IGNORED

Torque data for handlebar/R1200RT

Bernie

I just picked up my new R1200RT, and my handlebar mounting bolts are loose. I tighten them up, but do not have my service manual yet, to be able to look up the proper torque value. Does any one have the info?

Below according to mine:

32 71 - Motorcycle handlebars

Handlebar, left/right to fork bridge

Handlebar, left/right to fork bridge, M8 x 30

19 Nm

Funny you mentioned this.

I just removed mine to install bar risers/backs, and noticed the bar bolts had a liberal coating of what I think is anti-sieze... I was expecting blue or red loctite, but never anti-seize.

Then I noticed that the bottom of the bolts are exposed under the head stock/triple tree. Maybe that gunk is to keep corrosion off.

Anyone else see that?

I just picked up my new R1200RT, and my handlebar mounting bolts are loose. I tighten them up, but do not have my service manual yet, to be able to look up the proper torque value. Does any one have the info?

I think I'd call the dealer and tell them the handlebars were loose. As someone else said, "What may not have been tightened?"

Mine had a little anti seize on them as well. It was not a liberal coating as you describe but there was definitely some on there.

Funny you mentioned this.

I just removed mine to install bar risers/backs, and noticed the bar bolts had a liberal coating of what I think is anti-sieze... I was expecting blue or red loctite, but never anti-seize.

Then I noticed that the bottom of the bolts are exposed under the head stock/triple tree. Maybe that gunk is to keep corrosion off.

Anyone else see that?

Archived