Brake Failure

beagle

A few weeks ago I had a problem with anti lock failure, and the Idiot light below it going off too. My local dealer fixed the problem, (brake adjust) but it came back. Here's the important info: New battery, good connections. Ride the bike in hot weather for an hour ot two, shut down, start up a little later, and bam, brake failure. Turn the bike off a few times and it resets. I'm out of town, and the local dealer can't get me in until Tuesday, and I need to be 400 miles from here this weekend - with the bike as my only transport. I know it's a long shot, but I think heat has something to do with it. I rode 1200 miles last weekend in the cold and rain and nothing happened. Any input?

When in failure mode, beyond the light being on, how do the brakes actually behave? Do you still have servo assist, normal braking w/o ABS?

Dead. But if you reset the bike one or two times, the problem goes away. Last night I did just that, took the bike up to 50, nailed the brakes - no sweat. The local dealer said, and i quote "check your tail light bulb for corrosion"?! I'm a small engine mechanic, a harley mechanic, not a BMW Mechanic, but that is pretty crazy.

Paul Mihalka

Is your servo/ABS system not initializing when you start the bike? The most common reason for that is a problem with a brake light switch. For the system to check properly both hand and foot brake have to be off. Next time when you start and you have a brake failure, before you ride away check your brake light. If the brake light is on, that is the problem. It can be a bad switch, it can be some crud/pebble at the foot brake switch, it can be a badly adjusted foot brake switch - not enough play in the pedal. The case that you some times have the problem and some times not, also points to the brake light switches.

Dead. But if you reset the bike one or two times, the problem goes away. Last night I did just that, took the bike up to 50, nailed the brakes - no sweat. The local dealer said, and i quote "check your tail light bulb for corrosion"?! I'm a small engine mechanic, a harley mechanic, not a BMW Mechanic, but that is pretty crazy.

Beagle, as mentioned it could be a hanging or faulty switch.. Or a sensor problem,, or a relay problem,, or unrelated to anything sensible..

My first advise is to get the local dealer to at least use their equipment & read the brake codes out for you (it only takes a short time).. I should think they would at least do that if you are on a trip.. With the brake failure codes known there would be a lot less guessing on our part..

If you just can’t get the brake codes then telling us what your ABS & general brake warning lights are doing will help us help you a LOT.. Such as: are BOTH lights ON STEADY or are BOTH lights FLASHING together or ALTERNATLY,, how fast are they flashing (per second).. As mentioned above can you hear the system initiate as you slowly ride off.. It could be a stuck switch but those usually don’t just go away with a few ignition re-start cycles (unless you are operating the brake pedal or lever as well as doing the ignition reset cycles)..

That “check your tail light for corrosion” is a cop out on the dealers part__ That can leave the warning light on but won’t cause a no power brake condition nor prevent the brakes from working..

Give us ALL the information you have on the warning lights,, ABS controller sounds,, etc..

Twisty

On my late '05 GS, the wire from the front ABS sensor had been routed so that it intermittently rubbed against the left brake rotor. The wire's insulation had been rubbed through resulting in symptoms similar to what you've described. (This turned out to be a BMW recall/TSB issue). The fix was to replace the entire sensor and add some little wire securing clips so it wouldn't happen again.

Currently my 2002 R1150RT is having similar problems.

Initially, my general warning light and brake failure light where alternating. I installed new rear brake pads (53,000 they where over due for replacement) and upon turning the ignition key on and off taking 2X, test-drove, all appeared fine. However the following day problem returned, no servo assist. General warning light and brake failure light not alternating any more, brake failure light now flashing at about 4x per second. General warning light on all the time.

I have an appointment at the dealer today.

I explaind the trip part to the dealer, he said they could look at it monday. My dealer back home fixed a front brake sensor 3 weeks ago, but the problem came back. I'll count the blinks tonight, and see what it says.

thanks

Archived