IGNORED

Hard starting

MikeyO

Near the end of a ride today, after a stop during heavy rain, I tried to start my '04 1150rt and it sounded like I had a dead battery. I tried it a second time and it started, but only after "dragging" slowly then abruptly started spinning fast enough to start the bike. When I got home I shut it off and it did the same thing again; dragging at first then spinning up fast. I should also note that it reset my clock to 00:00 both times I started like this. Anybody had anything similar occur? Thought it might be because of the rain or something. Started fine about 10 times earlier in the day.

More information required

What was the temperature?

How many miles on the bike?

Bikes are usually easier to start when warm unless the motor is tight and batteries hate the cold, to me it sounds like your up for a new battery as a cell can short itself internally after plates buckle or the lead sulphate compound falls to the bottom of the cell reducing its capacity or shorting the cells

Have a look at the Odyssey PC680 battery designed for aircraft it will be more costly BUT you can expect VAROOM!!

Near the end of a ride today, after a stop during heavy rain, I tried to start my '04 1150rt and it sounded like I had a dead battery. I tried it a second time and it started, but only after "dragging" slowly then abruptly started spinning fast enough to start the bike. When I got home I shut it off and it did the same thing again; dragging at first then spinning up fast. I should also note that it reset my clock to 00:00 both times I started like this. Anybody had anything similar occur? Thought it might be because of the rain or something. Started fine about 10 times earlier in the day.

Mike, without a little testing of more info it is going to be difficult to tell you much..

With riding in the rain it’s possible you have a loose or slipping alternator belt allowing the battery to run down…

OR as mentioned above you could just have a bad battery..

Or you could have some resistance problems in your starter wiring or even the starter itself..

I would suggest you have your battery load tested (most bike shops will do that for free),, or if an older battery just replace it.. If the battery isn’t the problem then check the alternator belt (under the front engine cover) & possibly check the alternator output under working load..

Other than that you could have a dragging starter,, or battery cable resistance (check the battery cable connections for corrosion)..

There are some other minor possible causes like an ign timing issue or hydro lock but those would be stretching it..

Twisty

Agreed with what everyone has said. However, before looking at getting a new battery, check the connections for loose/corroded (heavy rain comments??)conditions.

(I fell victim to loose connections myself!)

Good luck.

Archived