"Digital Hero" video cam

Tommy_Boy

Anybody tried one of these Digital Hero 3 video cameras. Made for active sports, supposedly can record up to 54 minutes of TV-quality video/audio, and runs on AAA batteries. Seems like it might be just the ticket for making motorcycling videos.

skinny_tom (aka boney)

640x480 is pretty good resolution. Most of the stuff out there doesn't do better than 320x240. The web site doesn't specify whether it does 30 fps though, and that makes a difference. For the price, it doesn't seem like a bad deal... I bought some high speed 2Gig CF cards of Amazon.com for a pretty good price too.

The Cnet review tells us that it's not very good digital camera. Well, that's hardly surprising.

But in this case intended use is digital VIDEO camera to capture, I assume, video on a moving bike.

would be interesting to know how this little gizmo performs in that duty.

Another contender in same category seems to be:

Oregon Scientific ATC2000

Anyone have tried that?

--

Mikko

None of these cheap cams will have auto-focus--they are all fixed focus. And of course no zoom. Most have no screen, only an optical viewfinder. Don't expect sharp pics or vids. Difficult to know exactly WHAT you are aiming it at. I also have my doubts as how they handle different lighting conditions, going from sun to shade. I have seen cheap vidcams that have NO ability to distinguish this; they simply lock in on the ambient light when you first start filming and if the light changes, the vids either get washed out by the extra light or go dark.

Anybody tried one of these Digital Hero 3 video cameras. Made for active sports, supposedly can record up to 54 minutes of TV-quality video/audio, and runs on AAA batteries. Seems like it might be just the ticket for making motorcycling videos.

Hi guys!

GoPro Support here...want to answer some questions and let you know we are the real deal.

The CNET review is a very poor excuse for a review...done inside with office lighting and a fish tank (c'mon!) prior to our official product release with a pre-production sample. We've made so many updates since that camera they reviewed it's literally not even the same camera. They failed to mention their sample was a pre-production demo they got at a pre-launch trade show.

Our camera shoots 30 frames per second for 56 minutes when you use a 2GB SD card. Adjusted resolution is 513X384 as we tweaked the settings for maximum smoothness. Our site will be updated with that info shortly.

Check out this quality and you decide if it's worth $139.99 and supreme convenience lurker.gif

Race car testing

http://gopro.vsocial.com/#102853

Enduro testing:

http://gopro.vsocial.com/#93238

2 AAA NiMH rechargeable batteries will last for 2hrs of video recording.

As you can see from the motorcycle video above our camera adapts to light/dark lighting extremely well (and fast).

You can also appreciate how good the colors are and, ahem..., how sharp the image is!

We have a selectable special high vibration sound setting so you can still capture good sound on high vibration gear like motorcycles. Again, listen to the sound in the Enduro video...with the camera mounted in the rear wheel well...! Awesome.

The entire unit with strap and batteries weight 4.5oz. Use 3M VHB 4991 double stick rubber tape (no residue) to mount it ANYWHERE...just remove the strap and your set. It's so light there is zero shake and you can get really creative with it. Will strap to pegs, etc...super versatile.

November 1 we're releasing a line of attachment accessories you can use to quick-release mount your camera on your helmet, moto, car, etc. Wide angle lens adapter coming, too.

Here's a link to the 5MB Fall Catalog:

http://www.goprocamera.com/ftp/GoPro_Catalog_Fall_07.pdf

You can reach us at support@goprocamera.com

Our site is http://www.goprocamera.com and we're 100% committed to great service and developing the best performing miniature digital cameras for sports...with a big amount of effort on motorsports. That race card video...that 's our R&D rig...committed.

Thanks all...stoked! clap.gif -- GoPro

Hi guys!

GoPro Support here...want to answer some questions and let you know we are the real deal.

The CNET review is a very poor excuse for a review...done inside with office lighting and a fish tank (c'mon!) prior to our official product release with a pre-production sample. We've made so many updates since that camera they reviewed it's literally not even the same camera. They failed to mention their sample was a pre-production demo they got at a pre-launch trade show.

Our camera shoots 30 frames per second for 56 minutes when you use a 2GB SD card. Adjusted resolution is 513X384 as we tweaked the settings for maximum smoothness. Our site will be updated with that info shortly.

Check out this quality and you decide if it's worth $139.99 and supreme convenience lurker.gif

Race car testing

Enduro testing:

2 AAA NiMH rechargeable batteries will last for 2hrs of video recording.

As you can see from the motorcycle video above our camera adapts to light/dark lighting extremely well (and fast).

You can also appreciate how good the colors are and, ahem..., how sharp the image is!

