IGNORED

Signalminder rear running lights

carquestman1

carquestman1

I recently installed a signalminder on my 1100RT and really like all the features. However I have been told that in my state (WA)it is illegal to have amber rear running lights. I asked my local BMW dealer about it and he told me they had sold hundreds of signalminders and had never had heard of a problem. Are there any law enforcement officers out there who can verify. My son was stopped a couple of years ago on his YZF600 for aftermarket amber rear running light lenses. I think they were just looking for an excuse to stop him and check for a M/C endorcement. confused.gif

Rear facing amber running lights are illegal in all states.

That said I've put +- 30k on my RT with them with no problems from the law & I've not read of anyone here that has been cited for them

I dim mine for night time use.

Rear facing amber running lights are illegal in all states.

That said I've put +- 30k on my RT with them with no problems from the law & I've not read of anyone here that has been cited for them

I dim mine for night time use.

You are correct, technically they are illegal.

I'm on the short list of people who have been pulled over for them, at night when we still had the RT. I turned them off right then and there (amazingly under pressure I remembered the 'finger strokes' to do so!) and the LEO let me go with just a 'Leave them off' warning.

I had a pair of rear ambers on a Suzuki, never got pulled over, nor did my brother when he owned the bike. Out of the 65k miles that we put on it, the ambers were on it for at least 50k. Now the extra lights on the GS, consists of a LED lic. plate frame / running + brake lights. The RS that my wife rides has one of the BMW law enforcement LED running + brake lights on it. As of now, the K-1200 is stock.

Yeeha! Stephen

Run down to the Auto store and buy some of those Red LED bulbs that are a direct replacement for stock bulbs... they shine Red through the amber lenses.

Having actually read the Code of Virginia. I can't state that amber running lights on the rear are leagal but amber brake lights are legal. I have seen a number of japaneese sport bikes that had the amber turn signal lights illuminate with the brake light. Also the new city fire trucks illuminate their amber turn lights when the engine retarder kicks in and slow the truck. City busses flash their turn signals for the same reason.

Archived