IGNORED

Autocom PTT?

FlyingFinn

Like you can tell from some of my recent posts, I've been setting up Autocom w/ B2B radio for myself.

All works fine but there is one thing that's not clear to me so far.

How does an external PTT switch (momentary close) key the AUTOCOM?

If I simply ground the PTT signal that comes out of Autocom, that keys the radio to TX and my voice goes to the ether. Fine.

But doing that does not key Autocom... I do not get sidetone from the speakers (and music doesn't mute).

Only when I let the VOX circuit do the PTT do I get the sidetone.

Who's the real Autocom guru here?

Oh, the unit I have is Pro-M1.

Thanks!

--

Mikko

C'mon guys (and gals) throw me friggin bone here!

Someone must know how you make the Autocom to switch over to TX with an external PTT button...

Let's make this easier. All you with "genuine Autocom PTT part" when you press the PTT to transmit does the sound in your own speakers switch to sidetone and music is muted?

(like it does when VOX activates)

--

Mikko

C'mon guys (and gals) throw me friggin bone here!

Someone must know how you make the Autocom to switch over to TX with an external PTT button...

Let's make this easier. All you with "genuine Autocom PTT part" when you press the PTT to transmit does the sound in your own speakers switch to sidetone and music is muted?

Music volume drops by about 50%.

Ian

--

Mikko

thumbsup.gif
All you with "genuine Autocom PTT part" when you press the PTT to transmit does the sound in your own speakers switch to side tone and music is muted?

Yes. The Autocomm PTT has three positions - never transmit, transmit when the PTT button is pushed (goes to side tone and other active inputs are muted), and transmit on VOX open (also goes to side tone and mutes the other inputs). If you are connected two up, and are using the transmit on VOX open, if the passenger connection breaks the VOX it will not transmit, only if the rider's mic does. But if the rider's mic does break the VOX, and the passenger then also speaks, both conversations are transmitted.

At least that's the way my particular model of Autocom works. Other models may be different?

I believe the first position (left) is "always transmit", not "never transmit". It is seldom if every used but can be used for "long conversations so you don't have to hold the button down.

Thanks all.

So now I know the PTT button at least should give the side tone (and drop the music). I just can figure out why mine doesn't do that...

--

Mikko

Thanks all.

So now I know the PTT button at least should give the side tone (and drop the music). I just can figure out why mine doesn't do that...

--

Mikko

My PTT doesn't give sidetone either. Only VOX does that. Since I use the PTT, and ride solo, I leave my VOX set to never trigger.

My PTT doesn't give sidetone either. Only VOX does that.

Really?!! Do you have real autocom PTT switch or home-made?

What autocom model you have?

Mine is Pro-M1 and what ever I have tried, no sidetone with the manual PTT. I though my circuit is simply wrong...

--

Mikko

Mine is Pro-M1 and what ever I have tried, no sidetone with the manual PTT. I though my circuit is simply wrong...

I'm defining sidetone as, when I press the PTT and I'm transmitting my voice over the FRS B-to-B I can also hear my own voice in my ear buds. Mine definitely does that. The act of speaking also opens the VOX.
I'm defining sidetone as, when I ... I'm transmitting my voice over the FRS B-to-B I can also hear my own voice in my ear buds.

So am I, and that's what I want to happen.

The act of speaking also opens the VOX.

That might be the key here. Is it the PTT switch that activates the side tone for you or is it the VOX?

If you press the PTT and speak at a such a low volume that VOX does not active, do you still get sidetone?

Or better yet, if you don't speak at all and just press the PTT, is the music "muted" in you headphones?

--

Mikko

--

Mikko

Mine's a Pro-7-Sport, with a genuine Autocom PTT switch, and Kenwood Freetalk XLS (TK-3131). No sidetone (i.e., my voice does not come through the speakers when I'm transmitting). If I adjust the VOX level to what Autocom considers "normal", then when my voice (or the wind) triggers the VOX, I hear myself (or the wind).

I'm not sure if this is going to help but....I have the Easi-Plus; the sidetone switch is in the AutoCom unit itself (dip switch, I believe).

Oh, I also have the AutoCom PTT, which does not have any selectable modes (i.e., there's just a rubber thingy where the selector would reside.).

Tony

So am I, and that's what I want to happen.

The act of speaking also opens the VOX.

That might be the key here. Is it the PTT switch that activates the side tone for you or is it the VOX?

If you press the PTT and speak at a such a low volume that VOX does not active, do you still get sidetone?

Or better yet, if you don't speak at all and just press the PTT, is the music "muted" in you headphones?

Hummm, could be. I just always though I had to talk loud enough to open the VOX to actually be transmitting my voice. Maybe not. I do know that just pushing the PTT does not in itself mute the music. I was guessing at that point I am transmitting music. I'll have to experiment some more on the next trip.

Which will be one week from right now as we set out for the UNRally! clap.gif

skinny_tom (aka boney)

When I push the PTT button on my unit (Autocom Pro M7) it tranmists my voice whether or not I've spoken loud enough to overcome the VOX setting for the autocom unit itself. Benicia_RT_GT can vouch for that. dopeslap.gif

Have the Active-plus w/Autocom PTT...

With music playing, when I press the PTT only (without tripping the VOX by speaking) the music does not mute. Only when I speak and activate the VOX does the music mute.

That's what my wiring does too.

For a while I thought I'm missing something but it's now clear that the original PTT doesn't work any different.

Thanks for everyone who replied.

--

Mikko

Archived