IGNORED

Any resources for R1200ST's ?

jaytee

Howdy!

I am in the market for an R1200ST and have been trying to read all I can about them. Unfortunately there seem to be no internet resources for the bike. Id love to hear what other owners like, dislike, have mechanical problems with, parts and accessory experience, etc.

Am I stuck combing through the meager R1200ST crumbs on BMWMOA, here and Pelicanparts?

Please tell me it isnt so!

JT

jaytee there is a pretty good sized contingent of ST riders on this board. I think it's probably the best place I know of for information on the R12ST on the Internet.

I love the way my ST fits me first and foremost. I think it's a very comfortable bike that handles most riding scenarios very well, which is what a sport touring bike should do (although not so hot off road). It's a blast to ride two-up. I don't have any strong dislikes. The stock seat could be a little more comfy, but that can be said of just about any bike. I've had one mechanical issue with mine. The rear engine seals leaked, which is fairly common on the R1200 engine. It was fixed under warranty, so no big deal. My bike is basically stock with Motolights upfront and P3 lights in the rear. I'm contemplating upgrading the suspension, but otherwise I'm very happy with it. I specifically sought an ST and most people seemed surprised by that given its relative unpoplarity among BMW enthusiasts. The headlight design has been the subject of much debate. I don't really care what it looks like, but it does a tremendous job illuminating the roadway (nearly as good, perhaps better, than my car). I've never been behind a better bike light. There has also been some love-hate discussion over the stock windscreen. I put a Cee Baileys on mine and it gives me the right amount of protection with little to no buffeting. But that's a highly individualized situation. Everyone has a little different posture and tolerance for wind.

I just wish I could find more time to ride mine. Welcome to the site. I'm certain the rest of the ST gang will be along to share their experience soon. wave.gif

STs are rara avis. You need to be prepared to travel to locate and buy one. I like to compare the ST to a Lotus Elise -- many people may not care for their appearance, they are not seen all that often, but you certainly can't argue with their sporting ability. The only way to know whether this is your bike, is to do a test ride and see if it speaks to you. I NEVER thought I would buy an RT until I found myself test riding it 3 times -- it sought me out. It's the right beemer for me, I suspect the ST is the one for you.

Jim VonBaden

There IS a maintenance DVD for it! grin.gif

My GF has an R1200ST! Awesome bike! It was on my short list before I got the R1200GS!

Jim cool.gif

You'll find that this is the best resource for r12st's out there. Just the way it is... I ended up here (much as I suspect you did) because I did a Google search for r1200st and found this site just prior to buying mine.

The typical complaints of the r12st have been mentioned: The seat and suspension. The seat was pretty bad for me, so I got a custom seat. I'm still on my stock suspension and haven't found it too bad (though I have ridden one with Wilburs and to my admittedly untrained butt, it didn't seem that different, but then again, the road was pretty smooth). All in all, I really like my bike.

And even though I do have motolights, the headlight really is that effective. It's got 2 h4 bulbs in there, which is exactly what I have in my car.

Remember, the engine and tranny stuff is exactly the same as it is for an r1200rt and an r1200gs. You learn that most of the maintenance stuff is identical regardless of which r1200 model you see mentioned.

I just bought an ST after being on a cruiser for the last 4 years. I was worried that i would miss the cruiser on the long rides, but so far i'm really enjoying the ST. I just got back from a 3 day trip through MA, NY, VT, and NH. I put 1200 miles on the bike and it was great. Hit all the nice twisty roads and it handled great. I added the Verhollen risers and had my seat redone by a local guy in town for $100. Id still like to get a day long or Rick Meyer seat but this $100 job turned my 100 mile a day bike into a 400 mile a day bike.

Thanks for the replies!

Honestly I didnt even find out about the ST until last week. I have been reading all about the BMW hexheads and the r12r in specific as that was the bike that caught my attention originally. As you can see from my join date I have been lurking a while!

But I never pulled the trigger on the r12r becasue it just doesnt seem overly trip/freeway friendly with the lack of a true fairing.

