IGNORED

Riding clothes for a beer barrel.

jstraw

Ok, experts...I'm 5'9" with a 30" inseam and a 35" sleeve. I also have a 42" waist and a 50" chest.

What are the best brands to look to for a fit, friendly to my "physique?"

What vendors are recommended?

MrHondamatic

Do like I do, and go to the tent and awning shop. I bought a new rain suit and the legs are only slightly too long, while I can't fit the jacket over my Joe Rocket, but the waist is about right.

I'd be glad to hear of some options, other than custom tailored gear.

I've found that Vanson's jackets are often cut for a stockier build. Try your local dealers.

I've been happy with my local Cycle Gear.

As for online vendors, try newnenough.com. They generally describe the sizing and fit of clothes pretty well, and you can buy a couple of the same item to try them on.

Vanson can make custom size leathers and Aerostitch can make their apparel any size you want.

Aerostich absolutely will not. They will tailor, but they won't customize. For instance, even if you could zip up everywhere but over your thighs, they have no fix whatsoever.

Joe Rocket and First Gear both have pretty broad ranges of sizes.

Vanson can make custom size leathers and Aerostitch can make their apparel any size you want.

Aerostich absolutely will not. They will tailor, but they won't customize. For instance, even if you could zip up everywhere but over your thighs, they have no fix whatsoever.

Not really true. While you can't just send them measurements and have them custom build a suit for you, they have a wide range of alterations that cover most contingencies. For the example you gave, they have an extended 2" mid-gusset addition that runs from half way down the upper arm down to almost the top of the knee pad, so you would have extra room in the thigh. Aerostich is the gold standard in customer service when it comes to riding gear.

As a stocky man, I share your challenge. I ordered Aerostitch gear, but sent it back immediately. It is so stiff and constricting, that I think you would need to be pretty lanky to be comfortable in it. After casting about for several months, I tried on a Bellstaff - I forget the model, but it is the most expensive one - and it hung quite nicely on me. Now I worry about the day I will have to replace it.

Not really true. While you can't just send them measurements and have them custom build a suit for you, they have a wide range of alterations that cover most contingencies. For the example you gave, they have an extended 2" mid-gusset addition that runs from half way down the upper arm down to almost the top of the knee pad, so you would have extra room in the thigh. Aerostich is the gold standard in customer service when it comes to riding gear.

Actually, it's very true. If the adjustment you need is not one of their prescribed adjustments, they won't make it. Whether they're the gold standard in customer service has nothing to do with the services they won't perform. They alter. Period.

I had Motoport make a custom jacket and pants for me. They charge extra for that service. I called them several times to make sure I was taking the measurements properly. They were very curteous and friendly. It took about 6 weeks (in the winter) to get the clothing. The quality of pants and jacket are excellent. I would definitely recommend them.

This year Tour Master has several styles available in both "short" and "long" cuts. Ask your dealer to look through their catalog with you.

Actually, it's very true. If the adjustment you need is not one of their prescribed adjustments, they won't make it. Whether they're the gold standard in customer service has nothing to do with the services they won't perform. They alter. Period.

And yet it's still 100% more than Olympia will do for you. dopeslap.gifgrin.gif

I'm stocky (read short and fat) with a 29" inseam and a 38" waist and am also 'blessed' with large calves and thighs. I have an Aerostich Roadcrafter one-piece that fits well. The solution was to go up to Duluth and get custom fitted. I ended up with a 46 Short with two inches taken off the bottom of the legs, and the fit works fine even with a heated jacket liner underneath.

Truthfully the 'stich doesn't get much saddle time any more because I boil behind my RT's fairing on any day when the temps get above 75 F. Even with the collar rolled down and all the vents open I'm still coated with sweat by the time I get home. Right now, I have a set of First Gear mesh clothing that I wear when riding, although in my waist and shoulder size the pants are about three inches too long.

I also ordered a Motoport Canyon II jacket a few years ago and loved it. It has since become my wife's jacket. I had a great customer service experience when I purchased the jacket, but that was several years ago.

And yet it's still 100% more than Olympia will do for you.

Which has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with my statement that Aerostich will not "make their apparel any size you want" that you claimed was "not really true."

It is "really true" that Aerostich will not "make their apparel any size you want." That has nothing to do with what Olympia will do.

The solution was to go up to Duluth and get custom fitted.

Whereas I went to Duluth, and I was told that "Andy designs his suits the way he designs them" and that if I didn't fit the thighs, then I wasn't cut out for a Roadcrafter.

I don't have any problem with that fact; I have more problems with my shape than others not accommodating it. But again, they don't custom fit. They fit and alter.

What about full face helmets for fatheads? Is the Arai RX-7 a good choice?

I'd like something light, cool, comfortable and a breeze to install audio into... no problem, right?

What about full face helmets for fatheads?
Some people can fit into anything and feel fine. Others are very particular about their helmet's fit. I'm probably in the first category as I bought my rx-7 without ever really trying one on, and 18k miles later I have no regrets about it. However, my wife had to try on literally 20 different helmets before finding that a Quantum-2 with different cheekpads was the only one we could find that she wasn't miserable in after 5 minutes.

If you're feeling lucky, order one off the internet and take your chances (I did and I honestly got lucky). However, my recommendation would be to go to a Scorpion dealer near you and try on an exo-700 (since the 1000's aren't out yet) and see how you like it. Try on an rx-7 too if you like as it's not a bad helmet at all. However, it is a noisy helmet. Helmet's are very personal things. What works for one won't work for another.

...my recommendation would be to go to a Scorpion dealer near you and try on an exo-700 (since the 1000's aren't out yet) and see how you like it. Try on an rx-7 too if you like as it's not a bad helmet at all...

At three times the price of the Scorpion, I'd be pretty surprised if it were a bad helmet. Can the Scorpion at $190 really satisfy? That would be great.

...my recommendation would be to go to a Scorpion dealer near you and try on an exo-700 (since the 1000's aren't out yet) and see how you like it. Try on an rx-7 too if you like as it's not a bad helmet at all...

At three times the price of the Scorpion, I'd be pretty surprised if it were a bad helmet. Can the Scorpion at $190 really satisfy? That would be great.

I don't have one nor have I ever tried one on. However, do a search for Scorpion (remember to change the date to a year or two). Every time it's mentioned, Russell always drops a positive comment about his. There are others that love theirs as well. Because of that, I'll look at one when it's time for another helmet.
Ok, experts...I'm 5'9" with a 30" inseam and a 35" sleeve. I also have a 42" waist and a 50" chest.

Midget..... wave.gif

Oh yeah...BTW I had Aerostitch tell me over the phone they couldnt make me a suit....They didnt even see me... eek.gif

Archived