IGNORED

Marty and Bob Ride the Cathedral Valley Loop

Bob Palin

I posted about Marty F and I crossing Sulphur Creek a few days ago, from there we headed down the pavement to the Caineville Wash.

The pretty version is on my web site

The Google Earth picture location file is also on my web site (This link opens Google Earth - if you have it - and displays little icons representing the pictures where they were taken, you can click on the icons to see the full image - it sometimes takes a couple of seconds to load the bigger images)

Less than a mile down the Cainville Wash road we came across this rock fall, but that was easy stuff for us to get round as Marty demonstrates.

img_0029.jpg

Marty had fun on the rocks, there aren't too many like this in Florida.

img_0033.jpg

img_0035.jpg

img_0036.jpg

He didn't have much trouble with the occasional muddy wash crossing either.

img_0039.jpg

We soon made it out the temples, the Temple Of The Moon had been quite wet, the wash on this side of it doesn't usually show any signs of use.

img_0042.jpg

The mud had formed pretty patterns where the wash ran off.

img_0043.jpg

The Glass Mountain, Temple of the Sun and Temple of the Moon in the distance

img_0046.jpg

Close up of the Glass Mountain.

img_0048.jpg

The road to the temples had quite a lot of water in it in places.

img_0052.jpg

Temple Of The Sun with the puddle in front of it.

img_0054.jpg

We continued on to Cathedral Valley proper.

img_0058.jpg

Note the volcanic dike in the foreground, it stretches miles across this area.

img_0059.jpg

Marty on the road

img_0064.jpg

Killer on the road, squirming like a toad...

img_0067.jpg

After lunch at the campground and the obligatory visit to the Serengeti viewpoint we headed higher, this is from the ridge just to the south of Round Lake. The shadows constantly changed as the clouds rolled over the landscape, and dumped showers on us every so often too.

img_0071.jpg

Round Lake - I have never seen it this full before, there has been a lot of rain lately.

img_0072.jpg

All sorts of flowers had sprung up since I was last there a month ago

img_0073.jpg

Marty really seemed to enjoy the lake.

img_0084.jpg

He grabbed the camera and took a Palin Shot - he has a lot to learn...

img_0085.jpg

Windy Ridge - it was absolutely calm this day despite the storm clouds.

img_0087.jpg

Marty is a newish member here (ScooterBrained) from Florida who flew to Montana to buy his KLX250 and ride it home sampling the mountains as he went. He called me out of the blue one day from the Robber's Roost and asked me to show him the sites. He should be almost home by now.

skinny_tom (aka boney)
Marty is a newish member here (ScooterBrained) from Florida who flew to Montana to buy his KLX250 and ride it home sampling the mountains as he went. He called me out of the blue one day from the Robber's Roost and asked me to show him the sites. He should be almost home by now.

He's riding a KLX250 to Florida?

He's riding a KLX250 to Florida?

That's pretty much what I thought when he asked if I wanted to go. grin.gif I'm sure it's a heck of a trip though.

He's been lurking here several years, I hope he'll do a ride tale about this trip when he returns.

We've done several GS rides together, and when his bumblebee is apart he rides his RT, and no one knows the difference.

Man I have got to hit the lottery, buy a dirt bike, get more vacation time and I will when I hit the lottery and go riding with you up there. Beautiful pics as always.

He's been lurking here several years, I hope he'll do a ride tale about this trip when he returns.
I hope so too, he lost his first camera in the Great Montana River Disaster but bought a couple of instant cameras along the way. I lent him my Canon S70 for the trip home but now remember it is set to take RAW images so he may need some help from somebody there with a Canon digital camera. I can of course process them when he sends the camera back to me but I'm going to be on the road for a while at the UnRally. Anybody from Florida who could hook up with him and bring the S70 to the UnRally? I'll have my computer and could make a CD of the pictures there.
Scooterbrained

I made it home last night or this morning I should say at 3 in the am. Left Lake Lureen State Park just northwest of Tuscaloosa at odometer reading 5737. Did mostly (as with rest of trip) small State Roads and County Roads and got home at 6335 miles. Ya'll do the math!

Bob thanks so much for the Grand Tour! Truly the Grand Highlight of my trip. I have already stopped at a Wal-Mart once to download photos on a couple of CD's because camera was full. 296 pics so I must be snap happy and almost 200 more already. Will get them on CD next day or so. Professor Palin is quite the Geologist, Paleontologist, photographer, host and rider. I am amazed how on the first day he could toss that big heavy pig (KLR 650) around the bottom of the Utah Ocean Floor! 140 mile ride Saturday and 115 miles on Sunday. I can not describe the scenery or the blast that I had. Let me know hos you want to handle returning the camera. THANKS BOB!

Marty

Thanks also for the ride tales you have posted!

While in Cortez CO a guy backed into the motorcycle and broke the water pump housing. Big delay but the local Kaw Shop removed one from a brand new bike to get me underway towards Durango, $$$$ Highway and onto Pikes Peak. Great place to do business with. Mesa Verde Motorsports. 2120 S. Broadway, Cortez, CO. Thanks Mr. Dave, Jimmy, Chris and another Dave!

Alright Marty, way to go, you're the man. thumbsup.gif Look forward to hearing more details about this one.

I may have a plan for the camera, I'll contact Bob soon.

Is that the Cathedral Valley loop you were telling me about?
Exactly, there are several things on the loop that I didn't take pictures of. It probably won't be as wet in September.
Is that the Cathedral Valley loop you were telling me about?
Exactly, there are several things on the loop that I didn't take pictures of. It probably won't be as wet in September.

After the s*#t I've been through.....I'm ready.......the more rain the better.

thumbsup.gif

Whip

Scooterbrained

Thanks Bill! Whatever you and Bob work out will be fine with me. I will be happy to bring it to you or whatever the logistics may be.

It was a fantastic trip and the litle KIWI really impressed me. Besides 2 oil changes, in over 6000 miles I never added a drop of oil. For the type trip that it was, the only time I yearned for the RT was leaving Colorado Springs as headed to Dodge City fighting about a 20 plus mile per hour head wind. Stopped 6 times to wet down clothing cause of heat. Church, gas station, school, gas station, a man's house where I saw him pulling into driveway after several miles of sans swamp cooler. Howdy sir, could I please use your water hydrant to wet my clothes down? Left CO Springs this morning headed to Dodge City. He had a tall cool one in his hand and yelled, "Mamma bring the hose, this man needs cooling down!" His son came out with a said tall cool one in hand, and his wife came around the back side of the house with hose in tow and a short cool one in hand! Had to stay long enough to tell about trip as they were amazed and probably did not get many folks to talk to at their location in middle of nowhere!

Marty

PS Let me know when you and Ken have a hankering for chasing a GPS coordinate on the GS's. I have a very good one and a rel pleaser for GS Geocache plants. You, however, may have already been there.

That sounds good. Can you make the "Florida Lunch" today, noon at Outback Crabshack, 13/six mile creek, you know where it is, just down from where I ran into you that day.

If you can, bring the camera, we'll get it back to Bob one way or another. If not maybe we can hook up this afternoon somewhere. six55-zero36five

Archived