Right now I own two bikes, a 2005 Yamaha Roadstar Warrior for lunch cruises and occasional group rides, and a Suzuki SV1000S for canyon carving and 3-4 day trips in the Sierra Nevada a couple times a year.

But my main mileage is oging to and from my office which is 28 miles away splitting lanes in southern califonria traffic - something neither bike does very well.

So I have been looking for a bike to replace BOTH of my bikes: ie.e one that I can trip on, ride local mountain roads on the weekends, and is still comfortable for the freeway commute and lunch dates. While I mostly ride solo, I do take my wife to lunch every other month.

The R1200R just didnt seen sporty enough in its seating position, but hte R1200S seemed a little too impractical as a commuter/trip bike. So you can imagine my excitement when I stumbled across the ST on the internet and immediately said "that's my next bike!"

Unfortunately (as several of you have pointed out) they are not to be found. I do see several 2005 used ones floating about (mostly outside of CA) and I managed to find one new one in Chicago for nearly 19,000msrp (gulp) - but I dont even know if I could bring that one into California.

In any case, I guess if this is where I need to be, then this is where I shall live!

A couple of quesitons for you R1200ST owners out there:

1. Any appreciable difference in the 2005 as compared to the 2007 model worth probably a $9000 difference in price?

2. How bad is the servo-assisted power ABS brakes, really?

3. Have you had difficulty getting parts for this bike at all? (esp worried about fairing bits and such for say a garage tip-over)

4. What kind of mileage are you getting riding in street/freeway conditions?

5. How different is the seating posture from an R1200R?

6. Any reason to belive that a stock suspension is going to be significantly deficient for a 185lb rider for most (non-track)} duties?

7. Since I probably am going to have to buy used, any thing to watch out for? What would be good mileage to expect on a 2005 used model?

Thanks for hte welcome and hopefully I will be joiing you all on the road shortly!

JT

I test rode both the ST and the RR before purchasing my R. I find the wind protection adequate (and if I didn't then there are plenty of aftermarket screens available).

The ST seemed heavier and slower steering, plus I couldn't get a new one and would therefore not be able to get ESA and would be stuck with servo brakes. I had both ESA and servo brakes on my K12S and wanted the ESA but not the brakes.

I love the RR but would recommend you to test ride both bikes before making a decision. If you can't find a used ST to testride then you'll have to wait until 08 when the new ones come out.

I'll try - keeping in mind that I'm pretty sure about my facts, but the opinions might not always be 100% agreed with around here.

1. Any appreciable difference in the 2005 as compared to the 2007 model worth probably a $9000 difference in price?

The major difference between the 2005 and 2007 models are the brakes. The 2005's technically had ESA as an option, but not many actually made it into the country with ESA.

I like it. Once I got used to them (my guess is that it took less than a couple of hours of riding time), the only time I ever think about them being servo-assist is when I'm on this board.

3. Have you had difficulty getting parts for this bike at all? (esp worried about fairing bits and such for say a garage tip-over)

Most of the parts are the same as an RT or GS. However, yes, the tupperware is unique. I haven't had problems, but then again, I don't think I've ordered an ST specific part. BMW should be good about parts for years to come. (I think legally they have to be, but I could be wrong as that may just apply to cars/trucks.) Your local dealer won't stock parts like that, but BMWNA should.

4. What kind of mileage are you getting riding in street/freeway conditions?

The worst tank I've ever seen on mine (keep in mind, I'm on an older software/firmware rev that uses a slightly leaner fuel map and I live at 4500 ft above sea level) is 48mpg and the highest tank was just under 60mpg. I average in the low 50's though.

edit: I forgot, I had one tank of 42mpg from Vegas to Mesquite, NV or St. George, UT with HORRIBLE headwinds.

Never sat on one. However, I'm quite sure it's different. Some people try to change the bike to fit them, others change their riding technique to match the bike. I went with the latter. Search for "Master Yoda Riding Position" here in the last 2 years and try that. You've gotta use your legs more.

6. Any reason to belive that a stock suspension is going to be significantly deficient for a 185lb rider for most (non-track)} duties?

It works for me just fine. Is it perfect? No. Will I upgrade someday? Yes. I'd say it's closer to sufficient than "deficient".

