IGNORED

R1200RT ergos - my setup works for me!

Effjay

I posted here recently about the fully loaded 2007 R1200RT I purchased last weekend with just 514 miles on the odometer at that time. Also pre-installed were Suburban peg lowering kits, Suburban bar risers and a Touratech shift lever. At the time, I wasn't so sure how any of that stuff would work for me because I really enjoy the cornering clearance goodness BMW endowed the RT with from the factory! For example, I must crank up the suspension on my "sportier" FJR1300 (for sale) to avoid dragging boots or (worse yet) hard stuff! After a few days riding local twisties (in "normal" ESA mode), I conclude the peg kits are keepers and the bar risers as well!

clap.gif

For any others considering, I took some measurements and pics this afternoon. With the bike on the centerstand, both lowered pegs measure from ground to top trailing edge 13.75" (+/-). The Touratech shifter was already set to a height of 13.25", so I lowered the BMW brake pedal to that same height via the threaded adjusted rod. I did have to buy a longer machine (return stop) screw and adjust that as well.

Ergos, especially handlebar position are crucial to me due to extreme arthritis in my throttle hand/wrist. Ortho docs concluded surgery is too risky, so meds are my friend for now. I can report with much delight that this bike with noted ergos and electronic cruise control resolves my problems and is a keeper! Hope all this is useful...

Jeff 272822693.jpg[/img] 272822691.jpg[/img] 272822495.jpg[/img] 272822688.jpg[/img] 272822500.jpg[/img]

Thanks for your post...

however, i'm thinking those measurements might not be accurate... Looks to me like the bike is on its center stand... Aside from that, it's without rider weight.

tongue.gif

Thanks for your post...

however, i'm thinking those measurements might not be accurate... Looks to me like the bike is on its center stand... Aside from that, it's without rider weight.

tongue.gif

The measurements are accurate +/- a fraction and yes the RT is on the centerstand (as stated above). The point of those measurements and pics was to provide a reference point for others considering lowered pegs. This was not an attempt to show seat-to-peg relationships, since each person's body is different in that regard.

Jeff

Ergos, especially handlebar position are crucial to me due to extreme arthritis in my throttle hand/wrist. Ortho docs concluded surgery is too risky, so meds are my friend for now. I can report with much delight that this bike with noted ergos and electronic cruise control resolves my problems and is a keeper! Hope all this is useful... Jeff

Nice work documenting your changes. On my RT I also use a Throttle Rocker to reduce force on my right wrist when riding roads that are not conducive to the use of cruise control. Helps a lot with my wrist issues.

Nice work documenting your changes. On my RT I also use a Throttle Rocker to reduce force on my right wrist when riding roads that are not conducive to the use of cruise control. Helps a lot with my wrist issues.

LL,

It seems we have wrist woes in common. I've been using a Throttle Rocker in combo with Throttlemeister on my FJR1300 and will keep one in reserve for the RT.

Whuteva dude...

I was just saying that if you are concerned about peg height as a "practical" rather than "conceptual" matter.

I would think it would make sense to measure while your sitting ON the bike.

Cheers

Archived