Weird Zumo 550 question

OldBoldPilot

OldBoldPilot

I have a Zumo 550 on the way to replace my 2730. I'm pretty clear on the ins and outs of mounting it on my bike, but I have a question about using the Zumo with the Bluetooth function on my car.

I drive a late-model BMW which has Bluetooth, and my cell phone is paired to the car such that everything is hands-free. What I am wondering is whether I can pair the Zumo to the car as well, so that the nav instructions will come through the car's speakers wirelessly, like the phone does. Anyone have a guess? Of course, I'll know as soon as I get the Zumo and try it out smile.gif

Oh, and I don't plan to pair the Zumo with the phone at all. The phone already works with the car, and I have no intention of talking on the phone while on the bike.

I don't think the Zumo would have a way communicating with the cars system. I have my Zumo paired to my phone and it has become one of the more pleasant features of the Zumo. When in the car cradle it is "hands free" with good audio. When in the bike cradle I have an Edsets microphone/cable system that I adapted to my Shure ear phone buds. I don't remember during setup of any way for the navigation prompts to be transmitted by bluetooth.

In a bluetooth network, one device is the master and the rest are slaves. Both your Zumo and your car radio are set up as masters. Very few devices can function as either a master or a slave. Therefore, your car raadio and your Zumo cannot be paired.

I have a Zumo 550 (and several other Garmins). You can indeed hear your nav instructions (as well as any audio -- MP3, XM, audio books, etc.) through your car's stereo system; but perhaps not "as well," with your phone paired through your car separately.

If you were to remove that latter pairing entirely, you would only need (in order of audio quality preference), using the Zumo's audio output jack, (1) a line input jack to your car stereo, (2) a cassette adapter, or wirelessly, (3) an FM tuner modulator.

I use a Nuvi 660 in my car, but besides using the Zumo on my bike, if I DID use it in my car, and as I do with my Nuvi, I plug a cassette adapter into my GPS output, plug the cassette into my cassette well in my stereo, and voila, I have all my nav prompts, music, and of course (like the Zumo would also do) along with the built-in mic, you'd be able to hear telephone callers through your stereo. I do and the sound is fantastic (all hands-free of course)!

Archived