7. Since I probably am going to have to buy used, any thing to watch out for? What would be good mileage to expect on a 2005 used model?

It's no different than any other bike purchase. Look for leaking fluids and signs of abuse. Mileage shouldn't be an issue. FWIW, shipping a bike isn't that big of a deal. I thought all BMW bike's are 50 state legal meaning that bringing it into California isn't a big deal, but I have no problem being wrong about that. Someone else can chime in about it I'm sure. If that's the case, there is one in the classifieds right now.

I thought 07 is the last year for the R12ST.
Yes and no. The R1200ST is no longer available new - period. There are no '07's out there because it was a special order bike only for 2007 (unless per chance a dealer ordered one and never sold it for whatever reason).

Yes, there are rumors that it will be back with a different look or whatever, but beyond rumor, the r1200st is no more.

jaytee-

1- $9000 is a load of cash, is it worth it for a new bike versus a used bike to you?

2- Haven't had the slightest problem with my servo brakes. It took a little while to get adjusted to them. The banjo bolt recall helped get rid of the abruptness that they had originally. But they are truly awe inspiring for sheer power.

3- The ST is still a pretty new model and with BMW's history of supporting their products, I don't anticipate any big problems for a while.

4- Fuel mileage is great. In a commuter mode, I would expect 50+. On the highway at speed it does upper 40's without trouble. The range on a tank is 250+- miles.

5- The biggest difference in seating position is in the bars. A moderate forward lean on the ST is comfortable for me at 6 ft. There are bar re-locaters available if you so desire.

6- Depending on your riding style, the stock suspension is adequate in most instances. I put Wilbers on mine at about 15,000 miles, I ride pretty aggressively at times and could feel the stock shocks giving up. The Wilbers actually give a better ride, not as harsh over bumps, but more controlled and compliant overall.

7- There aren't that many to choose from, but a low mileage example would be a good bet. Mine now has 24,000 miles on it and it is a better bike than ever. Keep in mind that a 10,000 mile break-in isn't unusual.

I had the seat redone by Sargent, put the Wilbers on, installed a Stebel dual air horn and radar detector with screamer speaker and I am about finished.

Frank

In addition to what has been previously mentioned I believe the '07 can be equipped with the newer display with these functions: miles to empty, average mpg, current or spontaneous mpg, average speed, stopwatch, ambient temperature, etc.

I like them. I also have an F800ST with non-servo ABS and I like the servo assist better (probably an unpopular opinion).

3. Have you had difficulty getting parts for this bike at all? (esp worried about fairing bits and such for say a garage tip-over) I haven't had the call for parts, but I don't anticipate it being a problem for some time.

4. What kind of mileage are you getting riding in street/freeway conditions? My riding is mostly freeway and I average about 46 mpg.

I haven't been on an R12R, but the ST is definitely is more sport oriented, but not extreme. I've yet to sit on a bike that feels as natural for me. Beyond riding posture, bear in mind the ST provides a reasonable amount of weather protection and conversely provides a reasonable amount of free flowing air versus the R12R and the R12RT. I think it strikes a perfect balance between an unfaired bike (R12R) and a fully faired bike (R12RT). This will take on increased significance in the summer and winter.

The stock suspension is not deficient and you probably fall smack dead in the middle of the bell shaped curve for the ST's riding dynamics. I'm quite a bit lighter and have some difficulty deciding on the sweet spot for suspension settings.

7. Since I probably am going to have to buy used, any thing to watch out for? What would be good mileage to expect on a 2005 used model? You'll find them with all types of mileage from a few thousand miles and up. There's nothing ST specific to be concerned with.

For what it's worth I noticed BMWNA just removed the ST from its web site this week. Nothing noteworthy here other than confirmation the marketing people have realized it is no longer part of the current line up.

Some very good info about the ST up to this point, so I won't take the time to go through a point by point rehash. However, I do have a few thoughts to share:

-Assuming you can still find a new 2007, I don't think it's worth a $9,000 price difference. I got my ST last year as a new "demo" unit and saved a ton of money. The big difference is in the braking system and I've adapted to the servo-assisted brakes with no problem.

