IGNORED

BMW brake lights help

Francis

I purchased a used BMW license plate holder with the extra bright light attached for my 2002 R1150RT. The previous owner had cut off the connectors so I have three wires to connect to the rear brake light. One wire is brown, one is grey with a white stripe and one is solid yellow. From the wiring diagram in the Haynes book it appears that the brown wire goes to the brake light ground, the grey with white stripe goes to the hot side of the brake light. Where does the yellow go? It's not shown in the Haynes diagrams.

I would appreciate help in confirming the wiring set-up for this accessory.

Thanks

Francis

Well brown is ground, of the other two one is the brake and the other is tail light. I bet the light wouldn't care it you got them backward. take an educated guess and if its wrong reverse your wires.

Thanks for the help. By experimentation this morning the brown goes to ground, the grey with white stripe goes to the tail light power connector and the yellow connects to the power side of the brake light.

Now that it is wired up I have a continuous running light below the license plate that gives a quick flash and goes very bright when the brakes are applied. Hopefully it's enough of a stinger to keep the varmints off my tail.

Archived