IGNORED

BMW synthetic gear oil question.

Lone_RT_rider

Lone_RT_rider

I have been using the 75-140W BMW synthetic gear oil in my 1999 R1100RT since my first 12K fluid change in 2000. It's been a tried and true lubricant over the years that always seems to work just fine. I just got my transmission back from having it rebuilt after 91,500 miles recently. I also headed to the BMW dealer pick up some fresh fluid for the install I have scheduled for September. I happen to look over in the level sight bar on the bottle and low and behold its......RED!

Wha??? eek.gif

When did this happen? My curiosity gets the best of me and I open the bottle and stick my finger in there to find out.... It also feels more like 5W30 motor oil now! Does anyone know if BMW (or their supplier) changed the formula?

Bruno had suggested that I might want to change to Redline shockproof for the rebuilt trans. Any thoughts on this?

Also, I am very sorry to be starting another "oil" thread. This just took my by suprise.

Shawn

Lone_RT_rider
About a year ago they changed suppliers.

It must have taken a while to work through the existing stock because I just purchased a quart of the old brown stuff in June. crazy.gif

Shawn

I understand that the change in color was made to differentiate between the transmission fluid and engine oil. Apparently that became a problem for some people who were putting engine oil in the transmission or vice versa.

Lone_RT_rider
I understand that the change in color was made to differentiate between the transmission fluid and engine oil. Apparently that became a problem for some people who were putting engine oil in the transmission or vice versa.

Well that seems like a logical reason to change the color, but it doesnt explain how the viscocity went from that of honey to something closer to really thin motor oil. It's truly a different animal from what I picked up from the dealer last time.

Shawn

Archived