-On the subject of brakes, the servo-assist is not a big negative, but it takes a little getting used to. Until you do, you'll find yourself grabbing more brake than necessary. It sort of reminds me of the first time I drove a car with power-assisted brakes, after having owned a couple that didn't have them (yes, I'm that old).

-I find the stock suspension to be good, but I'm not a particularly fast rider. When the day comes that the shocks wear out, I'll look into the aftermarket stuff. I hear good things about Wilbers and Ohlins.

-I haven't done much, in terms of modifications, except to add Motolights and an Autocom/Valentine One/Garmin 2610 setup. Those, plus a Rick Mayer seat. The seat was so much better than my only prior experience with BMW, an R1100RT, but there was still room for improvement.

We all have different tastes and priorities, but the ST struck me as having the perfect blend of sporting and touring capabilities. It's reasonably light, but offers equivalent storage capacity as the RT (same sidecases). The fairing offers a lot of protection and manages windflow well, but still allows you to feel like you're on a motorcycle. It's not as comfy as an RT, but I've still done 700 to 1,000-plus mile days without a problem. Yet, despite that, it's a blast to ride on twisty roads.

I'm not worried about parts availability since it's more or less mechanically identical to the RT and since BMW has a reputation of supporting their bikes with parts for decades. But, it's a little sad that BMW is dropping the ST. In my mind, it's the one model that absolutely nailed the traditional BMW virtues of blending sporting and touring capabilities in a single bike.

I love my ST!!!! I have had it a little over 14 months and I have put on 22K miles! I ride it everywhere!!! I love how it handles through the twisties, the brakes are great for this STUPID DC traffic!!! The maintenance is pretty straight forward – Especially if you buy Jim VB’s R1200 Maintenance video – that’s a very valuable Resource!! thumbsup.gif

I have added Motolights, P3 lights, Garmins 2610, Throttle lock, and sooon – a Rick Mayer seat. The seat is the only thing that really bugged me – I had a guy in MD alter it a bit butt I just wanted more. blush.gif

I’ve only been riding for about 2 ½ years but I’ve learned the most with this bike!! I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!! clap.gif

Good Luck!

Tina

Jim VonBaden
I love my ST!!!! I have had it a little over 14 months and I have put on 22K miles! I ride it everywhere!!! I love how it handles through the twisties, the brakes are great for this STUPID DC traffic!!! The maintenance is pretty straight forward – Especially if you buy Jim VB’s R1200 Maintenance video – that’s a very valuable Resource!! thumbsup.gif

I have added Motolights, P3 lights, Garmins 2610, Throttle lock, and sooon – a Rick Mayer seat. The seat is the only thing that really bugged me – I had a guy in MD alter it a bit butt I just wanted more. blush.gif

I’ve only been riding for about 2 ½ years but I’ve learned the most with this bike!! I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!! clap.gif

Good Luck!

Tina

Don't let her fool you, she rides a LOT, more than me lately, and is an excellent rider!

Tina-riding.jpg

GS-and-ST.jpg

Jim cool.gif

Ah the "famous" Tina (made famous by Jim of course) pops in talking about her ST.

Welcome Tina.

(I was wondering who the "new" ST owner was for a minute there. And yes, Jim only speaks of you in hushed and revered tones. tongue.gif )

Wow! Well, I really appreciate the warm feedback. I am pretty convinced that this is the right bike for me... Certainly on paper, in any case. I learned on an R90/6 so I'll finally be coming back to the fold ;)

Now the trick is finding the fastest color - which Im pretty certain is silver!

Does anyone know if these are 50 state bikes or not? Do they have a CA certification on them? If so it would greatly aid my search as I could go out of state for one.

Thanks again, and Im sure I'll have lots more Q's as I go along.

JT

PS: anyone know someone in SoCal who needs a gerat deal on a SV1000S and a Warrior? ;)

Ah the "famous" Tina (made famous by Jim of course) pops in talking about her ST.

Welcome Tina.

(I was wondering who the "new" ST owner was for a minute there. And yes, Jim only speaks of you in hushed and revered tones. tongue.gif )

Thanks - he's a great friend!! Afterall - look at what he did for me on my Cage!!

