IGNORED

ATGATT???

ahirsch

As Al and Michael have said, it means All The Gear, All The Time. What has never been pinned down though is what is meant by "All The Gear", that is a personal choice. To some it would be full helmet, leather gloves, bike boots, race leathers, armour and spine protector. Others count a 3/4 helmet, gloves, textile jacket and jeans to be ATG. To me it is a Triumph armoured textile motorcycle jacket, BMW armoured textile motorcycle trousers, Shuberth Concept flip-front helmet, leather gloves (Frank Thomas kangaroo leather in the summer, Dianese winter gloves) and AltBerg custom-fitted hand-made bike boots.

I need to dress for the wet, temperate, UK weather and my gear would not be appropriate for a warm dry climate or a cold climate.

The main point is wear what you are comfortable with but offers appropriate protection. Being too hot or too cold is as dangerous as riding under the influence.

Andy

As Al and Michael have said, it means All The Gear, All The Time. What has never been pinned down though is what is meant by "All The Gear", that is a personal choice. To some it would be full helmet, leather gloves, bike boots, race leathers, armour and spine protector. Others count a 3/4 helmet, gloves, textile jacket and jeans to be ATG. To me it is a Triumph armoured textile motorcycle jacket, BMW armoured textile motorcycle trousers, Shuberth Concept flip-front helmet, leather gloves (Frank Thomas kangaroo leather in the summer, Dianese winter gloves) and AltBerg custom-fitted hand-made bike boots.

I need to dress for the wet, temperate, UK weather and my gear would not be appropriate for a warm dry climate or a cold climate.

The main point is wear what you are comfortable with but offers appropriate protection. Being too hot or too cold is as dangerous as riding under the influence.

Andy

I add eye and ear protection to the list. wave.gif

For my wife and I ATGATT includes full helmet, armoured jacket, gloves and riding boots. Our compromise for comfort and conveience is just wearing jeans.

Following ATGATT in my opinon means that no matter the weather or distance of the ride, you wear your normal full protection.

There's good enough gear that flexible enough to ride comfortably for at least a few hours from 30F up to a heat index of about 100F. That's our personal range with a mesh textile jacket with a waterproof liner, rain pants a heated vest, 2 pairs of gloves and a balcava combined with heated seats and grips and the RT's fairing.

Andy

Well put Andy! I agree with that statement. While I wear protective pants, jacket, gloves, helmet, etc. almost all of the time I draw the line when it get's too hot making me more distracted and more likely to have an accident. That being said, it takes upper 90's for that to happen to me but to each his own.

Everyone has their own way of handling safety gear and I respect their choices. I met a guy just recently that wouldn't wear a helmet. Said that in Minneapolis we used to have a law restricting motorcyclists from wearing helmets because it restricted their vision. While I'm doubtful of his acuracy and while my vision is not impaired I respect his choice. He was one of the nicest guys I've ever met and I'm glad to meet so many people while out riding. If I let gear choice get in my way I'd sure be lonely! grin.gif

Said that in Minneapolis we used to have a law restricting motorcyclists from wearing helmets because it restricted their vision.
What color was the sky in his world?

For me:

Full helmet. Armored textile jacket and pants, elk skin gloves , boots.

Hot, too darned hot some of the time in S. Illinois. But that's how it goes.

Slight hijack. Riding to the top of Mt. Evans in Colorado last week I took off one glove so I could hold a camera to record my buddy riding in front of me. I felt extremely NAKED without both gloves. Scared the heck out of me and I stopped and put the glove back on.

Now if ATGATT was whatever you regularly wore, as some suggested, then for some riders it would be tank top, shorts , flip flops and Ray Bans. lmao.gif

Some ATGATTers go a bit over board. I know someone who puts their helmet on to move their bike from garage to driveway. A bit overboard for me.

Oh, helmet, textile armour jacket and pants, gloves, boots. Oh yeah, and some marbles! lmao.gif

Looking for good set of leathers. Seems no makes em anymore. Most of em look like they belong on 08 BMW RT riders! lmao.gif

Paul Mihalka
Looking for good set of leathers. Seems no makes em anymore. Most of em look like they belong on 08 BMW RT riders! lmao.gif
Check out the Harley Davidson "FXRG" line. Conservative cut, all black, water-resistent leather with waterproof lining, VERY descreet Harley Davidson labeling, not dayglow orange.
Let's not forget: ATGATTEWITFH ....