We have a selectable special high vibration sound setting so you can still capture good sound on high vibration gear like motorcycles. Again, listen to the sound in the Enduro video...with the camera mounted in the rear wheel well...! Awesome.

The entire unit with strap and batteries weight 4.5oz. Use 3M VHB 4991 double stick rubber tape (no residue) to mount it ANYWHERE...just remove the strap and your set. It's so light there is zero shake and you can get really creative with it. Will strap to pegs, etc...super versatile.

November 1 we're releasing a line of attachment accessories you can use to quick-release mount your camera on your helmet, moto, car, etc. Wide angle lens adapter coming, too.

Here's a link to the 5MB Fall Catalog:

http://www.goprocamera.com/ftp/GoPro_Catalog_Fall_07.pdf

You can reach us at support@goprocamera.com

Our site is http://www.goprocamera.com and we're 100% committed to great service and developing the best performing miniature digital cameras for sports...with a big amount of effort on motorsports. That race card video...that 's our R&D rig...committed.

Thanks all...stoked! clap.gif -- GoPro

Sorry, I still don't get it--not for $140. Best Buy has 13 digi cams between $100 and $149, most of which have 3X optical zoom, autofocus, record movies at 640x480 @ 30FPS, and some even have *DIGITAL IMAGE STABILIZATION* and most all are 6 megapixels or higher. Weatherproof? Buy a plastic enclosure.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?...sc=abcat0400000

Bobby,

IMHO you a putting the "Digital Hero" into a completely wrong category.

It is not intended to be a compact digital still camera.

It's a very compact digital video recorder that's also pretty rugged and at least water resistant.

Perfect for capturing action footage during outdoor sports.

--

Mikko

Sorry, but you'll never be next to me and fiddling with the zoom on your camera......this camera is looking like it's just "Set it and forget it....", and I like that.

Pat

Bobby,

IMHO you a putting the "Digital Hero" into a completely wrong category.

It is not intended to be a compact digital still camera.

It's a very compact digital video recorder that's also pretty rugged and at least water resistant.

Perfect for capturing action footage during outdoor sports.

--

Mikko

Mikko, I hear ya, but there are just too many full-featured digicams out there for the same or less money to spend $140 on a circuit board inside a plastic case, which is all you're getting. Take a look at the link below--$50 less, 5 megapixels, waterproof, even has a color LCD screen so you can frame the shot (unlike the "Hero"). This is just a sample--but indicative of other stuff out there. Personally I wouldn't buy any of these, but if I DID want something basically disposable that I could strap in my wheel well or canoe paddle, it would be the cheaper one! thumbsup.gif

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5839677

Dick_at_Lake_Tahoe_NV

Looks like a great little "video camera" for the price--so I just ordered one. I would have never discovered it so soon if not for this BMW site. clap.gif

Dick,

Don't be too freaked out about that. They're different products. The Digital Hero is different from the Digital Hero3. The MSRP is indeed $79.

However, $139 is a little bit pricey when you can find them for $130 shipped.

That camera you are linking to is 3X larger than the Digital HERO 3 and weighs about 2.5x as much. That makes mounting more difficult and the added weight creates shake/vibration issues.

Additionally, that camera maxes out at 20 frames per second in best resolution mode which looks tic-tic-tic-tic-tic when watching.

Additionally, that camera will not record good sound mounted on a motorcycle because the sound recording is not tuned for high vibration sports like motorsports. The Digital HERO 3 has a two stage sound recording option that results in terrific sound when mounted on a motorcycle. That other camera will suffer from mechanical vibration overloading the microphone.

That other camera does not have a battery compartment designed for motorsports vibration levels and you run the risk of the batteries vibrating loose at certain RPM / harmonic levels. The Digital HERO 3 has a battery box specifically designed for motorsports to address this issue.

The Digital HERO 3 can be mounted inverted for tricky angles and there is a setting on the camera which will flip the video at the time of saving so you don't have to do it later on the computer.

The Digital HERO 3 can shoot a photo automatically every 5 seconds for over 2hrs (1400+ photos) in case you want interesting angles for photos rather than video, as an option.

We know all of the above is true about the other camera (and others like it) because we're a camera company and we've tested almost every camera you can think of as we continue our research to make the best possible miniature cameras for sports (and motorsports). Don't get me wrong...it's a good tourist or snorkel camera...but a motorsports camera it is not.

Our cameras can take a digger at 60MPH onto concrete and still work fine. I won't comment on what happened to that other camera when we tried it in testing. ooo.gif

Thanks all!!! GoPro clap.gif

That camera you are linking to is 3X larger than the Digital HERO 3 and weighs about 2.5x as much. That makes mounting more difficult and the added weight creates shake/vibration issues.

Additionally, that camera maxes out at 20 frames per second in best resolution mode which looks tic-tic-tic-tic-tic when watching.

