IGNORED

Valve Adjustment

kinchy

Jim VonBaden
Where might I find some step-by-step directions for adjusting the valves and the throttle bodies?

Thx

Check out my sigline.

Also, look for several threads I have done giving pictorials on the subject.

Jim cool.gif

Jim Von Baden

Obviously you are an excellent mechanic, but people come

here to ask advise of other BMW owners & users with

experience on the subject matter, i find it a little

disconcerting that when people ask genuine questions

they are given a sales pitch of "BUY MY DVD" for the answer

this i believe is not in the spirit of the forum and what

the users really want to achieve on the pretext of a free Universal International BMW forum.

Hope this assists

Jim is an excellent and seemingly well respected resource for folks on this and other boards. No one is forced to buy anything here. Lighten up, IMO!

Jim Von Baden

the users really want to achieve on the pretext of a free Universal International BMW forum.

Hope this assists

I see where you're coming from and I understand your point of view. It's valid, but to Jim's credit, he is also the author of numerous pictorials on basic maintenance procedures that can be found here (and other sites) for free. He didn't have to put those together and share them, but he did. He's a good guy and I don't think he was merely pandering. We all have the option of using his free work or buying his DVD--both are excellent resources and allowed me to do my 6K maintenance without any direct assistance. wave.gif

Jim VonBaden
Jim Von Baden

Hope this assists

Guess I should have added a smilie!

This line was there too, which you apparently missed, ignored, or didn't read:

Also, look for several threads I have done giving pictorials on the subject.

However, to make all feel better, here is a list of links to pictorials I have posted here FOR FREE and other forums on how to do most of the services necessary on the R bikes:

Final drive service

Crush washer measurements

24K service pictorial

Tire change pictorial

Tire change Pictorial two

Tire Plugging tutorial

Ohlins install pictorial

Lots of accessory installs and pointers

Hopefully this list will make you feel a little better about my "Check my sigline" comment.

Jim cool.gif

I appologize if it looked like a sales pitch! ooo.gif

Yeah, you're probably right by saying that JVB technically broke the rules here.

HOWEVER, as you can see from his list above, he's done a LOT of technical posts that have helped a lot of people. He's built up a strong reputation here and on other boards. Because of that credibility he's built up over the years, people tend to be very forgiving of (or not even notice) minor infractions like that from him. Now, if he'd never contributed anything before, that would be a different story.

You'll find a lot of JVB defenders here for that reason.

And it's not like the proceeds of Jim's DVD are going to be financing his next bike purchase (though I personally wouldn't begrudge him a down payment). If you take all the time he put into the thing (filming, editing, burning, not to mention coming up with the "curriculum") and then consider the limited market for this type of product, US$30 (shipped overseas) is not only a fair price, but I'd argue it almost falls under a "community service" type of business.

Do the math.

I don't begrudge Jim's low key reference to his DVD.

He has generously shared his vast knowledge with those of us here and on other boards.

just my .02 YMMV

JVB has emailed me a list of part number equivalents just because I asked in a thread where he probably emailed it out a thousand times because he offered to do so. A list he maintains and shares for the good of everyone.

I've seen him dole out good mechanical advice in so many threads here and at advrider there's no way to even estimate how many, and I've never seen him get in a pissing match with a member of either board.

The fact that he plugged his own all inclusive DVD in the same breath with telling somebody where to get the information on valve adjusts FOR FREE is telling.

It's also pretty telling that he didn't post what I would have posted in this thread which is "Jesus can't you use Google? This question has to have been asked a million damn times already on a thousand boards."

If JVB wasn't a valuable member of several on line forums sharing his knowledge, you'd have a point - but as it is, you are really accusing the wrong guy of just being here to hock his wares.

I don't begrudge Jim's low key reference to his DVD.

He has generously shared his vast knowledge with those of us here and on other boards.

just my .02 YMMV

+1

New Guy here to the site and this seemed a good place for a 1st post as I used JVB's info almost exclusivly since I aquired and rehabed a 95 r1100r, and haven't paid a dime for it.(sorry Jim) and thanks loads for all your time and info. I look forward to sifting through this site and helping where I can.

Ron

JVB has emailed me a list of part number equivalents just because I asked in a thread where he probably emailed it out a thousand times because he offered to do so. A list he maintains and shares for the good of everyone.

+3 !!! clap.gif

I've seen him dole out good mechanical advice in so many threads here and at advrider there's no way to even estimate how many, and I've never seen him get in a pissing match with a member of either board.

The fact that he plugged his own all inclusive DVD in the same breath with telling somebody where to get the information on valve adjusts FOR FREE is telling.

It's also pretty telling that he didn't post what I would have posted in this thread which is "Jesus can't you use Google? This question has to have been asked a million damn times already on a thousand boards."

If JVB wasn't a valuable member of several on line forums sharing his knowledge, you'd have a point - but as it is, you are really accusing the wrong guy of just being here to hock his wares.

Archived