IGNORED

Rainy Day on the Track

litigator

I attended Keith Code's California Super Bike school at Pocono on Monday. In the morning it misted, and in the afternoon it poured. I've never ridden aggressively in the wet before, although in 40 years of riding I've ridden in plenty of wet. The experience was astounding. I rode my GS, with new Tourances shooting rooster tails all around the track. I got the chicken strips down to about half an inch.

Riding in the rain will never be as intimidating again.

russell_bynum

Fantastic!

I've only been fortunate enough to have one session in a heavy rain (and one on a drying track), but I learned more in that 20 minute session than I do during an entire day normally. It may not be quite as fun, but there's no substitute for rain time to build your skills, teach you about being smooth, and show you just how muh traction is really available.

I did this once on my CBR600F4i. It was raining or wet for all but the last few session of the day. I had a set of DOT race tires with almost no rain grooves on them so it was a real learning experience. I learn a lot about tire feedback and feeling the road for traction. Overall it was the best track day expereince I ever had. Later as the track dried out you got a feel for how much additonal traction you had.

I also watched a guy low side dirently in front of me early in the day when the track was damp. Great pracice for the road, since your forced to focus only on holding your line and ridng smoothly past the situation. I rode in the advanced group so I also learned to pass safely and have somone come up the inside of me in a turn leaned fully over. Teaches you to have a cool head.

Track days in all conditions are the best thing a rider can do to imrpove their skills.

I might try and find a track day next year that will let me take my RT on the track with my wife. I think it would be a fun experience. I'd have to find her a cheap set of leathers.

lawnchairboy

Track days in all conditions are the best thing a rider can do to imrpove their skills.

yes, I am a believer now. Now all I need is the time to get back on the track!

Archived