...and living in Texas, I knew exactly what you meant! blush.gif

Interesting comment regarding ATGATT in extreme (too hot or cold) temperatures possibly becoming a major distraction to the rider: i.e. contributing to a ?????

Never thought of it that way; while not a fanatic, always helmet, gloves, over-ankle boots and armored jacket. Not always armored pants; guess I've been "adjusting" to conditions! smile.gif

Some ATGATTers go a bit over board. I know someone who puts their helmet on to move their bike from garage to driveway. A bit overboard for me.

I wrestle with this all the time...after I read about the gentleman who owned a BMW dealership in Florida who died while taking a customers bike for a spin around the parkinglot to check out a brake noise (fell and hit his head on a concrete post) or the m/c drag racer who crashed on a mini bike on the way back to the pit to get...you guessed it, his helmet, before a run and spent the balance of the season recovering from a concussive brain injury I have to wonder if NOT wearing my helmet to ride the bike out of the backyard is such a good idea.

And...full armor suit(mesh in the summer), boots, gloves, full length back protector.

ATGATT may well be the reason I quit riding at some point, what a pain it is to go through all that to ride to the store (my GS is my sole transportation 8 months of the year.) Kinda like the kid who suits up to go out in the snow and THEN has to go potty. grin.gif

A lot of people in hot weather seem to draw the line at armored pants, electing instead for jeans. But I'll say, if you haven't tired a pair of good armored mesh pants, you should. MUCH cooler than jeans IMHO.

And also invest in a cooling vest. They're darn near a miracle.

Check out the Harley Davidson "FXRG" line. Conservative cut, all black, water-resistent leather with waterproof lining, VERY descreet Harley Davidson labeling, not dayglow orange.

Now Paul, You've been on here long enough to read some of the crap I've posted.

Harley leathers???? lmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

I wrestle with this all the time...after I read about the gentleman who owned a BMW dealership in Florida who died while taking a customers bike for a spin around the parkinglot to check out a brake noise (fell and hit his head on a concrete post) or the m/c drag racer who crashed on a mini bike on the way back to the pit to get...you guessed it, his helmet, before a run and spent the balance of the season recovering from a concussive brain injury I have to wonder if NOT wearing my helmet to ride the bike out of the backyard is such a good idea.

And...full armor suit(mesh in the summer), boots, gloves, full length back protector.

ATGATT may well be the reason I quit riding at some point, what a pain it is to go through all that to ride to the store (my GS is my sole transportation 8 months of the year.) Kinda like the kid who suits up to go out in the snow and THEN has to go potty. grin.gif

Here is my personal rule. If I am going to start the engine to move the bike around the house. Helmet and gloves. Oh and long pants. That damn exhaust line is very close to the side especially if the bike is on its side. DAMHIK blush.gif

Paul Mihalka
Now Paul, You've been on here long enough to read some of the crap I've posted.

Harley leathers???? lmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

YES. I have them, I wear them, I found them the best touring leathers you can buy and I have easy access to most anything. My BMW keeps running even if my a$$ is in Harley leathers when I sit on it grin.gif
My BMW keeps running even if my a$$ is in Harley leathers when I sit on it grin.gif

And it doesn't void your warranty? lmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

and, if the answer to the above question is "no," do they come in women's sizes?

Dennis Andress

Interesting comment regarding ATGATT in extreme (too hot or cold) temperatures possibly becoming a major distraction to the rider: i.e. contributing to a ?????

Never thought of it that way; while not a fanatic, always helmet, gloves, over-ankle boots and armored jacket. Not always armored pants; guess I've been "adjusting" to conditions! smile.gif

Steves1150plus50 gets the credit for ATGATTEWITFH. Full gear is often too warm for slow riding or in traffic. However, I find its much better to have everything on when riding in the desert. It helps to slow water loss by keeping my body out of the hot air and insulation does work both ways. The combination of mesh gear, a cool vest, and a Camelback makes desert heat safer and saner.

Dennis

What has never been pinned down though is what is meant by "All The Gear", that is a personal choice.

Many variations above on defining "ATG" but all have missed a critical piece of gear - seems we are forgetting the condoms.

Basically gear you would want to be wearing if you were in a motorcycle crash...Head protection, body armor to protect knees, hips, elbows, shoulders, ankles and hands, and clothing that is abrasion, shear and tear resistant in case you slide for 50 feet or so.

