IGNORED

Is there a phone that will ring thru an Autocom?

JMR

Connecting the cell phone to the Autocom, (like today when I saw a chance to mix some riding in with working wink.gif), I set the phone to auto-answer but cannot tell when I have a call until I hear a confused caller's voice coming thru the headset saying "Hello? Hello?"

Is someone familiar with a brand/model of phone that can put a ringtone out to the headset? (Or some other way to achieve this?) I'd like to be able to know when a call is coming in and be able to choose to answer or not. (On a bike, it's just not always a good time to have a phone call pop in.)

Using an Autocom Active-plus and Motorola E815 cell phone...

(And had same scenario with Pro 7 Sport and Sanyo phone)

Thanks.

My Verizon XV6700 will play it's ringtone first then autoanswer (if option selected). The XV6700 is a Windows Mobile 5.0 PDA/Phone and is actually the HTC Apache.

When I had a phone hard wired to Autocom, no ring. I would be cruising along singing with the XM and all of a sudden it would get quiet and some poor person is saying "Hello? Hello?". Then I bought a Razr and a cheap BT module which I plugged into the Autocom. The Razr goes thru the Zumo; now I hear ringing, which is great, and the Zumo indicates a call and gives me the much used option of ignoring it.

Not that this is any help, since it's out of production, but my Kyocera 7135 Palm-based smartphone acts the same as it does for a car kit. It announces "Incoming call. Answer?", to which I can reply "Yes" or "No". Unfortunately there's no way to place it where I can see the Caller ID display. At any rate, it would be nice if more phones worked this way.

Phones differ from manufacturer to manufacturer, and even model to model.

Basically, some phones will send a ring tone to their hands-free port. If that's the case with your phone, then your hands-free device will pick it up and it will ring in your earpiece. Since your Autocom cable plugs into the hands-free port, then the ring tone will go to the Autocom and up to your helmet.

In other cases, the manufacturer has figured that if you're using your hands-free device, then the phone is likely on your hip or next to you in the car. In either case it's where you can hear the phone ringing and thus it isn't necessary for them to also send the ring tone to the hands-free port. If you have one of those phones, then it will not ring through your Autocom.

It's your phone. Not the Autocom. When selecting a phone that will also be used through your Autocom, always be sure to ask the salesperson to demo the hands-free port. Put the earbud in your ear and listen for it to ring. If it doesn't, then that's not the phone you want.

Boy have I been down this road...

Yes, after much searching and trial and error, our newest Kyocera (on Verizon) K323 does it. It's a menu selection, "Headset Ringing" buried deep in the menus. The Verizon reps I talked to didn't even know about it.

lawnchairboy

samsung model scp-3100

not a high end phone, but works just fine and "rings" through autocom pro-7 flawlessly every time.

I use the Samsung Black Jack smart phone. It has a nice mellow ring that can be heard trough the Autocom.

I paid $180 for it and its a great PDA with internet & phone.

The phone was recommended by my work and works great on the bike. I have Google maps, internet, email and a cell phone right on my tank bag. thumbsup.gif

Kris

When I had a phone hard wired to Autocom, no ring. I would be cruising along singing with the XM and all of a sudden it would get quiet and some poor person is saying "Hello? Hello?". Then I bought a Razr and a cheap BT module which I plugged into the Autocom. The Razr goes thru the Zumo; now I hear ringing, which is great, and the Zumo indicates a call and gives me the much used option of ignoring it.

Steve, what is a "BT module"? Thanks.

'BT module' is a Bluetooth unit. My phone rings only when using the 'BT'device. The problem is the Motorola 'BT' device creates a very high frequency hum and no amount of 're-locating' etc. can eliminate it. And yes I am using all the proper Autocom devices...

So I have learned to recognize the muted audio as an indicator of an incoming call and I start saying 'hello' before the caller does.

My 'next' phone will be better adapted to 'bike use'.

Jim W.

So many people talk on the phone while riding a bike?

I have to devote so much attention to dodging cagers yacking on the phone that I can't spare any to yack myself.

My cheapo Kyocera KX414 from Verizon (I no longer use) would announce a call, indicate who was calling and give me a verbal choice ("Yes"/"No") if I wanted to answer on my Autocom. While riding, if I was busy reading a map, or removing my gloves, taking pictures, talking to the wife, drifting off, or generally not paying attention to the rather large deer crossing the road ahead of me, it was easy to just say "no".

I still have to figure out how my new Verizon Chocolate will work. I sure hope I don’t have to pay attention to it.... eek.gif

Archived