IGNORED

Ignition Noise from"Ampli-rider"

daveinatlanta

daveinatlanta

I bought an Amplirider which is basically an inline amplifier that goes between my iPod and AutoCom to boost the vol of the iPod. I installed the amplirider and I'm getting an ignition tick-tick-tick sound from it, even when nothing is plugged into the amp. The sound speeds up and slows down with the engine. No hum though. When I unplug the amp from the connection to the Autocom, the sound stops. So it is definitely coming from the amp. Finally, when the engine is off but the autocom and the amplirider are on, there is obviously no ignition noise but no hum or objectionable noise of any kind.

The amp and the Autocom are powered by the bike - and they both have connections to the same point - a batter and ground wires directly from the battery. The Amp is located on top of the air filter box and the AutoCom is about 6 inches away.

I have no filters, isolation cables, etc on the power feeds to the autocom and the amp. As info, even though I get this ignition sound when nothing is plugged into the autocom or the amp, everything that I usually plug into it is battery powered.

How can I cure the ignition ticking?

Dave, the first thing to try is relocate the ampli-rider farther away from the motor/spark plugs/other electronics...i.e. *upwards*. Is there a way you can plug an earphone (just a cheap mp3 set or like) into the ampli, and while listening for the "tick" move away from the bike while its running, then move closer and try it in different positions--assuming the ampli has its on battery?

Dave, the first thing to try is relocate the ampli-rider farther away from the motor/spark plugs/other electronics...i.e. *upwards*. Is there a way you can plug an earphone (just a cheap mp3 set or like) into the ampli, and while listening for the "tick" move away from the bike while its running, then move closer and try it in different positions--assuming the ampli has its on battery?

One other thought too--try shielding the *audio* cables running from the ipod to the ampli and from the ampli to the autocom--if one of them is a shielded autocom cable, it may not need it. wrap some aluminum foil lengthwise around the cables--if it stops the tick, buy a shielded cable. ignition noise is coming straight thru the air--doesn't need a connection from the bikes power supply.

Dave--forgot to mention--when you try shielding with foil, the foil needs to be connected to the frame/ground on the bike for it to work. leave some excess off one end and push it against the bars or us a scrap piece of wire to accomplish it.

I bought an Amplirider which is basically an inline amplifier that goes between my iPod and AutoCom to boost the vol of the iPod. I installed the amplirider and I'm getting an ignition tick-tick-tick sound from it, even when nothing is plugged into the amp. The sound speeds up and slows down with the engine. No hum though. When I unplug the amp from the connection to the Autocom, the sound stops. So it is definitely coming from the amp. Finally, when the engine is off but the autocom and the amplirider are on, there is obviously no ignition noise but no hum or objectionable noise of any kind.

The amp and the Autocom are powered by the bike - and they both have connections to the same point - a batter and ground wires directly from the battery. The Amp is located on top of the air filter box and the AutoCom is about 6 inches away.

I have no filters, isolation cables, etc on the power feeds to the autocom and the amp. As info, even though I get this ignition sound when nothing is plugged into the autocom or the amp, everything that I usually plug into it is battery powered.

How can I cure the ignition ticking?

All good advice. However, since the Autocom and the Amp are both bike-powered, and since this creates a ground loop, do you have the amp connected to the Autocom by means of cable #1314 which has a ground-loop isolator built in?

daveinatlanta
However,since the Autocom and the Amp are both bike-powered, and since this creates a ground loop, do you have the amp connected to the Autocom by means of cable #1314 which has a ground-loop isolator built in?

Maybe. I just plugged in the Aux 2 Lead (MP3 player) from the AutoCom directly into the amp. The Aux2 lead is what used to go to my iPod. I don't know if the Aux2 lead has the isolator.

Additionally - below are the suggestions received this am from Gary, the builder of the amplirider. I have not tried any of these yet but will do so and report back here.

..." I would first double check that the main portion of the amp isn't too close to the ignition module. Sometimes what can really help is changing the place where the AmpliRider's power wires are hooked up. I would start with the ground wire. Instead of hooking the negative wire up to the battery you may want to attach it to another part of the bike that connects to ground.

Inline power supply filters help sometimes but this is for the cases where the noise comes into the amp from the power supply. To test to see if the noise is coming from the power wire I would try hooking the AmpliRider up to a 9 volt battery. If the ignition noises go away when the amp is hooked up to a separate 9 volt battery then a power supply filter would probably help."

Thanks to all in advance for your help.

I had the same issue with my GPS and my amplirider, cured by adding Radio Shacks 'ground loop isolator' to the Garmin's audio output.

I had the same issue with my GPS and my amplirider, cured by adding Radio Shacks 'ground loop isolator' to the Garmin's audio output.

Do you have a part number for this. I asked for one at my local Radio Shack this weekend and they looked at me like I was speaking a foreign language.

daveinatlanta
I asked for one at my local Radio Shack this weekend and they looked at me like I was speaking a foreign language.

They speak South Georgian. If yer not frum round hear, they caint unnerstan.

Archived