IGNORED

Nope, my drink holder didn't break

fossil

texasaggie97

What does it smell like. If it does not smell it could be water from the cat. Mine will do the same thing just not that much. Let me know what it smells like.

Good luck with that.

Effervescent

I want that damn cigar!

Can't load image. bncry.gif Gonna say...bike tipped over and it's the water that snuck into the hole in the rear rim? lurker.gif

-Eff

Hmmm. Not sure about the link. I guess some of you have been able to open it. yes?? Will have to check when I get home due to the firewall on this PC.

Hint. It's fuel. What was the failure point?

Jerry Johnston

You must have one of the very rare water cooled 1150's. grin.gif

Certainly doesn't look like oil, when you smell it does it smell like brake fluid or gasoline?

I hope that it is the quick disconnect. Too much fuel to have been overfilled and running out the overflow. Take the tupperware off of the right side, you should be able to tell pretty quick. Good luck, and don't smoke that see-gar.

a quick disconnect?

You and AndyS are correct. Wow, you guys across the pond are smart. Surprised Philby didn't get this. Guess he's been here to long. smile.gif

You guys are either good or unfortunate recipients of this experience. Specifically on the fuel line disconnect it was the sealing o-ring between the male and female components that broke into without so much as a weep for a warning. With the fuel dribbling and steaming off the top of the catalytic converter got me to wondering if it would get hot enough to flash the gasoline so as to determine if it would have been ok to continue on to make it home in time for dinner or something important like that. Wouldn’t have gotten far before the tank had emptied but if your in the boonies might be good to know. Anyone have any facts on this?

Well the flash point of gasoline is about 250C. The internal temp of a cat can be 900C, but the external temp is a lot less. Over 250C? I doubt it, but anybody have a infrared thermal temp probe they can scan theirs with?

Anyone have any facts on this?
It's a pretty common problem. You might have stumped them with a quick-disconnect that wasn't leaking though... grin.gif
a quick disconnect?

You and AndyS are correct. Wow, you guys across the pond are smart. Surprised Philby didn't get this. Guess he's been here to long. smile.gif

You guys are either good or unfortunate recipients of this experience. Specifically on the fuel line disconnect it was the sealing o-ring between the male and female components that broke into without so much as a weep for a warning. With the fuel dribbling and steaming off the top of the catalytic converter got me to wondering if it would get hot enough to flash the gasoline so as to determine if it would have been ok to continue on to make it home in time for dinner or something important like that. Wouldn’t have gotten far before the tank had emptied but if your in the boonies might be good to know. Anyone have any facts on this?

Roland, as a rule dripping liquid gasoline evaporates before it ignites on a very hot surface but that isn’t a guarantee.. I sure wouldn't try to ride it like that though.. Diesel, motor oil, gear oil, antifreeze, power steering fluid, is much more likely to ignite on contact with a hot surface as it sticks & doesn’t evaporate until ignition..

Twisty

Archived