IGNORED

Intake Valve Adjuster In Poor Condition?

Twisties

Hi,

So, Sharon (Bullett) got her '07 RT back last night from it's first 6000 mile service. We took it to a local independent BMW specialty shop that has a great reputation (Motorcycle R&R). She got the following note:

"Intake valve adjuster lock nut has been over torqued. We replaced nut. Threads on adjuster are poor."

Bike was prepped by dealer, and 600 mile service from them as well. No other service performed.

So, questions:

1. Did the dealer do this, or did it come this way from BMW? e.g. are valves adjusted at dealer prep or at the 600 mile run in service?

2. Does it need to be fixed? What is involved (major or minor, warranty or not warranty)?

Thanks,

Jan

Don_Eilenberger

Valves are adjusted at 600 mile service..

Might be warranty - try taking the mechanics note to the dealer.

Easy to replace - not a big deal if it can be R&R without removing the head bolts (I believe it could be - just one head bolt on the bottom bracket.)

Jim VonBaden
Valves are adjusted at 600 mile service..

Might be warranty - try taking the mechanics note to the dealer.

Easy to replace - not a big deal if it can be R&R without removing the head bolts (I believe it could be - just one head bolt on the bottom bracket.)

That's right Don, just the one head bolt, and it isn't too hard!

headboltsmarked.jpg

The three smaller Torx bolts, and the one head bolt on the lower right, no arrow. Lift off the lower bracket, and the rocker arm will slide out. Then just replace the adjuster.

Jim cool.gif

Thanks guys,

That seems to be a comprehensive response. We're planning to attend any local tech daze, some do it yourself seminars that Motorcycle R&R does in the winter, and start learning to do our own... I forsee Jim's DVD in our future... but for now, as newbies, we're dependent on professional service. I think we'll take the bike to the dealer for the 12,000 mile job, and show them the ticket with note and see if they will fix it. If not, I guess 12,000 will be the time our first DIY.

Archived