IGNORED

02 Sensor Bosch Replacement

adkbeemer

G-day folks. I've got a bad 02 Sensor on my 02 R1150RT and need to replace it.

I've done a few searches here and elsewhere on the Bosch replacement and found a few conflicting part numbers.

I want to use the Bosch Universal 4 wire and have seen Bosch 15729. Anyone replace their O2 sensor and can confirm this is the right one? Thanks clap.gif

Thanks Jerry, I have used beemerboneyard in the past - great folks. However, they are selling the same "universal" Bosch I can get at Autozone today with no shipping, etc for less. I just want to know the part number... crazy.gif

G-day folks. I've got a bad 02 Sensor on my 02 R1150RT and need to replace it.

I've done a few searches here and elsewhere on the Bosch replacement and found a few conflicting part numbers.

I want to use the Bosch Universal 4 wire and have seen Bosch 15729. Anyone replace their O2 sensor and can confirm this is the right one? Thanks clap.gif

About all automotive narrow band Lambda (02) sensors are pretty much alike & use some type of zirconium ceramic oxygen comparators..

With that in mind there are a few things to keep in mind when substituting Lambda sensors.. The first is the sensor length that extends into the exhaust pipe, not a problem on a large diameter automotive pipe but if overly long can be a problem on small motorcycle pipes… Next is the place they get their outside oxygen source form.. Some get the outside air down through the long boot covering the wires (on those you don’t want to tie strap them very tight around the wire covering) but they do breathe clean air from high up under the fairing.. Others get the air from the end of the metal cap on the sensor itself (prone to dirt & water contamination) others yet breathe through a rubber bellows sticking up from the sensor.. Then you have the 02 heater capacity & power usage (those are heated 02’s) .. Even the duration of heating warm up cycle can vary from sensor type to sensor type (doesn’t mean much as it is mostly for quick warm up emission compliance) but if the heater isn’t up to the task & the sensor is in a cool air stream it can cool off enough at idle to drop the system out of closed loop..

I would think any of the universal Lambda sensors would work OK as long as they don’t stick into the exhaust much farther than stock.. Just make DARN sure you get the heater & heater ground wired correctly & separated from the sensor voltage wires.. Seeing as those are very low voltage & low current systems the wire splices MUST be very solid & resistance free..

Twisty

Thanks Twisty!

I'll be sure to compare the tip length with the OEM prior to installation to see how close they are. As to the wiring, I will make sure to integrate the sensor properly. (ie heater +/-, sensor signal, sensor ground). I have already isolated and labled each wire through testing.

There is no doubt I have a sluggish sensor...

I'll solder the connections and use shrink wrap to cover them. A final wrap with some high temp tape should do the trick...Any other suggestions appreciated.

Thanks Twisty!

I'll be sure to compare the tip length with the OEM prior to installation to see how close they are. As to the wiring, I will make sure to integrate the sensor properly. (ie heater +/-, sensor signal, sensor ground). I have already isolated and labled each wire through testing.

There is no doubt I have a sluggish sensor...

I'll solder the connections and use shrink wrap to cover them. A final wrap with some high temp tape should do the trick...Any other suggestions appreciated.

Adkbeemer, on those low current wire connections I always use splice clips then solder those (you can make your own splice clips from the crimping ends of standard wire terminals) .. That assures the best possible resistance free connection..

If possible use heat shrink tubing that has the oozing glue inside or use a little silicone then heat shrink over that (you don’t want resistance to show up later)..

As a side note: why do you say your 02 isn’t working correctly? Is it in fact bad or just responding to a poor exhaust gas content? Is the 02 wire plastic sheath tie strapped too tightly or doubled over & tie strapped?

If it is just unresponsive or lazy it is probably just partially plugged.. If you have a fuel controller installed or have been operating with the CCP removed just reinstall the CCP or turn the fuel controller off & give it (the bike) a good high speed long hard run (about 1 hour or more)… In most cases that will clean the 02 & restore it’s function..

Twisty

Bosch 13474 is the one, or so I have been told.

Flars, I know this one has been quoted, but from what I have found, that model is a 2 wire, non-heater type unit. Maybe I'm wrong... dopeslap.gif

Thanks again Twisty. I'm going to use the Bosch connectors that come with the universal unit and give them a try. There is a nice look at their connector technology on the Bosch site. I just picked up the Bosch unit I mentioned in my first post and the set up looks good.

Tip length seems ok so far. I will report back as to how things work on the install.

