Mixing tire brands

NonComp

When I bought my bike it came with a set of Dunlops on it. The rear was mostly flattened out but the front still looks reasonable. I had to dismount the rear to have the rim straightened, so decided to stick a new Metzler 880 on in its place. Are there any issues with mixing tire brands that I should be aware of?

ShovelStrokeEd

No serious issues. I do it all the time as my Blackbird has a tendency to wear rears way before the front is gone. You might notice a difference in feel on turn-in with one profile vs another.

If your front looks to be at 80% and has not dramatically changed its profile you should be fine. I have noticed with my fronts that, since I do a lot of highway riding, the profile does tend to change to a flatter one over time and this is my signal to change to a new one with the next rear.

My last front, Pilot Road, looked to be OK other than a slightly raised section in the center. A 1500 mile round trip put paid to that as the handling was just ugly for the last 700 or so miles. Delayed turn-in followed by a light slip from the front. Tread looked OK but the profile was way off and as the front transitioned off the flat spot, it got ugly.

I'm gonna put another BT-014 on the rear as I got decent mileage as well as performance out of this past set. I might just do a pair though as the front now has about 7500 miles on it and certainly won't go another 9K to match the rear. Fronts are cheap at around $120 + mount and balance. I just talked myself into changing the set.

This is the cheap scot in me talking, but has anyone experimented with spinning the wheel and taking a piece of sandpaper or file or grinding disk to it to smooth the profile transition where it flattens out in the center? I remember stories from the 70's of Kenny Roberts taking a razor blade to his racing slicks to cut rain grooves in his tires before a race...

This is the cheap scot in me talking, but has anyone experimented with spinning the wheel and taking a piece of sandpaper or file or grinding disk to it to smooth the profile transition where it flattens out in the center? I remember stories from the 70's of Kenny Roberts taking a razor blade to his racing slicks to cut rain grooves in his tires before a race...

Apparently I'm a cheap bastard too...I haven't tried this but the thought crossed my mind a few times. confused.gifblush.gif

Yeah, it just seems like you could take the mini-grinder and just smooth them out a bit, doesn't it? If you had a way of spinning them while you were shaping them, that might be just the ticket. Having said that though, I think I'd be reluctant to fire her up on the center stand, stick her in gear and then walk around the back and start grinding. Seems like a potential disaster waiting to happen. grin.gif

Tires, normally dirt track tires, were custom cut with a razor blade in order to fine tune the tread pattern to the track conditions.

The tire cutters that smoothed out weird tread wear on automobiles spun the tire and cut the tire round again with a spinning cutter. Tires do not grind well. If they did, they wouldn't wear very long. Tires are so cheap now compared to labor that I haven't seen that done for years.

There was an article years ago about that very thing. Whip out the right angle grinder or a good rasp and reshaped the edge to remove that sharp angle. Less tire to wear but smooth transition while it does last. wave.gif

There was an article years ago about that very thing. Whip out the right angle grinder or a good rasp and reshaped the edge to remove that sharp angle. Less tire to wear but smooth transition while it does last. wave.gif
Hmm, maybe a belt sander... lurker.gif
justplainray

what about the "remanufactured" tires from TOMAHAWK? one has no idea what brand of tire carcass is under that new rub ber. (i wouldn't trust those tires around the block) and this from a guy who put 8000 miles on a rear tire with a repair plug in the middle of the tread.

Retreads? On a bike? Is that even legal? Man, I've seen enough caps come off truck tires. I can't even imagine what that would be like on a bike!

Retreads? On a bike? Is that even legal? Man, I've seen enough caps come off truck tires. I can't even imagine what that would be like on a bike!

OMG !!!!!! eek.gifbncry.gif

justplainray

oh yeah...search Tomahawk tires...their web site is called cycletires.com

you won't believe it...you can even get them in colors lmao.gif

The do say that they retread aircraft tires with the same process. Mind you, they claim to have only "10,000 units in service" since 1995. Looks like it is mostly for stunt drivers to do burn-outs on.

Hmm, maybe a belt sander... lurker.gif

Hmmmmm...........

Let me know how that goes.

lurker.gif

Archived