IGNORED

GPS arrived! DIsk no worky!

PRC

Hope this is in the right forum, if not please move me to where I should be.

My refurbed Garmin 2720 got here yesterday afternoon, and I am pumped. So this morning I go to install the drivers on my computer with the City Navigator NT v.8, and there's no data on the disk! Tried on both computers here at the house, the CD drive doesn't recognize there's a disk in the drive. WTH?? Any suggestions on what to do next?

TIA.

Hope this is in the right forum, if not please move me to where I should be.

My refurbed Garmin 2720 got here yesterday afternoon, and I am pumped. So this morning I go to install the drivers on my computer with the City Navigator NT v.8, and there's no data on the disk! Tried on both computers here at the house, the CD drive doesn't recognize there's a disk in the drive. WTH?? Any suggestions on what to do next?

TIA.

Yep sounds like disk drive issue. If it IS a DVD it wont work if your drive is just for CD's. And if you have 2 drives like I have, and the disk is a CD, my DVD drive will not play CD's. Check compatibilities.

Looks like you're going to have to install a DVD drive on your computer. The costs are way down (less than $50) for decent DVD read/write drives. Simple job, too ... just pull out the old CD drive and install the new one ... following the instructions, of course. Good luck. wave.gif

Looks like you're going to have to install a DVD drive on your computer. The costs are way down (less than $50) for decent DVD read/write drives. Simple job, too ... just pull out the old CD drive and install the new one ... following the instructions, of course. Good luck. wave.gif

Not necessarily--do you only have to install drivers? Or the entire City nav database? If its just drivers, if you have access to another computer that has a dvd drive you could just copy the files to the hard drive and then burn them to a CD or transfer to your comp. with a flash drive.

Not necessarily--do you only have to install drivers? Or the entire City nav database? If its just drivers, if you have access to another computer that has a dvd drive you could just copy the files to the hard drive and then burn them to a CD or transfer to your comp. with a flash drive.

Yes, The GPS already is loaded with v8. I think I need the drivers so that I can download the updates when they come out. There's also a selection for extras in the menu..when I press this, it tells me to goto a website and d/l from there. Do I really need this though? As Vinnie Barbarino would say, "I'm so confused."

You can get a DVD drive for under $40 at your local computer store. I just went through this on Monday. Took longer to figure out how to open the computer case than to actually install and configure the drive.

I'd recommend you install the full CN database on your hard drive so you can do your route planning on the PC with a mouse and big screen. It "can" be done on the GPS unit itself but it is much easier on a PC.

You should be able to download the drivers from the Garmin site. Not sure, but you might be able to download the drivers and then upload the maps from the GPS itself. As others have already said, the DVD's are quite cheap now as well.

Archived