IGNORED

Twinmax readings- Synching etc

RoSPA_man

Hi guys

A few quick questions. Tonight for the first time with the 1200 (used to do the 1150 regularly), I checked the sync and found that the reading is to the left- i.e. the vacuum is higher, ie the left is leading the right etc. (I did not disconnect the steppers)

Questions:

1. If there is no control of adjusting tickover (due to steppers etc) as was previously pointed out, what do I or the dealer do to correct it - is it valve clearances perhaps or are there other obvious things to look for.

2. If the tickover reading is left-biased and also left-biased when on the throttle, can I assume these events are definitely linked, possibly linked or coincidence?

3. I seem to recall that the instruction is all adjustment is done on the right TB- it appears however that, just like the 1150, I could adjust either side- is that instruction i.e. to get the right to match the left and not to touch the left side TB just for convenience or is there a specific reason to do it that way only - ie adjusting th right TB to match the left?

I'm gagging to get this balanced as it has not felt sweet for several thousand miles - thanks in advance

Out of sync at tick-over/idle a bit seems normal for the hexheads. Especially right after start up. I think it takes a bit of time for the BMS-K to evaluate all of the inputs and decide how to adjust the steppers.

But at a higher RPM, on throttle, if you are still out, the right side cable needs to be adjusted.

It really does no good to adjust the cable on the left, you are just trying to get them to pull the same. Adjusting only one side will do that. The biggest reason to leave the left side alone is to insure that the left side returns to its idle stop screw because that's where the TPS is located.

If you should adjust with or without the steppers connected is a big controversy. Without hashing the whole issue out here yet again, I's say try it both ways and see which way you like how the bike runs.

Out of sync at tick-over/idle a bit seems normal for the hexheads. Especially right after start up. I think it takes a bit of time for the BMS-K to evaluate all of the inputs and decide how to adjust the steppers.

But at a higher RPM, on throttle, if you are still out, the right side cable needs to be adjusted.

It really does no good to adjust the cable on the left, you are just trying to get them to pull the same. Adjusting only one side will do that. The biggest reason to leave the left side alone is to insure that the left side returns to its idle stop screw because that's where the TPS is located.

If you should adjust with or without the steppers connected is a big controversy. Without hashing the whole issue out here yet again, I's say try it both ways and see which way you like how the bike runs.

Thanks Ken

For the record, I did a very quick adjust, with steppers in play, I simply adjusted right throttle cable to get an even reading on the TWinMAx- bike feels a shade more responsive, although note that I did have (and still have) a slightly unbalanced tickover to start with- I am assuming that, as I am powerless to affect the tickover, doing what I have done - ie correctling the "on the cable" running is an OK procedure- seems to be anyway and the TwinMax reading is balanced all the way through the revs!

Archived