IGNORED

Tankslapper Total Protection Kits

ZoomX7

Has anyone tried this on their RT?

Looks like a good way to go.

Yes they work really wel - especially the 3m stronger stuff on the footplates.

They can come off the tank if you use a jet sprayer at the wrong angle and I did lose one top piece from a pannier but they give good peace of mind etc.

I have been thinking of putting the black rubbery/plastic fatter pieces on the tank edges instead of the clear plastic - they look OK and I think they would be better for tank hugging with your knees - anyone know who supplies those please?

Saved several dings in my paint already. I applied the 3M tape to the front fender, headlight, lower foot panels and painted panels above mirrors and saddle bags. I didn't apply it to the tank because I'm more concerned with rock dings. Was a little difficult getting all the air bubbles out at first but now I'm a pro. Stuff is amazingly clear and barely noticeable. I'd give it a big thumbs up! thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

I've installed the protection kit on my 07 RT. I found some of the pieces improperly cut, and I could never figure out the correct positioning of the four pieces on the leading edge of the lower fairing.

My advice: practice with the extra 3M piece they supply; take your time; make sure those of delicate sensibilities are out of earshot when you install.

If I had to make a living off of installing the stuff, I'd starve. I did leave some small bubbles, tiny really, in some inconspicuous places. But in all I'd have to say it's one of the most frustrating things I've done.

However, if the film protects as advertised, then I'd say it's well worth the money. And just think of the character building you'll be doing!

Thanks all, for the input.

I'd heard installation of this stuff is a bit tough.

But I think I'll be ordering it when I get the new RT.

The painted bags will NOT be as forgiving as my '99 RT bags have been.bncry.gif

And reducing rock/road-missile damage to the frontal area would be nice.

Funny thing happened on the way home from the office today...

I decided to search some posts on this very topic tonight with an intent to keep my new RT as primo as possible as long as possible. Rather than fool with this stuff (no interest in becoming a "pro"), I'm thinking maybe just have the local detail guy who installs this 3M stuff routinely on cars do the kit instead. Mess up one major piece and I'd have to reorder a new kit. Done right, no mistakes and no waste. Me-thinks money better spent!

Jeff

R1200RT Tankslapper kit

I've installed the protection kit on my 07 RT. I found some of the pieces improperly cut, and I could never figure out the correct positioning of the four pieces on the leading edge of the lower fairing.

My advice: practice with the extra 3M piece they supply; take your time; make sure those of delicate sensibilities are out of earshot when you install.

If I had to make a living off of installing the stuff, I'd starve. I did leave some small bubbles, tiny really, in some inconspicuous places. But in all I'd have to say it's one of the most frustrating things I've done.

However, if the film protects as advertised, then I'd say it's well worth the money. And just think of the character building you'll be doing!

I installed the kit within the first month of ownership of my '07 RT. Wished I'd done it sooner since I got a small rock chip in the bike when I was demonstrating the RT's virtues to a couple of sporty-bike riders.

I'd have to agree that a few pieces are incorrectly cut, but IMO not significantly. That wouldn't stop me from ordering the kit. If there is a problem, the guy that puts the kit together is very helpful and would even help you install it if you can get to his place in Escondido, CA.

Frustrating? Hmm, depends on your POV. The kit takes time to install, 2 hours in my case (there are 22 pieces total I think), but I thought the job was kinda cathartic and it allowed me to spend some time to bond with/ogle the new ride.

So far the kit has done an admirable job protecting the paint and headlight (9000 miles since March). thumbsup.gif

As posted previously, find the kit online at, Thetankslapper.biz

I tried the Tankslapper tank protection kit on my 2007 R1200ST. It was easy to install after watching their video and getting together the right materials. I got the 3M material and it works great. I have a big belly and this kit really protects the rear of my tank.

Archived