IGNORED

Riding in an oven...Nashville

TommyboyinNC

TommyboyinNC

Rode south yesterday from Detroit to Nashville and watched the thermometer rise as each mile passed. Started out at a beautiful 70 degrees at 7:00 am, saw tripple digits in Louisville by noon and when I arrived in downtown Nashville it was a sweltering 112 degrees.

I have never been so hot on a bike. I shed the protective gear early on and hid behind the windscreen for the last 100 miles or so.

Ride safe.

I do love summer.

T

russell_bynum
Rode south yesterday from Detroit to Nashville and watched the thermometer rise as each mile passed. Started out at a beautiful 70 degrees at 7:00 am, saw tripple digits in Louisville by noon and when I arrived in downtown Nashville it was a sweltering 112 degrees.

I have never been so hot on a bike. I shed the protective gear early on and hid behind the windscreen for the last 100 miles or so.

Ride safe.

I do love summer.

T

You're usually worse off in that kind of heat if you shed your gear. With your skin exposed, you dehydrate VERY quickly, and that's bad news.

This is less effective out where you are where you've got high humidity, but I really like evaporative cooling. You can use one of those fancy expensive vests that you soak in water, or if you don't have one of those, you can just hose yourself off at the gas station. Buy a cheap sweatshirt from walmart and get it totally soaked. Put it on under your jacket, open the vents in the jacket, and go.

Hydration is critical. Stopping every hour to guzzle a gatorade isn't really the best way to go...it works much better if you're constantly sipping water all day.

And don't forget electrolytes. You lose them when you sweat. Even if you replace the water, without those electrolytes, your body can't function. You can do something like Gatorade, but that's got lots of calories. You can get salt and potassium tablets and just take them at rest stops. There's a few other options as well.

I've also had good luck filling the pockets of my Aerostich with ice from the gas station.

We see temps like that fairly regularly in the summer out here in the desert. I don't enjoy riding in that at all, but with proper preparation, it isn't that bad.

As Russell said, hydration is a key.

IMO, Gatorade has too much sodium and should be diluted at least 50/50 w/H2O.

There are other sources for the hydration that aren't as loaded as Gatorade. Powerade, another commercial product is a better mix, again IMO.

Water is about the best. Avoiding caffeine is another plus.

As he said, shedding gear is worse because it allows you to have direct sun on the skin and increases dehydration through evaporation, and promotes sunburn.

Then there's the downside of no protective gear.

Soaking a vest, shirt, sweatshirt, bandana, etc... can reduce fluid loss through evaporation and help keep core temperature lower.

If you don't have a Camelback, or something similar, consider getting one. I use a drinking tube that has various caps to fit different bottles. Available for an outrageous price from Aerostitch Riders Warehouse (and worth every penny thumbsup.gif if you're industrious make your own), but I don't have to deal with the whole Camelback array of gear to drink while riding.

I ride a lot in the heat.

If you are going to be on the road for long periods of time take it easy.

Don't push it, allow for many extra stops.

If you are focusing on the heat, and not the ride, you're too hot and need a break.

Ride early in the day.

If you can't avoid the exposure during the worst part of the day slow down and arrive safely and hydrated. Better to take longer and stay healthy, alert, and on top of your game.

Best wishes for a safe trip.

TommyboyinNC

Great information. Thanks for all of the advice.

Off to Souther SC in the morning and it will be another hot one.

T

+1 on what Russell & Tallman said.

Living in Fl. in July & August is brutal!

Just yesterday afternoon, I took a relatively short ride to the Ranger Station just short of Lake City, only about 60 miles from work. It was hot, but I did OK.

On the way home, I needed to stop for gas, but before that, I was starting to feel a bit wobbly. Reflexes weren't right, & I knew I needed hydration & sugar. After passing 2 Citgo stations, I stopped at an Exxon, filled up, & took a break for a Poweraid & a Reece's cup. Within 5 minutes, I was ready for the 1 hour ride home, despite the 100 degree heat on the highway.

What did I learn? Two things.

1) Don't forget you're ear plugs!

2) If you're leaving town, & the temp is above 90, & you're going more than 50 miles, wear your Camelbak.