Don't let her fool you, she rides a LOT, more than me lately, and is an excellent rider!

Tina-riding.jpg

Jim cool.gif

Tina rides like a rider (none of this rides well for a girl stuff mentioned in other threads grin.gif). wave.gif

Wow! Well, I really appreciate the warm feedback. I am pretty convinced that this is the right bike for me... Certainly on paper, in any case. I learned on an R90/6 so I'll finally be coming back to the fold ;)

Now the trick is finding the fastest color - which Im pretty certain is silver!

Does anyone know if these are 50 state bikes or not? Do they have a CA certification on them? If so it would greatly aid my search as I could go out of state for one.

Thanks again, and Im sure I'll have lots more Q's as I go along.

JT

PS: anyone know someone in SoCal who needs a gerat deal on a SV1000S and a Warrior? ;)

All the BMW are 50 state bikes

Last year I bought a gently used R1200RT, my first BMW and have been so pleased with it that when I went looking for something a little more sporty, I bought a gently used R1200ST.

I have ridden 370,000 lifetime miles on several different brands of motorcycles and find these bikes to my liking at this time. I just got my RT back from having the oil leak repaired, not a good dealer experience, but am happy to be done with them, at least for now.

I know of a R1200ST for sale that appears to be a good deal.(not mine) You can contact me for more info if interested. BM1327@aol.com

Bob's BMW has a demo for sale but a bit pricey. BMW of Atlanta also has a demo at a better price. Good excuse for a long "get to know you" ride.

I contemplated getting the ST but went with a Triumph Sprint ST. You might want to look at it since it's the same type of bike.

I love my ST. Bought it last November with 2K and have 7K now- weekend riding in NJ. I want only one bike in the garage. It is light, fast, handles really well (with new front shock and rear adusted). Spent last Sunday morning riding through back roads of Bucks County PA following a R1 and Duc 1098. Did I have trouble keeping up? Would have on the track, but not in real world riding. They kept looking in their mirrors wundering why that bike with the rail road engine front light was still right there. This weekend is a 5 hour ride to State College PA. Wouldn't be doing that on a Duc or R1, and they will soon be stored for winter, when my parabellum goes on and Gerbing plugs in. Is there a better sub 500 lb sport tourer. Maybe, but fulfills my needs and the bike far exceeds my riding ability--- those peg feelers haven't come near scraping yet.

BTW

DeSimone Motorcycles, Cherry Hill NJ has a silver ST used on floor with 2K. Not as fast as the red/graphite model, but still a nice bike. Owner was not comfortable with riding position and traded for 800S.

Steve

I bought my 05 1200ST about 3 weeks ago at Razee in RI. It had 1300 miles on it and i paid $11,000. At that time there was also one for sale at Max BMW in NH and one at AJ cycles which is in MA.

Well, I am looking all over for one of these gems. There are a few, but seem to all be either in a crummy color (sorry red fans) or lack ABS (I think I want on this type of bike) or are geographically undesireable (over 2000 miles away).

So if anyone has a line on a low mileage (under 10k), blue or silver r12st with ABS and preferably as manay bags as possible, let me know!

JT

Well, I am looking all over for one of these gems. There are a few, but seem to all be either in a crummy color (sorry red fans) or lack ABS (I think I want on this type of bike) or are geographically undesireable (over 2000 miles away).

So if anyone has a line on a low mileage (under 10k), blue or silver r12st with ABS and preferably as manay bags as possible, let me know!

JT

Hey JT - here's a link for you - there's one in WV and one in So. Cal - just on the first page. If you are interested int he WV one - I could try to take a weekend trip over there and check it out for you?? IBMWR

Here's some reading material @ http://mysite.mweb.co.za/residents/clasqm/bmw-archive5.html

Just take with a grain of salt as the R1200ST is a terrific bike. As for milage on a used bike, mine has been still getting stronger up to the present 11,000 mile mark. So barring any abuse, 10,000 miles most probably won't be fully broken in motor wise. Also want to report, with a slight modification to my riding style(hand brake only until almost stopped, as foot brake sends 2nd rear input to the linked system) I have no significant issues with the 05-06' servo-linked ABS brakes except for recommended fluid changes and difficulty of same.