As to the O2 sensor, I have a Tech 259 installed and noticed a creeping problem with a rough running at neutral throttle (a pulsing if you will). It has gotten worse over the past month. Turning off the unit did not resolve the problem, only made it somewhat worse. So I then moved to test its connectors and the O2 sensor through the unit with a good DVM I have strapped to the tank bag. (I have also tested the AT and OT sensors as well...)

Found very sluggish volt fipping on the meter at all throttle settings, not the usual to fast to read..."pulsing" coresponded very nicely to the lower leaner voltage indications. I'm sure the Mo was enjoying the data... grin.gif

Taking out the Pink CCP and reseting the Mo completely eliminated the pulsing problem, but as noted, I find that map very ragged. Somewhat the two things together confirmed to me the O2 is suspect.

I also had given it a good Italian tune up and that did not resolve the problem...so for me the easiest route is just to replace the unit. Bike has 56K on it, so it can't hurt, even though I know they will go much longer.

Thanks again Twisty. I'm going to use the Bosch connectors that come with the universal unit and give them a try. There is a nice look at their connector technology on the Bosch site. I just picked up the Bosch unit I mentioned in my first post and the set up looks good.

Tip length seems ok so far. I will report back as to how things work on the install.

As to the O2 sensor, I have a Tech 259 installed and noticed a creeping problem with a rough running at neutral throttle (a pulsing if you will). It has gotten worse over the past month. Turning off the unit did not resolve the problem, only made it somewhat worse. So I then moved to test its connectors and the O2 sensor through the unit with a good DVM I have strapped to the tank bag. (I have also tested the AT and OT sensors as well...)

Found very sluggish volt fipping on the meter at all throttle settings, not the usual to fast to read..."pulsing" coresponded very nicely to the lower leaner voltage indications. I'm sure the Mo was enjoying the data... grin.gif

Taking out the Pink CCP and reseting the Mo completely eliminated the pulsing problem, but as noted, I find that map very ragged. Somewhat the two things together confirmed to me the O2 is suspect.

I also had given it a good Italian tune up and that did not resolve the problem...so for me the easiest route is just to replace the unit. Bike has 56K on it, so it can't hurt, even though I know they will go much longer.

Adkbeemer, did you turn the Techlusion off while running it hard? If not it probably didn’t go lean enough to clean the 02 bead.. Was the CCP in while running it hard? They usually need to go lean/hot for quite a while to clean the 02..

You didn’t measure the 02 output while the Techlusion was in operation did you? If so that will give you some strange 02 readings as the Techlusion will modulate the fueling & the factory 02 will perceive that as what it is controlling to.. You also need a very high impedance digital meter or the meter could be skewing the 02 readings due to meter load..

Added__You might try turning the GREEN pot DOWN on the Techlusion.. Anything above .6v volts will delay or prevent the cruise pot from coming in early enough.. My 1150 gives me the best hot curb idle between .2v & .3v on the green.. The green adds fuel even at idle but the 02 just pulls the excess out (unless it’s so rich the 02 can’t get it all out)..

Twisty

You didn’t measure the 02 output while the Techlusion was in operation did you?

No, the techlusion was "off" during all testing as I know it mods the O2 sensor feedback..

If so that will give you some strange 02 readings as the Techlusion will modulate the fueling & the factory 02 will perceive that as what it is controlling to..

You also need a very high impedance digital meter or the meter could be skewing the 02 readings due to meter load..

I'm using a pretty good DVM. Osciliscope would be better... tongue.gif

Added__You might try turning the GREEN pot DOWN on the Techlusion.. Anything above .6v volts will delay or prevent the cruise pot from coming in early enough.. My 1150 gives me the best hot curb idle between .2v & .3v on the green.. The green adds fuel even at idle but the 02 just pulls the excess out (unless it’s so rich the 02 can’t get it all out)..

Twisty

I'll try that Twisty and thanks as always for your feedback. Love your comments here...always learn something. What are your current settings across the board on your Techlusion?

For the record, Bosch 15729 O2 sensor was pretty much plug and play to the R1150 set up....except for the usual fun with the exhaust bolts and getting out the old sensor. dopeslap.gif

Tip and body length seemed exactly the same to me as the OEM and the wire colors are also the same. I used the posi-lock connector sealed set up with the unit. Seemed pretty robust...I'll keep an eye on them.

Testing on the way into work (measuring O2 sensor "in" wire on my Tech 259 with a DVM) showed a much more stable (and once I turned on the Techlusion, richer) O2 sensor signal, compared to the sluggish swings noted previously, even at cruise. Performance is back to where it should be. Old O2 sensor had some crud and carbon on it.

Thanks again for everyone's input!

Archived