IGNORED

To K or not to K

Fajah

Would like a little feedback on bikes....

I am in the market to buy a new bike, I want a sport touring bike. I road the new Coucours 14 and found the heat on the right leg so bad that I marked it off my list. Have ridden the FJR and the ST1300 and find myself coming back to BMW.

Now I need to decide K or R.....only BMW experience is with my R1100RT and I love the bike, plan of giving to my Son. I like the idea of the K horsepower and have grown used to the new style and how it looks.

I am 6'7" and the K and R fit well, at Biketoberfest I hope to do a more side by side comparison.

What comparisons should I be considering?

I am definitely NOT an expert! But 6'7"!!! Wow - that's tall!! A few of my "tall" friends - really enjoy the GS. It sits tall - it's comfortable and handles pretty good. I personally think it's ugly - but then again I ride the beautiful ST - so I'm a little biased. However - I wouldn't think you would enjoy the ST at 6'7"!!

You should test ride the GS - I think you will enjoy it!

Good luck in your search!

Ps - one other note - the R bikes are easier to work on then the K bikes (from what I've heard).

John,

I'll second the GS suggestion and also suggest looking at the new R1200RT. Especially now that the power brakes are gone with the 2007 models.

If you like the R1100RT you'll really like the R1200RT. You should take a test ride just to see what it's all about.

I've got a tall/large friend (about 6'2", I think) who rides a 2007 K1200GT. He put a peg lowering kit on it. I does reduce cornering clearance somewhat, but opens up your knees a bit. I rode it for about 50 miles, and I (5'11", 33" inseam) couldn't imagine riding it without the peg lowering kit for any distance. On the other hand, I also wouldn't imagine riding it with the stock seat for any significant distance! For my skinny butt, it's like sitting on a 2x4 on edge with an underinflated balloon under each cheek. My larger buddy can handle it better than I, but he's still gonna get a custom seat.

For me, the K is so incredibly competent that it's almost boring. Everything is sooooo easy! Gotta pass that car? Twist the grip, and it's "where'd he go?"

Compared to my RT, steering effort is lighter, riding position is sportier (even with the GT's bars all the way up), engine is much smoother, wind protection is similar, braking is similar despite the non-servo brakes, and acceleration is from another world. I didn't get into any very tight twisties or any high speeds, so I can't say much about the cornering.

I have ridden the GS and loved it, it was like playing, it was so fun. My wife travels with me a good bit and I need the touring part of the sport touring bike. So the GS is out unless I get to have 2 bikes someday....

Hey John, I just jump ship from my 1100RT over to the K1200RS. It's smooooother, fassssster but get a little less gas mileage. I'm really enjoying the K model personally and I believe you will too. Take care and ride safe. wave.gif

I love my K1200GT. I'm 6'2" and it fits me fine. It'll fit even better when my Rick Mayer seat arrives. I have 11,000 miles on it (purchased in March '07) and it was a perfect performer on my 8,000 mile trip to the Canadian Rockies. It's a great two-up bike but the trunk with backrest is outrageously expensive (over $1000 after I had it painted to match the bike's color.) Check out the K-Bike websites for more detailed info.

170067255-M.jpg

John,

You know how I feel.

If you can ride the R 1100 RT, which doesn't work for me, and you're taller, than either the R 1200 RT or K 1200 GT will work.

But, I think you'll really enjoy the K GT when you get it. grin.gif

Calvin  (no socks)

Ok to go K....

Once you go K, you'll never go back... '05 K rocket/'03 K sled...

Got 23k on a beta K 12 S.... "She" is Just getting broken in...WOW...Never look back.

To K or not, huh?

Try this… It worked for me - smile.gif

Cover your right eye

rt.jpg

Now cover your left eye

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx rs.jpg

Now open both eyes

rsleft.jpgrs.jpg

MUCH better, huh??? grin.gif

grin.gif

Nice pics, Laney. thumbsup.gif

John,

Also, be careful about letting your pillion have a K ride.

They may not want to go back to the Boxer.

My wife won't. tongue.gif

John.

I am 6'4" inseam of 34" and have gone from a R1150RT to a K1200S. I have found that the RT was a good bike for touring, great weather protection but just lacked that x factor in terms of performance and handling. On long rides I found the upright seating position was a strain on the knees. I have found the S easier on the knees and just has that x factor in terms of performance and handling over the RT. The 1150RT engine has some issues with rough idling at revs i.e surging and the S does not like sitting at under 2,500 revs or lower i.e "surging" With the RT I did 7000 odd miles in two years and on the S have done 9000 miles in 18 months. The S for me is much more fun to ride. It is not the perfect bike but it is almost perfect for me. I have not ridden the new RT or GT, but have ridden a K1200R. I preferred the S for the fairing. Good luck

I am 6'1" and the K fits perfectly. Although for rides longer than 150km, my legs can start to feel a little cramped - and i'm happy to stop and refuel.

