IGNORED

1200GS wire-spoke wheel: rim lip thickness?

Joe Frickin' Friday

Joe Frickin' Friday

Hey folks,

I need a measurement. Next time someone changes their tire on a 1200GS with the wire-spoke wheel, could you please measure the thickness of the rim lip? This is the part where the wire spokes anchor at the rim, i.e. the part that is just about impossible to wedge into the jaws of a Harbor Freight tire changing stand.

912073-rim.jpg

912073-rim.jpg.7505bf5a517043bb9ffe7863f60229d1.jpg

Jim VonBaden
Hey folks,

I need a measurement. Next time someone changes their tire on a 1200GS with the wire-spoke wheel, could you please measure the thickness of the rim lip? This is the part where the wire spokes anchor at the rim, i.e. the part that is just about impossible to wedge into the jaws of a Harbor Freight tire changing stand.

912073-rim.jpg

Which is why I have these:

15HF-Rim-Protector.jpg

0001-HF-Clamp4.jpg

My friend Kermit made them, and they work great. No fear of scratching a wheel, and the hold the fat wire wheel just fine.

We added some strips of rubber inner tube so they would not allow the wheel to slip as much.

Jim cool.gif

166168273-M.jpg

I did this...works like a champ

Here's the whole write up

http://www.motorcyclistcafe.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3737

Mitch, use the Mojo...love it.

Rog

Looks good Rog! thumbsup.gif

Just one piece of advice, countersinc the bolt or when you set your wheel up on it you will scratch it up.

Jim cool.gif

Yea, I did it after the pic was taken. It was a WTF moment. I did the other 2 and forgot 1.

Rog

Archived