IGNORED

Help needed with rear brake pedal adjustment on R1100RT

motoleo

I recently installed a pair of Suburban Machinerey lowered driver pegs on my 99 R1100RT and also installed their lowered and extended shift lever and they work fine and my left foot is comfortable.

The right (brake pedal side) is a different story. I tried to adjust my rear brake pedal so it would be lower and there is no more adjustment on the rod that clips onto the brake pedal from the master cylinderand the pedal need to be lowered at least another 1/2" or more. Do I need to get another rod and shorten it so that will lower the brake pedal?

If that works how do I adjust the microswitch for the brake light? Do I need to ge ta longer adjustment bolt for the microwsith or can I bend the end of the switch that touched the brake pedal?

Am I wrong in my thinking and missing something?

Thanks,

You kind of have the horse before the cart... Adjust the bolt on the micro switch for the brake light first to get the position of the pedal where you want it with the master cylinder rod disconnected completely. And yes you can install a longer bolt. Then adjust the rod to the master cylinder for the proper gap before the application of the brakes begin. Or to put it another way, the master cylinder rod should not be used to hold the pedal where you want it. Doing so risk creating a constant brake drag.

Thanks Ken.

Does that mean I'll probably have to shorten (or use another shorter rod) for the master cyclinder rod? I can't see me adjusting the rod at its present length.

Thanks Ken.

Does that mean I'll probably have to shorten (or use another shorter rod) for the master cylinder rod? I can't see me adjusting the rod at its present length.

I'm not sure how far down tipped you're trying to get the pedal, but there are certainly limits to the factory adjustment. I guess in theory it would be pretty straight forward to thread the factory master cylinder push rod further and shorten it.

Archived