IGNORED

The Pied Piper is underway!!

KMG_365

We're in St. George, UT tonight--GOD, it's HOT! eek.gif

It was only 105*F when we got up to the hotel here, but it was over 100*F from noon on and over 110*F for almost half of the day once we got past Victorville. Top temp was in rush hour in Lost Wages--we saw 115.5*F for a few miles crawling along at about 35mph!

We've got my PowerBook and Treo along so we'll be checking in regularly as we can.

Maybe I should use this as the start to our LIVE UnRally-VI Ride Tale! thumbsup.gif

Hi Guys,

Be safe, and be assured:

Cold _________________(fill in the blank) awaiting you in Texas. grin.gif

See you on the 29th!!

Mike & Joyce

Woo Hoo

After months of planning and anticipation, the ride begins. This should be under the excited chatter thread because now I'm really starting to get excited.

It was 100 here yesterday but we are ordering cooler weather for your arrival.

RIDE SAFE (not necessary to say but doing so anyway for good luck)

Don't forget anyone along the way. grin.gif

Looking forward to your arrival a week from today (which also happens to be the finish of the Iron Butt Rally in St. Louis)

wave.gifwave.gifwave.gifwave.gifwave.gif

Okay, we'll see if we can enlist some kind soul to take a few snaps on the trip! clap.gif

Meanwhile . . . here's the bike to keep your eye out for: MaynArianrhod, the Pied Piper! grin.gif

185312587-L.jpg

As you are going through Utah / Colorado / New Mexico, look for a red R1200-RT with a flourescent yellow jacketed rider... That would be me smile.gifwave.gif

Firefight911

May the wind be always at your back, the roads twisty and dry, and the company of each other carry you to parts East.

Enjoy, have fun, laugh, and know that I wish I was off your wing!!!!

wave.gifwave.gif

Dennis Andress
Okay, we'll see if we can enlist some kind soul to take a few snaps on the trip! clap.gif

Meanwhile . . . here's the bike to keep your eye out for: MaynArianrhod, the Pied Piper! grin.gif

185312587-L.jpg

It still has..... Floorboards!!!! eek.gifeek.gif

Not only that, but it appears from the photo that the "melding" extends to having one white and one amber Motolight!

This is the sort of madness that comes from naming your vehicles! Or maybe naming your vehicles is just another symptom... grin.gif

Yes, but it's a GOOD madness! wink.gif

It was already pushing 100*F in the shade when we got on the road at St. George, UT!

187507101-L.jpg

We got one of the employees at the Ridgeview Inn to snap a pic of us before we took off:

187507260-L.jpg

We had an absolutely FABULOUS day today and 97.x was the highest we saw all day! clap.gif

We rode out the back way out of St. George to the north and took back roads all the way to Cedar City, then the Highway 14 over Cedar Breaks and Brian Head, down into Panguitch for lunch and into Torrey via the FABULOUS Highway 12! clap.gif

An AMAZING day, scenery, weather, etc.--it's very easy to imaging living here! wink.gif

"Houston, Tranquility Base here. The Pied Piper has landed . . . at Torrey!!" clap.gif

187507375-L.jpg

Not only that, but it appears from the photo that the "melding" extends to having one white and one amber Motolight!

This is the sort of madness that comes from naming your vehicles! Or maybe naming your vehicles is just another symptom... grin.gif

We armchair psychiatrists shall monitor the patients for development of further symptoms. My prognosis for ... uh ... the bike formerly known as whateverhernameis/anothermartyhillhandmedown is that the melding could proliferate, such that the once primarily silver bike manifests sympathetic symptoms consisting of the blackening of certain tupperware, and developing an exhaust note that seems to be saying "You complete me." This condition would appear to be reversible after appropriate intervention, but isn't necessarily harmful to the patients and could be allowed to persist without significant detriment.

grin.gif

Mark Menard (Vita Rara)
"Houston, Tranquility Base here. The Pied Piper has landed . . . at Torrey!!" clap.gif

Ahhh... that was good. I can see Torrey in my mind's eye.

I'm in complete agreement on visions of living in Torrey. I can practically reach out and touch it.

Ride safe, see you in KY.

