfremder

I'm mounting up a brake disk on a spare wheel. The manual calls for Loctite™ 2701, but I can't find it anywhere...even at McMaster Carr

Anyone else have a good substitute threadlocker for a small fastener in a high heat application?

ShovelStrokeEd

I believe Loctite 270 is the equivalent. Available here among others. Be careful with this stuff as it is a permanent bond requiring heat up to about 250 C to remove. The data sheets of the two products read pretty much the same. I think 2701 is just a European designation.

I also saw a listing for A&S Cycles on the first page of a Google search so you might give them a call. Google IS your friend.

Be careful with this stuff as it is a permanent bond requiring heat up to about 250 C to remove.
Yeah, this can be quite a PITA and I wouldn't use red unless it was really necessary... and I think that it tends to be over-specified by OEM manufacturers due to product liability concerns, etc. It's pretty rare to have any problems with a properly-torqued fastener and blue Loctite (243), and the medium-strength stuff is a lot easier to use and carries less risk of damaging parts. Certainly there are a few problem situations where red is required, but in my experience they're fairly infrequent.

Archived