IGNORED

If the stock R1150RT radio is so bad.....

RonStewart

Why do R1150RT radios show up so rarely on eBay? When they do, they sell for $355! I really want one, since I already have the antenna, bracket and speakers, but $355?

russell_bynum

Maybe people are hanging on to them to put them back in the bike when they sell it?

As for the price...what does it cost to buy one at the dealership?

As for the price...what does it cost to buy one at the dealership?
A whole bunch more than $355. But this still leaves me confused because if people can get $355 for these easily removed and supposedly useless radios, why don't they sell them on eBay?

There's actually not all that many of them around. Most R1150RTs came with the radio prep kit, that included the antenna, but not that many of them actually had the radio.

Couple that with an overall level of mechanical skill in the general public, many people lacking the skill to remove one, and the small % of 1150RT's that had them probably still do.

i have an 04 1150 rt, ive never used the radio, i prefer the boxer sound. i could sell it but when i sell i know the first buyer will say "wheres the radio"

Most of our touring at the moment is in Europe where the radio is rather dire. I took the radio out to have the use of the (much needed) space and bought an ipod. I will keep the radio to put back in when I sell the bike, it seems strange to have a bike that is kitted out for a radio but does not have one fitted.

John Bentall

When new these radios were a $1200 extra so I would want at least $355 for an old radio.

The radio is Europe (especially the UK) is sufficiently good in my opinion for me to order the radio with my machine.

According to NADA, the radio adds about $160 to the value of a used 1150RT.

The auction shows that somebody is willing to pay double that to add a radio. I think that's reasonable because the auction reflects the price that the top one or two buyers are willing to pay for an item that's available only occasionally, not the price an average buyer would pay.

I recently removed my radio + speakers, and I'll sell them. Just not sure when.

If I remove the radio from my '04 R1150RT Limited Edition I'll lose the cachet of the Limited moniker. lmao.gif

Mine pipes radio to my Autocom, the radio tunes my sat and routes it to the Autocom, and my MP3 dumps into it via one of those cheesy tape deck adapters, to the autocom. The handlebar switches being fully integrated is nice, and for audio on the bike w/ the noise challenges, it works fine in that role.

On the rare occasions I'm tooling around town and don't have my ear speakers in, I hear the dash speakers fine at low speeds. I have other places to put stuff so I don't need the space.

I like it fine this way, so you can't have my radio.

Archived