IGNORED

Parts sourcing

PapaJ

Hi all, I am slowly working my way through the R1150RT that I bought (with no service records)and performing the required service and doing a few upgrades while I'm at it. Yesterday I replaced the alternator belt with a Goodyear Gatorback Poly V belt ($10 incl. Tax) Right now I'm working on the throttle and brakes, so I'm looking for a good source for aftermarket braided brake lines, I want to replace them before I do the brake fluid flush. I am also looking for throttle cables-does anyone but BMW make throttle cables for this bike? If not what is my best source for reasonable priced cables from BMW? I am probably a masochist, because I am actually enjoying myself. dopeslap.gif

Both Spiegler and Galfer have SS braided brake line kits for the oilheads.

You can get discount OEM parts from Chicago BMW or Hammersley BMW. Chicago is cheapest but Hammersley (usually) delivers faster.

Hammersley? really? I live in Lynchburg where they are located. Having had really, really bad expereince with my Mercedes wagon prior to its assination, I would never take a car to them again. But would buy car parts, their car parts guys rule thumbsup.gif. I hear their bike side is actually quite competent. I'll see soon enough.

I am slowly working my way through the R1150RT and performing ..a few upgrades while I'm at it... I'm looking for a good source for aftermarket braided brake lines, I want to replace them before I do the brake fluid flush...

Why? What is wrong with the stock hoses? Stock hoses don’t swell when brakes are applied, they allow monstrous stopping ability, and look integrated. They don't particularly deteriorate, fair enough if they do, but if all is good, then you are doing work for nothing. A bit like whipping off the barrels and changing the piston rings with no reason (if you get my drift)?

Andy eek.gif

Hi all, I am slowly working my way through the R1150RT that I bought (with no service records)and performing the required service and doing a few upgrades while I'm at it. Yesterday I replaced the alternator belt with a Goodyear Gatorback Poly V belt ($10 incl. Tax) Right now I'm working on the throttle and brakes, so I'm looking for a good source for aftermarket braided brake lines, I want to replace them before I do the brake fluid flush. I am also looking for throttle cables-does anyone but BMW make throttle cables for this bike? If not what is my best source for reasonable priced cables from BMW? I am probably a masochist, because I am actually enjoying myself. dopeslap.gif

Greg, that 1150 RT uses the EVO adaptive ABS braking system.. That system not only monitors your brake apply pressure but also bases some of it’s braking algorithms on brake pressure build rates vs control pressure build rates .. I don’t know enough about the BMW system to say for sure that less compliant brake hoses will alter the ABS function but know enough about adaptive ABS braking systems in general to say it could be a slight issue.. Don’t read this wrong, as the brakes will still work with less compliant brake lines & the ABS will still function but possibly not as originally calibrated & certified..

Twisty

Stock hoses don’t swell when brakes are applied, they allow monstrous stopping ability, and look integrated. They don't particularly deteriorate
Oh I can't agree with that. Certainly the stock rubber hoses candeteriorate and cause spongy brakes from swelling.

But I have tendency to agree with Twisty, putting non-OEM lines on the servo assisted brakes could potentially cause some unexpected consequences.

Hammersley? really? I live in Lynchburg where they are located. Having had really, really bad expereince with my Mercedes wagon prior to its assination, I would never take a car to them again. But would buy car parts, their car parts guys rule thumbsup.gif. I hear their bike side is actually quite competent. I'll see soon enough.
Hammersley have the entire BMW parts fiche on their website with pricing and OEM part numbers -- and pictures! This alone is a valuable tool, even if you end up buying elsewhere.

Thank you for all the replies, I certainly don't want to cause problems by "upgrading" the brake lines blush.gif and as the ones that are one the bike at the moment are fine, I'll just flush the brakes. I still intend to replace the throttle cables however as that is a service item. crazy.gif

putting non-OEM lines on the servo assisted brakes could potentially cause some unexpected consequences.
I suppose a 'potential' might exist for some kind of undesirable interaction, but would also have to consider it more theoretical than real. I see similar warnings appear about using other than BMW OEM brake pads (which one would expect to have a much greater effect on ABS calibration, if such an effect exists) but I believe that aftermarket pads are commonly used on the later ABS bikes. Anyway, not something I would be inclined to worry about.

Archived