IGNORED

Front tire unique wear

SinNH

Never seen it before in any other BMW I've owned, a friend on a 01 K12RS has the same *issue*.

My front Avon Storm is down to the tire bars (TWI) and cupped badly only on the left side after 4800 miles , center and right probably have another 1500 miles left on those parts.

I'm anal bout tire pressure , check before every ride.

Run 39/40 psi front and 42 rear.

Something worn out in the front after 30 k ? frown.gif

Machine tracks fine , zero pull either way.

I don't putt around, and am a heavy front brake user.

As aways thanks,

Steve

Every set of tires I have had on my '04 RT has had similar wear. I think they all do that. Tire brands and pressure can affect the pattern but not eliminate the uneven wear.

Al Navecky Jr
Every set of tires I have had on my '04 RT has had similar wear. I think they all do that. Tire brands and pressure can affect the pattern but not eliminate the uneven wear.

+1 with my 00 RT and my 98 Honda SuperHawk

My Goldwing used to do the same thing. It was suggested that even slightly crowned roads were the culpret. My BT020 that I recently took off my R12RT was badly cupped on both sides, but then it had lots of miles on it.

Thanks all for the input . I had searched and read most of that previous information, thanks but,,,,,,

I guess my real question is, why this bike ? tongue.gif

Mostly same roads, same riding style, same speeds sort of, same pilot ,but oddly, not an issue on my K11,and have gone though almost two sets of Storms on that bike and ride it just as rapid.

I guess,

*Ain't no use in wondering why Babe, it don't matter anyhow*. grin.gif

Telelever/frame geometry thing probably , my K11 has a conventional front end.

Metz 880's next for comparison, I think.

Steve

SinNH muses "Metz 880's next for comparison, I think."

Two sets of radial ME880s (4 rears and two fronts) and I have had cupping on all the rear tires. Looking at the front the other day and found I had cupping on it as well. 41psi front and rear.

Just perusing this forum for what Avons people are running and found this thread. Found a nail in my rear tire last Saturday so time to change.

Thanks all for the input . I had searched and read most of that previous information, thanks but,,,,,,

I guess my real question is, why this bike ? tongue.gif

Mostly same roads, same riding style, same speeds sort of, same pilot ,but oddly, not an issue on my K11,and have gone though almost two sets of Storms on that bike and ride it just as rapid.

I guess,

*Ain't no use in wondering why Babe, it don't matter anyhow*. grin.gif

Telelever/frame geometry thing probably , my K11 has a conventional front end.

Metz 880's next for comparison, I think.

Steve

OK all of you crowned roads and left hand turn folks. What say you about why the K bike didn't exhibit this wear?

OK all of you crowned roads and left hand turn folks. What say you about why the K bike didn't exhibit this wear?

One Word - Magnets

One Word - Magnets

clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

I have to say that my front cupping and odd tire wear problems disappeared when I replaced my front shock. thumbsup.gif

Vt,did you get cupping from different brands of tires before the shock change ?

What make new shock ?

Steve

As best I can tell from most posts here, these bikes ALL pull to the right. My '02 RT is the only motorcycle I've ever owned (and I've owned a bunch) that did this. It may be due to the rotational forces imposed by the boxer engine or the right side favored weight distribution or whatever else causes it, I don't know. This is going to cause asymmetrical tire wear. I doubt the crown of the roadway or any other extrinsic factors has much to do with it. It is what it is.

Paul

Archived