Mark

We armchair psychiatrists shall monitor the patients for development of further symptoms. My prognosis for ... uh ... the bike formerly known as whateverhernameis/anothermartyhillhandmedown is that the melding could proliferate, such that the once primarily silver bike manifests sympathetic symptoms consisting of the blackening of certain tupperware, and developing an exhaust note that seems to be saying "You complete me." This condition would appear to be reversible after appropriate intervention, but isn't necessarily harmful to the patients and could be allowed to persist without significant detriment.

grin.gif

Then again, if this "melding" of bikes were to continue at the UN who knows what the results may be? Do you want to take a chance? grin.gif

I'm not. Keeping Red parked far away to prevent any "silver parts" off of her. wave.gif

Then again, if this "melding" of bikes were to continue at the UN who knows what the results may be? Do you want to take a chance? grin.gif

I'm not. Keeping Red parked far away to prevent any "silver parts" off of her. wave.gif

I wonder how it would look with a "beak"?

I wonder how it would look with a "beak"?

lmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

Day 3:

We slept in a bit, went down to the Chuckwagon and caught Randy and Jamie (Randy's son--yet another Jamie!) for a quick conversation then played tourist in Capitol Reef National Park! We took the scenic drive out from the Visitors' Center and a 4 mile hike down "The Grand Wash" through a beautiful canyon to "The Narrows". The weather was only in the upper 90's/low 100's, but we had gatorade and water with us and Leslie did fine! Here's me on the way down:

187861336-L.jpg

Leslie stops to smell the Penstemon

187861950-L.jpg

Some more views down the canyon:

187862498-L.jpg

187862745-L.jpg

"Have I left the Gas on??" (any Eddie Izzard fans out there? lmao.gif )

187862809-L.jpg

187863370-L.jpg

Taking a breather in a little alcove . . . .

187863630-L.jpg

We met a little explorer on our hike. He was hiking up to the narrows from the bottom of the wash at the Fremont River at Hy24 (it's the shorter way to get there! dopeslap.gif ). His name was Eric and he wanted to be a cave explorer. Leslie explained to him that cave explorers were called "spelunkers" and he asked if "kids could be spelunkers too?" He was SO cute!! grin.gif

187863867-L.jpg

A bit back up the wash we saw a small arch carved in a chunk of sandstone along the way. "Eric, the Half-a-Spelunker" happily posed for a picture! Did I mention he was cute??!! grin.gif

187864444-L.jpg

More pics of the ridges and escarpments of the "Water Pocket Fold":

187864816-L.jpg

187865070-L.jpg

187865354-L.jpg

187865685-L.jpg

187865921-L.jpg

The views out along this trail are amazing! On the way back out the "scenic drive" we had to double-back to grab a shot of this marker:

187866225-L.jpg

. . . because as we came over the rise, this was our view!

187866560-L.jpg

It was just more and more of the same all the way back to Torrey. Amazing vistas, unbelievable rock formations, stunning colors, etc., etc. eek.gif

187866866-L.jpg

On the way out we stopped at an old farmhouse that was one of the original settlements of the valley which has now been turned into a small museum. They had all sorts of artifacts of the early Mormon settlements in the area. They even sold fresh baked bread (baked daily in the old ovens--samples were available topped with home-made apricot mixed with honey! thumbsup.gif ), and home-made ice cream--YUM!! smile.gif

We also had to spend some time browsing in the Visitors' Center--even though we've been to Torrey a dozen times and have been to the Visitors' Center at least a few times already . . . it's one of "The Unwritten Laws" when we travel: "Thou shalt not bypass any Visitors' Centers, and neither shalt thou make any audible grumbling noises about purchases made therein"! crazy.gifgrin.gif

They've got a new 18 minute film on the history of the area, the early settlements, and the effects of water on the landscape. Some really neat time-lapse photography of the weather patterns and double-exposure filming of the early history/settlements was really well done! The Scenic Drive is very doable for RT's and even past the paved portion all the way to the end is doable if you take it slow and put a little weight on the footpegs! cool.gif

BTW, you'll need a National Parks Pass for the bottom half, but you're already going to see Zion and Bryce . . . perhaps even the Grand Canyon on the same trip (depending on your route and tolerance for crowds! eek.gif ), so it's worth it to buy the year-long pass! thumbsup.gif

We're looking forward to seeing all of you at the UnRally . . . and everyone else at Fall Torrey XIV!!!! clap.gif

(BTW, all the "Perfect Pictures" were taken by Leslie! wink.gif )

Surely you'd been down the scenic drive before? I guess you didn't climb up the side of the narrows area to one of the water pockets since there aren't any pictures.