Additionally, that camera will not record good sound mounted on a motorcycle because the sound recording is not tuned for high vibration sports like motorsports. The Digital HERO 3 has a two stage sound recording option that results in terrific sound when mounted on a motorcycle. That other camera will suffer from mechanical vibration overloading the microphone.

That other camera does not have a battery compartment designed for motorsports vibration levels and you run the risk of the batteries vibrating loose at certain RPM / harmonic levels. The Digital HERO 3 has a battery box specifically designed for motorsports to address this issue.

The Digital HERO 3 can be mounted inverted for tricky angles and there is a setting on the camera which will flip the video at the time of saving so you don't have to do it later on the computer.

The Digital HERO 3 can shoot a photo automatically every 5 seconds for over 2hrs (1400+ photos) in case you want interesting angles for photos rather than video, as an option.

We know all of the above is true about the other camera (and others like it) because we're a camera company and we've tested almost every camera you can think of as we continue our research to make the best possible miniature cameras for sports (and motorsports). Don't get me wrong...it's a good tourist or snorkel camera...but a motorsports camera it is not.

Our cameras can take a digger at 60MPH onto concrete and still work fine. I won't comment on what happened to that other camera when we tried it in testing. ooo.gif

Thanks all!!! GoPro clap.gif

Great...but what good are all those "neat features" if the pictures suck?

We love forums...always at least one spirited participant to keep it interesting! wink.gif

If you can find something that sucks about these videos you see here then, ok. But with tens of thousands of stoked customers so far...I'd say...they're stoked!:

http://gopro.vsocial.com

or these photos:

whip_Ryan.jpg

PICT0001.JPG

We're going to gracefully bow out of further back and forth unless someone's got specific questions 'cause we don't want to get a tit for tat going on your otherwise nice happy happy forum. Positivity rules...negativity no es bueno.

We saw a lot of traffic coming from this forum to our site and we thought we'd pop in to say hi and answer questions. If positive people want any more info or advice on setting up there cameras...even another camera...we're super stoked to talk to you at support@goprocamera.com or even on this forum if you've got some constructive comments.

Thanks everyone...we really appreciate the opportunity to communicate with you! We're a little company working hard to make the best miniature digital cameras for sports (and mototrsports)! If you want to duct tape a normal digital camera onto your moto...well...that's cool, too! thumbsup.gif Whatever gets you rad footage is a good thing.

Again our catalog is at http://www.goprocamera.com/catalog.pdf (products available NOV 1)and our website is http://www.goprocamera.com (current products available) we're here if you need us!

Hi5 -- clap.gif GoPro

I do have the same specific questions I already asked earlier,

- What's the largest SD card size the camera supports?

- How about SDHC cards, are those suported?

If you can find something that sucks about these videos you see here then, ok. But with tens of thousands of stoked customers so far...I'd say...they're stoked!:

What about THESE videos--posted by users of your cam? They are fuzzy, somewhat jerky, about what you would expect from a toy video cam. If this is the quality vids your customers enjoy, then I am glad they are happy. tongue.gif

You can't judge the quality of a video camera by the fuzziness in a YouTube posting. That's called downsampling and severe compression.

I have some questions too. I think it is totally cool that a company would pay attention to prospective customers by seeing web traffic, join the BB and entertain questions...

~ Is the Hero3 made in USA?

~ The wide-angle lens accessory is a terrific feature - good call on that!

While riding the Dragon earlier this year, I got a chance to talk with the proprietor of KillBoy.com and get a tour of his camera bike. He was using a Sony camcorder with video input to connect multiple pencil cam's, one of which was mounted on a tripod overlooking his left shoulder complete with PTZ base that was controlled from a mini-joystick mounted to the right side of the handlebar as a thumb control.

I'd like to see the Hero video unit with pen-cam plug(s) and water-resistant optional pen-cam(s).

It would be even better if the system was Blue-tooth (wireless) and could support multiple pen-cams with a built-in multiplexer (easier to keep water-tight)! Then you could have one on your helmet, out front, looking back and maybe another focused back at your face for that 'Reality Show' look! lurker.gif

I'd like to see the Hero video unit with pen-cam plug(s) and water-resistant optional pen-cam(s).

It would be even better if the system was Blue-tooth (wireless) and could support multiple pen-cams with a built-in multiplexer (easier to keep water-tight)! Then you could have one on your helmet, out front, looking back and maybe another focused back at your face for that 'Reality Show' look! lurker.gif

Great ideas..I'm sure they'll get right on it. cool.gif

Hi FLyingFinn,

Sorry I missed your question! 2GB SD card is the max size. This will get you 56 minutes of continuous video.

