Iron Butt RT

JayW

That bike belongs to fellow Yankee Beemer, Rob Nye.

The keg is hooked to a windshield washer pump that is controlled by a button on the handlebar grip. No sucking needed .

Fills it with ice and whatever at gas stops.

So does he watch movies while moving or surf the net? I guess he could post his progress including streaming video live with cellular DSL connection. Now that would be cool.

I think he needs a few more lights.

He's in 12th place (out of 97 riders) after 5 days.

I hope we get a chance to hear his comments, as well as the other RT riders (how many are there?) after the Rally.

Jay

According to the daily writeups; Rob's bike suffered a final drive failure on the way to Homer, Alaska. It was apparently replaced and he is back on the road, but with much less chance of a top finish this year.

Looks like one of the farkles that should have been on the bike was a custom case carrying a spare final drive. I wonder what would verbiage appear in the text box when you moused over that... grin.gif

I was thinking that the text in the box would go something like:

"Spare final drive, just in case. This doesn't mean that they all fail, in fact most of them don't. After all, how could a total redesign exhibit the same sort of problems as the prior generation? That would just be plain incompetent. Show me data (that as a consumer you can't possibly have) that proves there's a problem. See... you can't! And besides other bikes have problems as well. You're just a whining complainer that..." (the text box runs out of room here.)

russell_bynum

grin.gif

I really love it when they spend 9 years claiming there is no problem, then come out with a new design claiming that it fixes the old problem...which they denied ever existed in the first place.

That's some pretty impressive arrogance.

grin.gif

I really love it when they spend 9 years claiming there is no problem, then come out with a new design claiming that it fixes the old problem...which they denied ever existed in the first place.

That's some pretty impressive arrogance.

Yeah, I'm WAY out of line, but I can't resist...

I find that statement very ironic considering your usual defense of Microsoft products. tongue.gif

[/hijack]

Nonetheless, I won't deny that you're probably right about BMW's attitude. I will point out that I think that's a pretty common way of handling things for companies in this day and age.

Maybe his final drive was defective from the start. I think the bike was brand new, so I still find it surprising that the FD failed in the first week, even on an Iron Butt Rally. I wonder if it would have lasted much longer in real-life use?

Jay

Rich06FJR1300

just heard Rob Nye is out of the rally, couldn't get enough points so i guess he just said forget it. He's headed back to st. louis.

I would like to know how the hydration is hooked up etc. In TX we need it bad. Joe
You can use a 12 volt car windsheld washer pump,,and put it in any kind of bottel,,A little wire and a switch and your done thumbsup.gif

Neat link...

Am I wrong, or isn't the point of the IBR to go long distances at high speeds? If this is true, wouldn't you be better off with the taller FD ratio of the standard RT rather than the shorter ratio of the RTP? Also, and this may be semi-related, he's got somewhere around 12 gallons of fuel on board, yet he's getting only 450 miles range? How fast do they cruise in the IBR, anyway?

The true point is to complete the the most effient route while capturing the largest number of bonus points... True at times speeds may be elavated but that is a rider decision, not the focus of the Rally. It's a matter of staying on the bike, excessive high speeds just cause you to have to stop more for fuel and wear's out the rider quicker.

TinMan.

Neat link...

Am I wrong, or isn't the point of the IBR to go long distances at high speeds? If this is true, wouldn't you be better off with the taller FD ratio of the standard RT rather than the shorter ratio of the RTP? Also, and this may be semi-related, he's got somewhere around 12 gallons of fuel on board, yet he's getting only 450 miles range? How fast do they cruise in the IBR, anyway?

That's still 40+ miles per gallon on a bike running higher freeway speeds with a lower final drive ratio that a stock R1200RT. Seems reasonable.

"How fast do they cruise in the IBR, anyway?"

The speed limit. Never over the speed limit. At no time over the speed limit. The speed limit is the maximum speed they travel at. Just ask Bob Higdon. He will tell you they would never even think about going over the speed limit. lmao.gif

I was at the finishers banquet, If I had a dime for every time I heard someone say..."So, I tore down to this bonus or that bonus at 100..." I would have had a free dinner.. smile.gif.

Also I'm curious.. was this someone with a bone to pick with Nye and made this up? He was the only R1200RTP at the rally....

Archived