IGNORED

Tire wear

Babby

It did not take long to wear out the center of my rear Metzler on my 1100RT. Is their a way to tell how far you can ride until it gets unsafe. Any sugestions appreaciated.

They have a wear bar on them. Where, depends on the tire model. Usually there's "WB" mark on the sidewall somewhere near it. Or a raised bump recessed into a tread groove. Once you reach that, time to replace!

It did not take long to wear out the center of my rear Metzler on my 1100RT. Is their a way to tell how far you can ride until it gets unsafe. Any sugestions appreaciated.

Babby, dry high traction roads you can ride it till the cords start to show.. Water on the roads or slick roads-- NO center tread no STICKEY.. So if you want decent wet weather performance you need some tread & sipes to channel the water out..

Also remember once the center has excessive wear showing it will wear out real fast from then on so if planning a trip you might want to re-tire first..

Twisty

They have a wear bar on them. Where, depends on the tire model. Usually there's "WB" mark on the sidewall somewhere near it. Or a raised bump recessed into a tread groove. Once you reach that, time to replace!

Not sure about WB. I've seen "TWI" (tread wear indicator) on the sidewall. Check the tread next to this marking and you'll find the raised bumps in the tread Ken described.

Some tires have a small triangle at the wear bar location. I don't think you want to run a tire down to the tread for safety reasons. The suggestion that you change before travel is a good one, even if you have a bit if rubber before the wear bar. Buying tires on the road is iffy at best, and brand selection is usually not optimal.

Good luck!

Archived