The headlight, the best I have experienced in 39 yrs. of riding.

The stock seat is a weak point for rides longer than 2-3 hours.

Riding position with stock bar position for me was a bit more reach than I desired so I fixed that. I'm 5'10". My son that is 6'3" sits much more upright on the stock setup.

I have ESA on my 06' ST so can't really comment on the stock shocks. I did find my bike still handled well with my shocks on comfort (soft) due to rough roads on a recent visit to Canada.

I could have easily bought a Triumph ST as I have a friend that sells them and my last bike before my ST was a Speed Triple. The Triumph ST will feel heavier than the BMW because it is.

In conclusion the R1200St does everything well and I'd replace mine in a heartbeat with another if I had it to do over again. thumbsup.gif

Hey JT - here's a link for you - there's one in WV and one in So. Cal - just on the first page. If you are interested int he WV one - I could try to take a weekend trip over there and check it out for you?? IBMWR

There are two more on that list, but both east coast. A dark graphite and silver bike in SC; and a dark graphite and red bike in PA. Both the wrong color and wrong coast, but surprisingly the PA bike is only about 10 miles from me. Never saw him around. grin.gif

stubblejumper

I finally decided to purchase a BMW and my dealer was able to find a new 2007 r1200st for me here in Canada.It has all of the available options and is silver in color.It will arrive next week,so I will be able to pick it up before our riding season ends here.My next job will be to obtain a good quality seat before spring.Any recommendations on a seat?

My next job will be to obtain a good quality seat before spring.Any recommendations on a seat?

Congrats on finding an ST. I believe quite a couple ST riders here have Rick Mayer seats.

stubblejumper

Thanks,I took a look at the Mayer site,and I will be contacting him.There were actually four new 2007 R1200STs available in Canada,two black and two silver.All four had nearly all the options including ABS.

I have about 27K on my ST, and love this bike. No problems with any part of the bike, and the ABS brakes are awesome. The semi linked brakes allow for great panic stops using only the front (it engages the rear) but using only the rear brake only the rear is engaged. Very useful in slow parking lots, or downhill gravel driveways like my 250 foot long 16% slope driveway.

The headlight is the best of any of my vehicles. It's not ugly, just different.

I took a 850 mile one day trip 3 days after buying the bike, and the stock seat turned out to be just fine. Like any new seat, it just took some getting used to.

Tires make a huge difference in how the bike likes the twisties. I found the Pirelli Diablo planted the bike best for my riding style. These roads in Mendocino are twisty, and not in the best shape, but the tires stick, and are very predictable.

You will never regret buying the ST.

Just my .02 worth.

Wow, 4 '07's in Canada??? I wish I could get one of those bikes but I suspect that California Dept of Motor Vehicles would have a hissy-fit about it. frown.gif

Anyone have experience bringing Canadian bikes into the US? Probably not worth the hassle and expense.

I have found about 6 used bikes so far, but they are all undesiraeable for one reason or another. Some are high mileage, some are red, some have no ABS, some are over 3000 miles away frown.gif

Hopefully my buddy at a BMW dealer local here will be able to source something. If not, then I guess I'll just keep looking.

BTW, I found an absolutely perfect one but it has no ABS. Is ABS retrofittable???

JT

stubblejumper

Wow, 4 '07's in Canada???

There were 4,but since I bought mine there are only three.:thunbsup:

BTW, I found an absolutely perfect one but it has no ABS. Is ABS retrofittable???

And I really preferred not to have ABS. grin.gif

Darn - right color, but Id really like to find a bike thats not 2500 miles away -- I know, Im being picky! Mileage is 'ok', not great (I'm seeing some with less than 4000 miles in the wrong color or no abs) -- keep the ideas coming! especially if they are on consignment from a local dealer.

JT

Jaytee, I'm guessing you know about the one at Ventura BMW, in Newbury Park.

Yes, I saw taht one on cycle trader but I hate red frown.gif

Really, anything but red would be great!

Archived