Not that we all like to dress up like Darth Vader mind you, but you could be the bestest, safest rider in the world and without warning, someone pulls out if front of you while your doing 40 mph, or you hit a patch of sand or gravel while going through a turn, or you just plain get rear ended.

Most of us ride accident free, but the truth is it could happen anytime anywhere.

frown.gif

Francois_Dumas
What has never been pinned down though is what is meant by "All The Gear", that is a personal choice.

Many variations above on defining "ATG" but all have missed a critical piece of gear - seems we are forgetting the condoms.

What !? And eliminate the very LAST risk in your well-protected life as well!!??? Boring !!!! lmao.giflmao.gif

lurker.gif

hEC, i just throw on my electric Gerbing's everyday now..no matter what the weather. I'm done with being cold..! clap.giflmao.gifdopeslap.gifdopeslap.gif

Thanks from another "what that mean?" person.

I always get the question "Aren't you hot?" in my 'Stitch from the cruiser rider tucking their leather jacket in the bungee cords before the ride into the sun.

They just never figure it out. dopeslap.gif

Thanks from another "what that mean?" person.

I always get the question "Aren't you hot?" in my 'Stitch from the cruiser rider tucking their leather jacket in the bungee cords before the ride into the sun.

They just never figure it out. dopeslap.gif

I was feeding my bike Thursday night and started talking to someone about my bike and gear. Got the same question. Just told that as long as I keep moving I'm fine. Also told him that I dress for the fall not the ride. He said he never thought of it that way. Since he was thinking of getting a bike I think I may have just enlightened someone to ATGATT with that statement.

A lot of people in hot weather seem to draw the line at armored pants, electing instead for jeans. But I'll say, if you haven't tired a pair of good armored mesh pants, you should. MUCH cooler than jeans IMHO.

+1 yep, yep, yep.

I just discovered armored mesh pants. A pair of "hot season" under-armor skivvies with mesh armor pants on top - makes me as happy as a Scotsman in a kilt on a breezy day.

+1 yep, yep, yep.

I just discovered armored mesh pants. A pair of "hot season" under-armor skivvies with mesh armor pants on top - makes me as happy as a Scotsman in a kilt on a breezy day.

Oh Great!!! Now how am I going to get that image out of my mind? lmao.gif

I'm pretty much an ATTGATT fanatic for me personally, but I do recognize personal choice. Given that, it has always amazed me that people ride in jeans. When we crash, in addition to the head, it is the lower extremities that usually take the brunt of the impacts. Once retracted from trying to "stop" the fall, our arms instinctively seem to draw inward to help protect the chest, where the heart and lungs are. However, the legs and feet are left out there, their inertia helping them to flail about mercilessly, or to take the brunt of a "whip" impact. Same with the derriere. It's right at the mid-body hinge and is quite exposed.

We service tons of police bikes at our dealership. And in speaking with the officers, feet, ankle and leg injuries are the most common injuries they see at the accidents to which they attend.

I've often said that in the 0.3 seconds between "Oh, Sh#t" and impact, you can't call "time out" in order to run home and put your good gear on, and then resume your accident. You either have it on when you get on the bike, or you forego its abilities to protect. Personally, I would rather be sweaty, even miserably wet/sticky/stinky sweaty, than injured. And since one never knows when some idjet is going to t-bone us, turn left in front of us, change lanes into us, or nail us from behind (not to mention the things we are capable of screwing up ourselves, best intentions notwithstanding), my personal choice is to do everything I can to ensure that the gear is not needed, yet to ride fully prepared and equipped for the real-world possibilities, however remote. There are no "do-overs." There's only "do-before."

As usual, YMMV.

I agree Paul, HD has had some very good riding clothing for some time. Since they're also in the business of creating "fashion" clothing people often don't realize real riding clothes are available too. I have some excellent textile riding gear (jacket and pants) and probably the best rain suit I've ever owned. Both have HD logos that don't bother me in the least.

Okay, I had a look, my, a bit hefty in the price range. $500.00 plus for the jacket. I was afraid to look at the pants.

BTW I didn't notice but do they zip together?

The Motoport vented kevlar riding gear with liners for rain for jacket and pants and a fleece for the jacket pushed over $1,100 plus a custom fee of $400. We had three sets made, two for me and one for the wife. Plus 4 pair of kevlar jeans, the total purchase was just over $5,100.

Personal experience on a recent trip was that I was cooler in the vented kevlar pants that I was in just cotton underwear and jeans on a vinyl Goldwing seat.

Archived