IGNORED

bucket & shim adjusters used for 1150 valve?

Dave_in_TX

I was talking to an 1150GS owner recently. He told me that the 1150 used bucket and shim adjusters. Is this true? I didn't think any of the R bikes uded bucket and shim.

Jim VonBaden

Nope, they look like this:

Intake-feeler-gage.jpg

ALL R bikes have similar valve adjustments.

The K-bikes have bucket and shim adjustments.

Jim cool.gif

Intake-feeler-gage.jpg

Jim cool.gif

Without the feeler gauge (if that's not obvious)

Mike O

Jim VonBaden

Intake-feeler-gage.jpg

Jim cool.gif

Without the feeler gauge (if that's not obvious)

Mike O

Hopefully, though I do know one guy who left them in. dopeslap.gif

They fell out and didn't do any damage, but he was lucky!

Jim cool.gif

I was talking to an 1150GS owner recently. He told me that the 1150 used bucket and shim adjusters. Is this true? I didn't think any of the R bikes uded bucket and shim.

Maybe he thought he owned the F650GS??? confused.gif

russell_bynum

Offer to do his valve adjustments for him...at 1/2 the dealer rate for adjusting shim and bucket valves.

grin.gif

Actually, that is the Canadian version of the R bike. The rocker arms are connected together with a thin strip of metal that allows both valves to be adjusted at the same time. There is a similar arrangement between the throttle bodies that allow the low speed screws to be synchronized more quickly.

I understand BMW is feverishly working on a device to permanently attach the final drive to the swing arm. This will eliminate the need to change the final drive fluid, and therefore will cut down on maintenance costs.

ShovelStrokeEd

Careful Bars,

If you bite down with your tongue that far into your cheek, you'll hurt yourself

BTW, it is Canadian but only a special kind, made only for Newfies.

Actually, that is the Canadian version of the R bike. The rocker arms are connected together with a thin strip of metal that allows both valves to be adjusted at the same time. There is a similar arrangement between the throttle bodies that allow the low speed screws to be synchronized more quickly.

I understand BMW is feverishly working on a device to permanently attach the final drive to the swing arm. This will eliminate the need to change the final drive fluid, and therefore will cut down on maintenance costs.

Sounds like you are mixing an oilhead up with a K-bike. I know the K-bikes are good, but even they were changed to four valves per cylinder with like 50,000 miles between valve adjustments.

A lot of people wish the old K75s were continued and opened up to a 900 and equipped with an optional turbochager.

Tipover Bob

Archived