IGNORED

Broken down old wreck

Tippy

Is it possible for a broken down old wreck (rider, not motorcycle) to do 1000 miles in 24hours? Gee I would like to do that, but wonder if I am too old. Are there testimonials out there?

George Brown

I did it in 2005. Just shy of 63 and a year after a mild heart attack and cardiac stent installation.

Try to do a lot of stretching exericises for the few weeks prior and wean yourself off caffine. Drink a lot of water during the ride. I ride with a Camelback. I did my SS1000 on a 90F+ August day. I stopped almost every hour either to take on fuel or let out waste.

A tip that I picked up from George Barnes (1999 IB Rally winner) was to start between midnight and 2 AM so that you are finished between 8 and 10 PM. This does two things: first, it gets most of the night riding done when you ar fresh and traffic is light and it gets it over before or near your normal bedtime. If I knew how to set up a link to another post I would link you to my trip report. You can do a search under my name back to August 2005.

As the Nike slogan says, JUST DO IT. I think one of the secrets to aging gracefully is not to let too many days pass between trying new things. Best Wishes! thumbsup.gif

Age as nothing to do with it. It seems like there are more older guys doing Ironbutts than younger guys. Prepare and enjoy the ride. cool.gif

Now that was FUNNY!! I can't wait for the response.

Tippy

I know you can do it. Take a ride from Edmonton to Regina and back. That is 980 miles based on my streets and maps software. I am sure you can figure out another 20 miles. Good luck and have fun.

Paul Mihalka

A 1000 mile day has nothing to do with age. If all you have ever done is 100 mile days with three stops, it will be very hard or impossible even if you are a 30 year old kid. If you have done a few 400 or 500 mile days, with a bit of planning you should have no problems.

Hi,

There is an 81 year old guy riding this years Iron Butt Rally.

One article reports his riding history the past few years,all short little trips of 10,000-30,000 miles.

JR356

Well, that's a lot of encouragement. I have done many 4-500 mile days over the last 41 years of riding, so...why not? As for Edmonton - Regina return, that is one straight boring road - is that the best choice for the iron butt? A much more interesting ride would be Edmonton-Calgary-Banff-Kamloops-Jasper-Edmonton. that would be 600 miles in the mountains and 400 on relatively straight roads. Maybe too challenging for an iron butt ride?

I did slightly over 1000 miles at 71 years old. Then did an additional 500 miles the next day to make 1500 miles in 36 hours. Admitedly I was able to do a good part of the ride on Nevada's Highway 50. Best to do it during a season when the days are long to avoid as much driving in the dark as possible.

I did 1000 unintentionally back in '05. I left Naples for Cleveland around 2pm and rode 700+. Stopped just north of Charlotte, NC and got a room for the night around midnight. After 5 hours of sleep I was back on the road again. I just happened to look at the odometer and watch at 2pm and noticed that I had covered just over 1000 miles in the last 24 hours. This also included a dinner and breakfast stop. I just kept a steady pace with speed set at about 75 to 80. I made it to Cleveland around 5:30 or 6:00 that afternoon with a total of 1250 miles.

Older riders have life experience, maturity and mind control to overcome extreme experiences like a long distance ride. A 22 yr old rider would need to stop more often to complain, whine and snivel.

" Older riders have life experience, maturity and mind control to overcome extreme experiences like a long distance ride. A 22 yr old rider would need to stop more often to complain, whine and snivel. "

BRAVO thumbsup.gif

I am 54, I just did my 1000 in 24hrs and 1500 in 36 hrs on the way to Sturgis.

I left early in the morning, 4am, and road mostly interstate between Pensacola and St. Joseph, Mo (arrived at 8:30pm) the first day. On the second day, trying to pick up the 1500BB, I decided enough of the superslab and went secondary (hwy 2) through Nebraska. I left at 530am and by 1:00 I had the other 430 miles I needed.

Things I would have done different - August is to hot, I would never attempt it again in extreme temps.

Tips I found and liked - don't do high speeds, I stuck to the speed limit +7 the entire trip, I did get pulled over by a Trooper outside of Nebraska City right after I came off the interstate, got away with a warning.

In the words of the coach from the Water Boy movie "You can do it".

Good Luck

Is it possible for a broken down old wreck (rider, not motorcycle) to do 1000 miles in 24hours? Gee I would like to do that, but wonder if I am too old. Are there testimonials out there?

I recently did an 1,100 mile day on my R1100RT with really no problems. I didn't set out to achieve anything, I just got close enough to home that I decided to finish the ride without stopping for another night in a motel.

I'm 57 and did this in the heat of the day, KC to Los Fresnos, TX. I have a standard seat both on my bike an on my body eek.gif. The toughest part was some rain towards dusk into the early evening. Other than that it wasn't difficult or any great feat.

One thing...I do mountain biking and longer rides on my mountain bike, so my butt is used to some use and abuse.

Hello Ken:

I went from New Underwood SD to Edmonton in 20 hours. My GPS says this is 1807 km. I believe I may have been slightly over the legal speed limit once or twice in Montana and Wyoming. This was two years ago at 58. I Probably couldn't do it now. grin.gif

Let me know if you are heading to fall Torrey. Love to have the company.

Well, you guys are amazing! Big Gray, pm me with your contact info - timing is the issue for me - too much work, not enough fun. But we should hook up for a ride some time.

Archived