IGNORED

Fog light dash indicator

DavidAnthony

DavidAnthony

I started up my bike today and a light came on the dash that i had never seen before. So out comes the manual and it says its the foglight indicator. I was bringing the bike in for service and mentioned to the guy on the desk, but he didn't know either.

Any idea what this light is for?

There are two dashboard lights related to the fog lights. One is behind the switch. The other is a rectangular indicator light (idiot light) to indicate that the fog lights are on.

Looking at the wiring diagram in haynes (page 8-35 if you've got a copy) it appears that the idiot light is wired so that it can come on only if the fog lights are receiving power.

Are the foglights something you don't turn on often?

The fog-light switch is supposed to illuminate whenever you've got the ignition key turned on, regardless of the position of the fog-light switch.

I don't know about changing its bulb -- the service manual has a list of bulbs but it neglects the bulbs behind the dash. I do know that accessing the back of the foglight switch is no problem once you've removed the dash, which isn't that hard to do.

Any idea what this light is for?

The switch remains illuminated all the time. The lamp on the dash comes on when the fog lights are actually turned on. I guess from your post that you don't use these lights very often, 'cos if you did you would be wondering why BMW put such a high wattage bulb in an idiot light, such that it is distracting the rider from looking at the road.

Andy

Didn't know I had fog lights on my bike.

Where is this switch for the fog lights located?

Uh, you're serious?

The owners manual probably tells you that, but to help you out here are a couple of photos. The foglights are below my yellow marks. The switch that powers them is below my pink mark.

912250-foglights2.JPG

912250-foglights2.JPG.0d534072e2ff998942688a62ddfc82b0.JPG

They are called fog lights but they are almost as good as the low beam. I was initally looking at 1100RTPs but I am sooooo glad I bought an 1150. Primarly because of the "fog lights".

Where is this switch for the fog lights located?

You may see them referred to as auxilliary riding lights too.

Andy

Archived