This is where I was today

20070825_7100.jpg

cool pics smile.gif

I'm not leaving here until Wednesday... I need to be in town Tuesday for prepping a project and I need to do work from the road on this trip a lot more than any other.

Sat phone with data kit shows up tuesday as well. So I will pretty much be cruising the slab on the way out.

Maybe I'll even beat you to WV... eek.gif

Hey Jamie & Les!

Hope you don't mind a non-biker hitching a ride on the forum... but I thought it would be a fun way to track your progress. Fantastic pictures so far - it looks like you're having a terrific time, in spite of the heat!

All is well here at home... except we're having crazy lightning & thunder - and as of ten minutes ago, actual rain! Maggie is doing great - she and Miss Hannah are playing together like best buddies. (For the rest of you on the board, I'm Jamie & Leslie's official dog-sitter, and take care of Maggie while they are off having fun with y'all.)

Keep posting those great pics, so I can enjoy the trip vicariously... love ya!

Firefight911
Hey Jamie & Les!

Hope you don't mind a non-biker hitching a ride on the forum... but I thought it would be a fun way to track your progress. Fantastic pictures so far - it looks like you're having a terrific time, in spite of the heat!

All is well here at home... except we're having crazy lightning & thunder - and as of ten minutes ago, actual rain! Maggie is doing great - she and Miss Hannah are playing together like best buddies. (For the rest of you on the board, I'm Jamie & Leslie's official dog-sitter, and take care of Maggie while they are off having fun with y'all.)

Keep posting those great pics, so I can enjoy the trip vicariously... love ya!

I can't remember what you said when we talked last night, was it 8PM BYOB or did you need me to pick up the keg and bring it over?

Either way, it's party time, San Diego style.

Oh, and the coffee is to the right of the sink in the cabinet!! Good organic coffee!!!

We'll need it tomorrow morning! thumbsup.gif

lmao.giflurker.giflmao.giflurker.giflmao.giflurker.gif

Surely you'd been down the scenic drive before? I guess you didn't climb up the side of the narrows area to one of the water pockets since there aren't any pictures.

20070825_7100.jpg

Wyoming?

20070825_7100.jpg

Wyoming?

That's Devils Tower in Wyoming. I wish I was there.

I can't believe how many of you guys I will see there from out west! I haven't seen some of you since Spokane.

And speaking of cute, someone hand me my 300 Win Mag...

187862809-L.jpg

Hey Honey! wave.gif

What a fun idea!!! Love having you here! We are having such a great time! Jamie is getting ready to add to the tale.

By the way, pay no attention to 1bmwfan. He almost never shows up where the party really is. While you're up there at the Ranch with the pups, he's thinking you're at our place anyway. Even if he wasn't such an OT slut, he'd still have the address wrong! tongue.giflmao.gif

Well, I wish I'd known/planned better. I would have popped down to Torrey to see you guys yesterday.

Glad the PP is going so well so far.

Firefight911
Hey Honey! wave.gif

What a fun idea!!! Love having you here! We are having such a great time! Jamie is getting ready to add to the tale.

By the way, pay no attention to 1bmwfan. He almost never shows up where the party really is. While you're up there at the Ranch with the pups, he's thinking you're at our place anyway. Even if he wasn't such an OT slut, he'd still have the address wrong! tongue.giflmao.gif

lmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

Have I told you how much I love you!?!?!?!?!?!?!? wave.gifwave.gif

Just a quick partial update with some teasers as we've got to get to bed:

We went to Bryce National Park today taking the UT-12 over Boulder Mountain. There were a lot of small wildfires started from lightning strikes and there was comparatively poor visibility today (like, only 120 miles compared with 12 miles in Los Angeles on an average day! eek.gif ) Here's a lookout from the Hy-12:

188402434-L.jpg

Neither of us had ever been to Bryce Canyon before! We'd ridden by it a dozen times, but were always on our way to or from somewhere and weren't staying in the area with time to spare. Another time we got waved off by a biker coming out when they were redoing the road. It was WELL worth the wait! clap.gif

I've only got time to throw up a few teasers and a few artistic shots (again, the "perfect shots" were all Leslie's! grin.gif ) The scale is really hard to describe in pictures and we only had time to hike along the rim. We parked outside and took the shuttle to the Visitors' Center ( check! wink.gif ) and then walked to the rim trail, hiked all along the "amphitheater" to the last shuttle stop about 5-6 miles away and rode the shuttle back out. Just that took us five hours and it was actually more like 8 miles, because the view changes every few hundred yards and you're always running out closer to the rim to get a better look. The weather was changeable and we got rained on a bit and even hailed on once, but it made for incredibly dramatic lighting! I wish we were better photographers with fancier equipment, but these few shots just serve to remind us of the experience and whet your appetites! grin.gif

There were many trails that led down into the narrow canyons and along the floor. Leslie did great even hiking at 8000 feet--we're going to have to come back! cool.gif

188402880-L.jpg

The pines are trying in vain to hold onto the soft soil as it's eroded away. Here you can see how much is already gone as the roots of this tree are now exposed over two feet! blush.gif

188403400-L.jpg

It was just one amazing view after another!

188403974-L.jpg

188404349-L.jpg

As the softer sandstone below a harder top cap eroded away, windows opened up in the thinner fins. Eventually the "bridge" will fall leaving the trademark "Hoodoo's" standing upright until they too fall to the forces of rain and snow and ice.

188404793-L.jpg

We're going to ride through more thunder and lightning tomorrow in Colorado!! clap.gif

Ooohhhh, Colorado, ELK country!!! Watch for 100's of first time ever elk hunters (bow hunting season opens 29th) coming from all parts of the States. They will be the ones in pickup trucks pulling trailers loaded with camping gear and all their faces will be pasted to the windows as they drive through the mountains!!!

Many will think it a once in a life time hunt and end up taking pictures of the grand Rockies and nearly forget about the elk.

I went on my first in 2001, starting from about Sante Fe, NM all I saw was tons of bikers, now the tables have turned!! I will be with the bikers this year, YEEHAAAAAA!

Keep heading this way Jamie, the days are getting shorter, and the temps cooler (72 this am), the winds of change are blowing from Colorado!

188404793-L.jpg

thumbsup.gif

Bryce is just plain magical. I haven't traveled very widely, but it is by far my favorite National Park. When I expire, I wouldn't mind having my ashes spread there.

The Pied Pipers landed safely in Westminster Colorado yesterday afternoon at our home. We did a bit of wrenching (surprise...surprise). We had a nice dinner (spent most of the evening talking about YOU folks) and didn't hit the hay to late last night (hence why no update).

188899679-M.jpg

Jamie and Les took a whole lot more pictures so I'll let them provide a more detailed update tonight. A brief, but very enjoyable visit! We'll see them off this morning and I'll post an update then.

Oh, and I wish I could be there with everyone. Last years UN was a blast and I'm sure this year's will NOT disappoint.

Regards,

Mike O

Told you they were taking a "special" nap. See how Leslie is "glowing" in that picture that Mike O took? grin.gif

Hope you didn't treat them too well while they were there Mike. Don't want the bar set too high for when they get here.

Is that rain drops on the windshield? Send it here, Please!
You can have it, rode almost all day in the rain yesterday in North Dakota and Minnesota, looks like more today...

Here's my ride tale from a couple of days ago - sorry don't have time to make a separate one here

Why is this man carrying not 1, not 2, but 3 spare alternator belts with him? (Only the "Belt Demons" in Amarillo know for sure.)

188938891-M.jpg

I begged and begged to go along, but Les said there was just NO room left on MaynArianrhod and a sidecar wasn't gonna happen.

188938935-M.jpg

Alas, they're off...!

188938997-M.jpg

Safe travels Pipe Pipers. It was fun hosting you both on this layover, and I'm REALLY looking forward to the next chance Bernie and I can get together with you again!

Regards,

Mike O

I know why he is carrying one of them. Because I might need it! ;D

Not really, it is to insure that no one needs one when he is near.

Safe travels to all.

Archived