It won't work with SDHC cards, sorry!

Normal write speed cards are fine...$15 for a 2GB SD SanDisk on Amazon.com.

That's a legitimate comment about the YouTube video. This customer bought our older camera that had our old firmware settings. That is why the sound is not good on this video AND why the video is not as smooth as our current videos.

As a note about our customer service, this customer emailed us this video and was STOKED about it. We emailed him back saying that it looked like he was using our OLD camera model and when he told us he'd recently bought it we traded out our new camera with him for his at no charge to him.

Now he is REALLY STOKED! I am sure he wouldn't mind you contacting him through his YouTube account to confirm this. He's really happy with his camera...straps it to his front slider peg.

SO just to confirm, while his video on YouTube is cool...it was shot with our OLD camera.

Additionally, in order to post a video to YouTube it needs to be under 100MB which means you have to edit and compress your video. Some people don't choose good compression settings when doing the final "save" of their edited video on their computer. So what you see on the web from ANY digital camera is not indicative of the true performance of that camera.

Our videos look terrific on the 46" 1080p flat screens we use at trade shows. People cannot believe it...happy, happy! thumbsup.gif

If you are reading this and you have one of our older cameras with our older firmare (you won't have a HI/LO sound setting in your SET menu of choices) please email us at support@goprocamera.com and we'll update your firmware for free...we want you to have the best! clap.gif

Thanks all, and good point about the YouTube video, Bob. It's good for everyone to know about video compression affecting what you see on the web. -- GoPro lurker.gif

Hi RiceToy!

We're actually working on a lot of what you're talking about!

The good news is that if you want it all RIGHT NOW you can essentially get it by running a couple of our cameras at once and then editing it together later.

For example, this quadruple angle shot was done on our KTM 525 enduro during vibration testing. We actually shot this with 2 cameras and moved them around and edited it together to look like 4 cameras...so you CAN fake the perception of multiple cameras...but of course it is easier to run 2 cameras at once during a ride and then focus on the ride...not moving cameras around.

Here's the "on the handle bars looking back at you" view you were asking for:

To run 2 Digital HERO 3 cameras in unison will cost you $280 total (or $140 for just one camera). That's what one good bullet camera lens costs...just for the single lens (not even the camera let alone the hassle of finding where to mount the camcorder).

So you can see why we're focused on making low cost, self contained wireless miniature digital cameras. Convenience at an affordable price = you will use it a lot and get rad footage.

Thank all...we're here to surpass expectations. Thanks your interest and cannot wait to see some sweet videos! -- GoPro

thumbsup.gif

PS - we recommend http://vsocial.com instead of YouTube for sharing videos...same service but quality is WAAAAY better on vSocial.com - have fun!

I'm going to play devil's advocate here for a moment.

How is that any better, or more interesting, than the Digital Hero?? Referring back to your earlier list:

- It doesn't have zoom

- doesn't have auto-focus

- No mention of image stabilizer

- There's no screen to view anything, not even a viewfinder!

- This doesn't even appear to take still photos

- It costs about 3X more than the Hero.

--

Mikko

I'm going to play devil's advocate here for a moment.

How is that any better, or more interesting, than the Digital Hero?? Referring back to your earlier list:

- It doesn't have zoom

- doesn't have auto-focus

- No mention of image stabilizer

- There's no screen to view anything, not even a viewfinder!

- This doesn't even appear to take still photos

- It costs about 3X more than the Hero.

--

Mikko

Good question, not much mention of anything, is there--think they just started the website. If it *doesn't* have all those things you mentioned, then it is nothing more than a "Digital Hero" re-packaged in a trick anodized aluminum case. But they alude to some novel-sounding technology, such as this: "Framing is accomplished utilizing twin lasers that reference what the camera sees, insuring VholdR captures what you intend.". If I read this right, it enables you to focus on a subject without looking thru a viewfinder...or not? So I'm waiting to see what else materializes--can't imagine they could sell it for $350 if it didn't have some pretty neat features. Coming to stores this fall. wave.gif

Hi All,

We do have image stabilization built into the camera. We have excellent sound and we have ripping video...all for $139.99. In addition, you can shoot 3MP photos automatically (hands free) every 5 seconds until the batteries die (over 2hrs)...cool shots with the camera mounted in interesting locations on your bike, for example.

In addition, the Digital HERO 3 is waterproof to 100' and protected in a a polycarbonate mini housing. 1 year warranty with top flight service.

And just in case you're wondering how it performs at speed, for example...race pace...here you go. This was shot on our company R&D race car...proof is in the footage:

Thanks all! You can reach us directly at support@goprocamera.com or through this forum...we're here to help (and stoke)!! thumbsup.gif GoPro wave.gif

Archived