IGNORED

07 R12ST Computer Range Display

bmurphypdx

My pillion and my butt are usually ready to hop off the bike before I have to think about how much fuel I have left, so the Range display on my computer is rarely critical. But just to see what my range actually is compared to the display I left the house tonight with a spare container of gas and drove until the engine died. Result was that I drove an additional 27 miles after Range showed 0. My actual range on the bike with the tank topped off seems to be about 215 miles. Yeah, I know about the trip odometer but sometimes I forget so the computer comes in handy. Your mileage may vary . . .

My pillion and my butt are usually ready to hop off the bike before I have to think about how much fuel I have left, so the Range display on my computer is rarely critical. But just to see what my range actually is compared to the display I left the house tonight with a spare container of gas and drove until the engine died. Result was that I drove an additional 27 miles after Range showed 0. My actual range on the bike with the tank topped off seems to be about 215 miles. Yeah, I know about the trip odometer but sometimes I forget so the computer comes in handy. Your mileage may vary . . .
Wow, I realize that we're at a higher (4500ft) altitude, but that does seem a bit low. I'm guessing we were running on fumes, but last weekend for our N. Utah ride, I got 261 miles on the tank before filling up again (and it wasn't even topped up as much as I can when I'm patient). We were riding 2-up (no real heavy luggage though, just a half-full topcase) and weren't exactly going ultra-slow through the canyons. Huh. I guess my mileage does indeed vary. I can't remember how much gas I fit in the tank upon filling it up, but it was pretty close to 5.5 gallons. I think I've fit nearly 6 in there before though.

Are you filling the tank while on the sidestand or centerstand? I found that i fit quite a bit more on the centerstand.

Oh, and my tank is off too. Saturday we went about 20 miles after the reading read 0 as well.

I run out of gas on my ST at 10 miles or less after the countdown goes to zero. At that point I have put 6.1 gallons in it, filled to the brim, 5.5 to the bottom of the filler neck. That was also after 309 miles. 215 on a tank seems sort of low. After the 7.X update, the mileage has dropped somewhat, but is still in the upper 200's, near 300 for range.

Frank

That does sounds low. I'm always getting 300+ mile range on the display after a fill-up and the mileage calculation consistently matches the amount of fuel I put in.

I haven't run it dry yet.

Thanks for the info. I've been filling while on the sidestand and I am not able to put in as many gallons as stated above - next fill-up I will try the centerstand. My ultimate range has not been an issue because everywhere I've traveled has had plenty of fueling opportunities. I will be headed to northern Canada in the spring so I will want to maximize my range then. For now, my question was just how much reserve I had after the 0 Range indication. I don't intend to take it to the limit but it's nice to know I have 25 miles or so after 0.

OK some FYI. Just filled up while on the centerstand. No difference. I had filled up yesterday while on the sidestand. Drove straight home and this morning drove straight back, about 15 miles round trip. On the centerstand this morning, it would only take about a quarter of a gallon, probably about the amount of fuel I burned on the trip home and back. My range reads 195 plus I get about 25 miles after range goes to zero, giving me a total range of 220 miles. Now I will have to see how far I actually get on this tank with the trip odometer. I see the spec sheet for this bike says it has a 5.5 gallon tank including reserve. My mpg readout shows about 41 mpg based on a lot of recent city driving - that's consistent with the range readout.

My ST reads 0 miles left at around 275. I usually fill up before that, but someday i'm going to see how far it will go. after 265 miles i can only get about 4.6 gal in it so i think i could probably go to about 330 before it dies.

Brian

Update and data for those who might be interested - Filled the tank today per my normal routine - to the bottom of the filler tube. Then squeezed in what I could bit by bit - it took another entire gallon! Riding at what should produce moderately good mileage, I was surprised to see the displayed range continue to increase over the next 38 miles. I expect it to increase for the first several minutes after filling up but the displayed "remaining" range just kept increasing the further I drove. Was reading a 243 mile range AFTER I'd driven 38 miles. 248 plus 38 plus the 25 I get after the range goes to 0 gives a total range of 311 miles. This seems more in line with the posts above. I will post one more time after I empty this tank to see if the indicated fuel mileage is about equal to the real mileage (I zeroed out the computer at the fill-up). Bottom line - looks like the Range is calculated based on a running average of fuel consumption since the fill-up. Seems also like the computer recognizes the "extra" fuel I put in the tank. BTW, I would not top off the tank in hot weather unless I was driving some distance immediately thereafter - the extra fuel I put in no doubt was filling the "expansion area" in the tank to allow for the fuel to expand as it gets hot in the Sun.

Archived