General question on California registration

aal3

There's a 1999 bike I'm interested in that's out of state; I'm in California. It has less than 5,400 miles. I recall that with Harley Davidson, they had 49 state models and California models, and in order to bring in a used non California model bike and by-pass having to have it smogged, the bike had to have more than 7,500 miles. Does anyone know if a 1999 bike with less than 7,500 miles could be brought in and registered without any problem? (The bike has a staintune exhaust.) Thanks.

You should check http://www.dmv.ca.gov to be sure, but my understanding is that unless it's a 50-state model, you're out of luck. And you may even have to prove it's a 50-stater.

Why not go pick it up and choose a 2100-mile route home? grin.gif

Specifically, its a 1999 r1100s. I have emailed the seller to see if he can check the emissions label, but haven't heard back yet. In the meantime, anyone know if the r1100's (1999) were 50 state? I would put more than enough miles on the bike if I did ride it back, but that's a long trip on a sport bike!

I know it sounds silly (almost as silly as the law itself, but not quite), but if the bike has a cable-operated speedometer you could always use a drill motor or Dremel run run up a few k more miles.

So here's another question. Say I'm not yet a resident of California but planning on moving there, and already own '49-state' vehicles with less than 7,500 miles. In this case I clearly wasn't trying to avoid any California regulations as I didn't even live in California when I bought the vehicles. Am I still prohibited from registering them in California, meaning I actually must dispose of them them before moving into the state?

Not sure where you guys are getting your information from but back in 2003 I moved from Washington State to California with my 2002 GSXR 600 (Non-CA model), yes I do know it was a NON-CA model because I know the first owner and he bought if from a bike shop in Washington. Went down to DMV here in Sacramento, had it inspected just like I had to do with my 4Runner, took the paper work inside and got it registered.

Are you a member of AAA? If so, phone them for your answer and in any case do your registration there, not at a DMV office.

I've never heard of emissions testing for motorcycles in Calif. - I don't think that the subject will even come up, but you will have to pay sales tax and reg. fees.

I do not know if this model is a CA legal one or not but I can tell you with 100% certainty if it is not then you are prohibited from importing it to CA if you are a current CA resident, period. The law goes so far as to say your plan to ride it home (and therefore have more than the 7500 miles minimum) is also illegal as it must have over 7500 miles when you take delivery.....the best advice I can give you is to confirm to your utmost satisfaction that the bike is a CA compliant model before buying it....lots of folks out there have "ideas" about how to get around this and some undoubtedly have success but if you are caught by the DMV trying to register this bike they will flag you in their computer and that will be the end of it, you will never be able to register it....it doesn't even matter that the bike is a 99 model....the mileage is the only factor....

This does not apply to a non-CA resident importing a bike as they were not subject to CA law at the time of the purchase....if you do decide to go ahead with it be sure you have a back up plan to sell it....I have seen this numerous times and know of two riders who are currently "stuck" in the limbo of owning a bike they cannot register...in my opinion it just isn't worth the trouble unless it is some real amazing rare bike you just cannot find anywhere else....

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffvr29.htm

Deadboy, thanks for the info and advice. For sure I wouldn't want to be stuck with a bike I couldn't register. I came across someone that had that problem also with a custom built v-twin he bought off ebay. The builder finally took it back, but only after a big hassle. The one bike I bought off ebay had a 1967 engine, so it was exempt. Also, as regards smog testing, I don't think CA actually tests, but I think they do look at the emissions sticker on the bike.

Also, the other thing I'm not sure about is whether the aftermarket exhaust on the bike would be something the DMV would check, assuming a stock bike would be ok.

I registered my '06 R1200RT in California in May. Make an appointment at the DMV. It helps.

Have the appropriate paperwork, title, etc. Read the info on the DMV site. It will get you prepared.

The VIN on the motor is probably under the right cylinder. It took us 15 minutes to find it.

The 06 is a 50 state legal model...not sure if they all were in 99.

Have never heard of anyone having a problem with an aftermarket pipe but I would check with the DMV as the stock pipe does have an EPA stamp that the staintune will not...

They were 50-state models in 1999 as well. The issue isn't emissions legality, it's taxation. Bend over. Heeeeere's Arnold!

Exactly Fernando (taxation). When I moved here 18 years ago Ca. was fleecing people to the tune of $600-$900 per friggin vehicle to bring them into the state claiming emissions bullshit. Someone got pissed off enough to get an attorney involved and filed a class action lawsuit against the state of Ca. and WON. The state had to refund Millions of dollars to people that moved into the state that paid this fee. If it has a cat converter on it it is legal. I am sure you can figure out how to get 7500 miles on the bike. If any vehicle brought into the state has less than 7500 miles on it it is considered a new vehicle and taxed accordingly.

The state had to refund Millions of dollars to people that moved into the state that paid this fee.
Yep, with interest! I was on the receiving end of rebates for two vehicles that I had brought in and the very rare win against the state was nice... better than the money even.

Lucky you Smiller. My wife was on the receiving end of the rebate but I did not have my paperwork after living here for 6-8 years so the state got to keep my investment.

Archived