Even with the break, I was toast when I got home. Same thing today. Although I didn't have the extended range of ride, I had many stops to make, & I was quite parched when I got home.

Always make sure you are properly hydrated when you're riding in the heat. It's amazing how fast your responses deteriorate when you're over-heated.

lawnchairboy

well said tallman,

I have treated more than a few heat casualties who said " I have been drinking gatorade all day".. definitely dilute it at least 50/50 with water, it is too much NOT water in its fully concentrated state.

+1 on the gatorade dilution and +1 on wearing your gear.

I was amazed that the cooling vest my wife got me works as well as it does here. As long as you're moving it works pretty well and is comfortable. Wearing that, and one of those cooling, gel filled bandana things around my neck makes riding in 100+ degrees not so bad. I bet it would be darn near pleasant if the humidity were 60 or so points lower.

Last weekend had the 600 mile stuff done on my spanky new R1200RT. Had to put on some miles down through NW Missouri outside of Kansas City. Nice ride down the Missouri river valley. My shiny new thermometer on the BC said 104 degrees. The dealer warned me it might read a bit low.

I just could'nt stop riding but it was like riding down a furnace duct. The humidity in the river valley steamed me like Larry the Lobster. I think I made my helmet funky. And I really picked the wrong day to experiment with silk underwear for "increased rider comfort." At least I found out how those plastic bags you cook turkeys in work. Always wondered about that.

Anybody know how to un-funk a helmet? Man I love that bike.

But John, aren't your cavalry boots full of ice?

wink.gifgrin.gif

Can't imagine how hot the vests can make it. dopeslap.gif

I have in the pass, walked into the cooler of a convenience

store, and just sat to cool off. I would not recommend this out of uniform. thumbsup.gif Eatting a donut of course. lmao.gif

It is the hottest it has been here in BNA since 1955.....I tihnk it has been above 99 for two weeks now....it cooled off today and I saw 103 on the temp guage....was in the high 80s on the plateau today.....back off the road a little....my bikes are staying in the garage until it cools off......heard today on NPR that the arctic has less ice than ever.....and more will melt before it starts freezing again.....global warming? What are they talking about?

You can get salt and potassium tablets and just take them at rest stops

Ok, having been searching for an alternative to the sugar in the gatorade, this sounded perfect and I ran out to get some for tommorow's ride. Thanks so much for the idea!!! All I could find were potassium tablets, 99 mg. Is that what you mean? 99 mg seems like a lot. Do you take a whole one?

I have in the pass, walked into the cooler of a convenience

store, and just sat to cool off. I would not recommend this out of uniform. Eatting a donut of course.

For 5 years I ran 7-11's in TX and CO. You bet you I hung out in the cooler in the summers. Never had any LEO's in there with me though. Its just amazing how there's always work to do in the walk-in grin.gif

I've tried all those remedies and it's still too hot, just takes all the fun out of it.

This past week I've been out nearly every night riding for an hour or two, much nicer, and last night it was briefly down to 72, almost chilly. I did see quite a few deer grazing on the roadside though.

If the liner is removable I wash it in the sink using woolite or similar product.

If the helmet liner is not removable I bring the helmet into the shower with me and wash the liner using baby shampoo. Just make sure you rise the liner out well, usually takes 2-3 rinsings. It may take a couple of days for the helmet to completely dry.

I bring the helmet into the shower with me

This explains a lot, my friend... eek.gifwink.gif

Took a spin up to Clarksville on Sat. Rolled into Bloodworth's around 2:00pm. Slabbed it up and took rt. 12 back. I usually ride with helmet visor open and sunglasses. I do not know the temp but I had keep my helmet visor down to stay even close to comfortable.

We finally got some rain last night. I dunno...maybe 1/4 inch but it knocked the dust down a bit and was easier to breath today. Could be worse, we could have humidity.

I hope I'm not hijacking this thread, but I just moved to North Carolina and has been stated earlier, it's hot!!!! Camelbacks are generally the same, but what do you prefer for bike riding and where would you recommend I look?

Bruce

I bring the helmet into the shower with me

This explains a lot, my friend... eek.gifwink.gif

Hey, ATGATT!!! tongue.gif

Archived