I think that at 6'7", you may be a little uncomfortable.

My initial thoughts would be to either try a R1200GS (fantastic bike!), or a R1200RT (SAND BEIGE cool.gif) with a peg-lowering kit.

On the RT, my right knee becomes 'sore' after around 300km - so i fixed this problem with the kit:

http://www.nippynormans.com/prodinfo.asp...7&mitem=108

One day, i would love to own a GS, but for touring & comfort combined, you can't beat the RT. For your height, all you'll have to do is add a +3+2 Cee Baileys, and you're set!!

Best of luck & i hope you find the bike you are looking for.

188990684-M.jpg

Hey jr, I'm having such a struggle with surging that I can't seem to get fixed on my R1100RT, that I'm beginning to think that maybe I should shift over to a K bike. Do the K bikes have any surging problems? My question about surging on the oilhead board got such varied responses, but it's clear that there is definitely a problem with these bikes that lots of people are trying to work around. I kind of feel funny paying over $15K for a bike and a few years later having to struggle with what seems to me to be an unfixable "defect", that requires lots of tweaking and questioning. I need to test ride a K, but it seems you're pretty happy with the switch, eh? I'd like a bike for weekend touring, but also comfortable around town, and I don't know how the K would compare with my Ducati Monster 800. Any thoughts? Thanks, Russell

K's don't surge.

Yes they can. Mine did until I finally changed out my ECU with one that had a newer version program in it.

It's not a widely known problem but it's there on some of the older ones and the only repair is to swap out the ECU.

You might want to pick up a good used K bike for around $7,000.00 and ride it around awhile to see if it's a good fit for you.

If not ........ you will still be able to get out of it for little or no loss, as $7,000.00 is about the bottom dollar for these bikes that I've seen.

I picked my '98 Taxi with full Ohlins on it a couple years ago for about that much through a dealer and it only had 16,000 miles on it.

Jerry,

The ECU swap was for cold start issues and hesitation cut off at start.

The K surge was rare, and easily remedied, unlike a surging boxer which eith gets fixed, requires continual fixing, or can't quite seem to get fixed.

Hence, K's don't surge, because you can eliminate it. grin.gif

You're right, there are some low mileage ones out there that could be resold with very little cost to try.

I'd suggest something from the '02 range or newer, unless the bike fits as is, due to the ergo changes then.

Also, personally, I like the integration of the turn signals then.

But, the early ones are just as fast. cool.gif

Best wishes.

Jerry,

The ECU swap was for cold start issues and hesitation cut off at start.

The K surge was rare, and easily remedied, unlike a surging boxer which eith gets fixed, requires continual fixing, or can't quite seem to get fixed.

Hence, K's don't surge, because you can eliminate it. grin.gif

I wasn't thinking about that one. Your right about that problem. I was thinking about the surge when you roll off the throttle slightly at 4,000 RPM's and the injectors stop working for a second and then come back alive.

Take a look at this for more about it.

K's don't surge.

Say what??? My 1100LT did until the TPS was adjusted. Like any Beemer, smooth engines are all about tuning. Even my 1150RT is now purring like a cat.

As for height, I'm 6'3" and would suspect any of the bikes, RT/GT or GS will suit you fine even if you are 4" taller. As long as your knees aren't rubbing up against the fairing all the time you should be OK. Don't forget you can always customize to fit: shim the seat a little higher, get a taller windshield (mine is a +7" Cee Bailey) add a bar riser, and get a modified seat.

You'd be in good company, as I suspect there are very few of us riding purely stock bikes.

What.

Your K 1100 needed adjustment, The surge was maintenance related.

BMW "surging" with Boxers was both maintenance related, and an issue with the fuel management system. It is one of the reasons the dual plug design is used.

Any engine can be out of tune.

That is different from the classic BMW surging caused by the ssystem hunting for proper ratios of fuel/air mixture.

There is a difference between surging by design and an engine out of tune.

I'd bet that, barring mechanical damage from someone futzing with it, your K bike ran fine after adjusting the TPS.

There are Boxers that will surge regardless of state of tune and maintenance.

Best wishes.

Archived