IGNORED

So long as we are blaming others (mild rant)

ShovelStrokeEd

....find a speed and lane where you're just going with the flow of traffic.

Gotta jump in here with a BIG disagreement.

Going at the same same speed with the flow of traffic makes you a sitting duck. The lame-brain that saw you in their mirror 30 seconds ago forgets you are still there. They make some bone-headed move & suddenly, you're all over the brakes/horn/emergency lane, wondering what the hey.

No, I'll always move faster than the flow, thank you very much.

word

"No, I'll always move faster than the flow, thank you very much."

Congestion always occurs behind a slightly slower than normal vehicle. If I come upon one on the highway and there's already a 'clot' of traffic around it. I'll sometimes just settle in 50 yards behind the 'blocker' and wait a couple of minutes.

Invariably the clot disolves leaving an easy pass, a few 'normal speed' vehicles strung out ahead, and the 'wolf pack' speedsters well down the road. I accelerate and pass all the slower drivers into the wide open spaces ... speed idiots dissappearing over the horizon and blockers well behind me.

These gaps in traffic sometimes last for tens of minutes and allow me to kick back until it's time to work again. My objective is always to find open road. This technique works out to be 10+ over the speed limit but I've never been stopped.

Collisions occur when two objects try to occupy the same space at the same time ... the fewer objects in your vacinity the lower the odds of collision.

Glad you survived!! thumbsup.gif

Bluehair alerts and alarms are popping-up everywhere as the anual seasonal migration down to Florida will start soon.. eek.gifbncry.gif

Maybe you are defining "go with the flow" in the metaphorical sense of, relax, be cool, un-stressed, etc.

But if you are say as in track with traffic, I have to agree with Danny and say it is a poor idea. People notice ojects that have a speed differential from their own far better than objects that do not. If on a bike you are riding with trafffic, no delta (above or below) from their speed, you are more likely to blend in with the surrondings. Even if moving surrondings.

The visual difference between us on a bike and everything else is what counts.

russell_bynum

I found hte easiest thing was ot just relax, and find a speed and lane where you're just going with the flow of traffic.

You're right...it's the easiest.

It's also the best way to find yourself playing the role of the cream filling in an SUV Oreo. eek.gif

The most uncomfortable/uneasy you'll ever find me on a bike is when I'm in a situation where I have to sit with the flow of traffic.

I normally agree that a motorcycle should keep moving with traffic... but there was something strange about the freeways in St. Louis, a very different dynamic.

Most cars were very well organized in the right 3 lanes, but the left lane was a scary mix of slow and fast cars and lots of yo-yo slamming on the brakes.

I've grew up in Detroit where every stop light is a drag race follwed by a test of your ABS at the next light just to keep up with the flow of traffic. i also lived in Chicago for a few years where driving on the freeway felt like you were lane splitting.

But St. Louis is just weird in how 1/2 of the cars drive very mellow and pack up in the right lane, 1/4 are old people or country bumpkins putting around 10 under the speed limit, and the other 1/4 are frickin lunatics. There's also pretty heavy semi traffic on I-70 so you can easily get boxed in a miss an exit.

I'm going back through St. Louis tommorrow on a 350 mile loop around the Mississippi river from my home. Then it's up to Burlington for some Sushi... yes sushi in SE Iowa. We just learned of this restaurants existance. We thought our only option was 100 miles away in Iowa City until now.

I'll let you know how I did in traffic. I'm riding 2-up, so I'll have to ride a little conservative or I'll PO the boss.

"No, I'll always move faster than the flow, thank you very much."

Congestion always occurs behind a slightly slower than normal vehicle. If I come upon one on the highway and there's already a 'clot' of traffic around it. I'll sometimes just settle in 50 yards behind the 'blocker' and wait a couple of minutes.

Invariably the clot disolves leaving an easy pass, a few 'normal speed' vehicles strung out ahead, and the 'wolf pack' speedsters well down the road. I accelerate and pass all the slower drivers into the wide open spaces ... speed idiots dissappearing over the horizon and blockers well behind me.

These gaps in traffic sometimes last for tens of minutes and allow me to kick back until it's time to work again. My objective is always to find open road. This technique works out to be 10+ over the speed limit but I've never been stopped.

Collisions occur when two objects try to occupy the same space at the same time ... the fewer objects in your vacinity the lower the odds of collision.

I think you described what I really meant. In heavy traffic, it's often best to find an empty space to ride,stay out of blind spots and pass when nessesary rather than cutting people off and weaving trough traffic like mad just to get 1/4 mile further up the road to the next "road block" along with a long line of cars all doing the same thing ready to flatten you from behind.

harleyjohn45
[soapbox] I strongly favor mandatory annual or otherwise regular driving tests for those over age XX. We lose important sensory and integration function with age and there is nothing we can do about it. Spectacles and hearing aides can improve the input, but what happens with that data once it goes upstairs is something that no drug or assistive device can improve. [/soapbox]

I watch patients that can B-A-R-E-L-Y walk into the office then drive themselves home. I'm all about independence, but at what price? And to bring this up to them - yikes. Don your armor man because they will fight it till the death.

13 posts and here comes the mandatory

[soapbox] I strongly favor mandatory annual or otherwise regular driving tests for those over age XX. We lose important sensory and integration function with age and there is nothing we can do about it. Spectacles and hearing aides can improve the input, but what happens with that data once it goes upstairs is something that no drug or assistive device can improve. [/soapbox]

I watch patients that can B-A-R-E-L-Y walk into the office then drive themselves home. I'm all about independence, but at what price? And to bring this up to them - yikes. Don your armor man because they will fight it till the death.

How much will you fight when someone (some anonymous gov't hack) tries to take your independence; that will be a good one I'll wager.

How much will you fight when someone (some anonymous gov't hack) tries to take your independence; that will be a good one I'll wager.

Personally, if someday I'm no longer capable of safely operating a vehicle I HOPE someone steps in and stops me. The alternative of killing someone because of my incompetence is far more horrifying to me.

See the last line in my post. Obviously, no one is going to want to sacrifice their independence in the name of empathy or preservation of the health and well being of those around them. Idealistically, sure I hope someone takes my license when my cognitive and motor skills go down hill; practically, I'll likely want to strangle them as they take it. But hopefully at that point I'll be physically unable to harm them...so go ahead and wager on it. wink.gif

See the last line in my post. Obviously, no one is going to want to sacrifice their independence in the name of empathy or preservation of the health and well being of those around them. Idealistically, sure I hope someone takes my license when my cognitive and motor skills go down hill; practically, I'll likely want to strangle them as they take it. But hopefully at that point I'll be physically unable to harm them...so go ahead and wager on it. wink.gif

OK, I'll bet you $1. grin.gif Oh, and I did read the last sentence of your post.

I live just outside Phoenix AZ. If you don't know about Sun City Az and are a motorcyclist you should. I grew up here and NEVER rode thru Sun City. They scared me to death.

Well, one Friday in 1982 I'm in a hurry to meet some friends for a 4 day ride. Quickest route to the meeting point was through Sun City, like a dumb ass I didn't heed my own advice. Sure enough, a little blue haired old lady turned left in front of me. I was on my new R100RS, I center punched her right front front fender. I was geared up in leather jacket and pants, full face helmet, and I hit her at about 20 MPH, I skipped off the hood, landed on my feet and rolled with it. Bounced up, I was only 22 ya know, and ran to the side of the road. I was fine, a bit sore, but OK. She on the other hand ended up going to the hospital. Scared her too bad.

Never did meet my friends that day, the poor RS got replaced with another RS.

Archived