IGNORED

Top Case Lockset removal

pclarin

Hi Gents:

I bought a used topcase from one of our esteemed members along with a new lockset from Bob's.

Any advice on removing the old lockset and installing the new?

If anyone has the directions in paper form and would fax me a copy debt, I'll be in your debt!

fax 305-295-8002

Help! Help! Help!

paul

Hi Paul,

While there's absolutely no doubt this site rocks, rolls and rules, I suggest getting on ibmwr.org and looking in their "tech" files under "other". There you'll find a verbal description as well as a link to photos depicting the process.

Wooster

oh yes, I dispute the first step in the 'other' file yet agree completely with its link. That is, I don't think you "turn large nut counter clockwise" to remove locking cylinder; rather, it's just inserting small rod (straightened paper clip works) in tiny hole near key's slot while inserting/turning key and then pulling out key w/locking cylinder. Careful now, if you then remove key from cylinder (cylinder out of case) all the flat locking pieces are likely to shoot out in several directions !

Thanks much Jonathan.

I just knew a description would be someplace to be found but after many searches came up empty.

Thanks again!

paul

You all are braver than I. I had the dealer do it for me.... I once saw all the little pieces flying around and it scared me.

Mike crazy.gif

Thanks to all who posted and pm'd me. I was making that job way more complicated than I needed to. In fact, after the wonderful advice, I had the job done and the case on the RT in under 10 minutes.

clap.gif

Got that merit badge.

paul

Archived