IGNORED

Driveshaft bearing questions

NonComp

Haynes says that generally the markings on a bearing face outward. But this does not seem to be the case on the final drive pivot bearings. At least, when I took mine apart, the inner race came out with the pivot pin, so that means that markings were inward on the final drive pivot bearings. Does that sound right?

Also, I guess there is no way to lube the bearings in the universal joints on the driveshaft?

Haynes says that generally the markings on a bearing face outward. But this does not seem to be the case on the final drive pivot bearings. At least, when I took mine apart, the inner race came out with the pivot pin, so that means that markings were inward on the final drive pivot bearings. Does that sound right?

Also, I guess there is no way to lube the bearings in the universal joints on the driveshaft?

Glen,

I'm not sure why you think it matters or why Haynes would say that but yes, the FAG numbers are on the inner edge of the outer race for this particular bearing. On these tapered needle bearings, they only fit together one way.

No, you cannot lube the U-Joints. frown.gif

Mick

Archived