IGNORED

UNRally UN"Tech" Session

Ken H.

Some UNRallys have had some sort of a semi-organized tech session, some have not. Which is the whole point of the “UN” part of an UNRally I guess!

This year, if anyone is interested, on Wednesday at +/- 4:30 PM, somewhere near the Riverman’s pavilion building, I thought I might put on demonstration of Hexcode’s new GS-911 diagnostic codes reader for BMW bikes.

If you are not familiar with this device, it allows owners of most models of F, R, & K series BMW bikes (but not the R1100xx except the R1100S) to read their own diagnostic/failure codes from the various systems on the bike, without a trip to the dealer. More info at - www.hexcode.co.za (I have no affiliation, etc.)

I’ll use our bike to intentionally create some engine and ABS fault codes, then show how a person with the GS-911 can read their own fault codes from the bike's computers, clear them, etc.

Thoughts? Interest?

See you in 18 days (not that I’m counting or anything)!

Some UNRallys have had some sort of a semi-organized tech session, some have not. Which is the whole point of the “UN” part of an UNRally I guess!

Most of them have been impromptu tech sessions involving either Shawn's or Mitch's bikes! grin.gif

I just assumed I would be forced to do my own tech session considering how reliable my bike has been the last few times I've left home on it lmao.gif

Anyone want to guess what September's failure will be? grin.gif

Seriously, though........even if it doesn't directly relate to my R1100RT, I would still be very interested in checking that out. thumbsup.gif

I'd like to see it but may not be back in from riding by 4:30...?
I'm trying to leave a bit of space between this and the main dinner that night, but who knows? The time may change. This is an UNRally after all!
I just assumed I would be forced to do my own tech session considering how reliable my bike has been the last few times I've left home on it lmao.gif

Anyone want to guess what September's failure will be? grin.gif

Seriously, though........even if it doesn't directly relate to my R1100RT, I would still be very interested in checking that out. thumbsup.gif

Should I bring a tow rope incase I happen to see you on the way down? grin.gif

I have done all my work on my bikes in the past and would like to continue to do so even tho this one is under warranty.

Very interested!

anything to do with tinkering or gadgets - Gar will be there grin.gif

n

I'll be holding the flashlight for Gary, since this will likely have to be moved until after dinner--IN! grin.gif
Any torque-wrenches involved????

If not, then I'll take a peak!

lmao.gif

Does not look like it involves tire changing so I am in as well. dopeslap.gif

Since Woodie has promised not to pick up a torque wrench and Armando is not changing tires......I'm in.
Hey, I'm real good at "intentionally creating some engine and ABS fault codes" . . . can I help too?? lmao.gif
Since Woodie has promised not to pick up a torque wrench and Armando is not changing tires......I'm in.
Hey, I'm real good at "intentionally creating some engine and ABS fault codes" . . . can I help too?? lmao.gif

Don't you need to go buy a wrench about now??? eek.gif

grin.gif

wave.gif

Don't you need to go buy an alternator belt about now??? eek.gif

grin.gif

wave.gif

grin.gif

wave.gif

Sounds like the topic has been hijacked! cool.gif

grin.gif

wave.gif

tongue.gif

Thththththpppt!!! I put a new one on last week! tongue.gif

But I'm bringing the old gator belt, another new one and a new one for the 1100's to lend, just to be safe! grin.gif

Leslie is looking for lodging in Pampa, TX (14 miles from Amarillo, TX) as I type this, just so we can avoid that Chevron station parking lot in Amarillo on the way to Mike 05's place in Dallas . . . just in case!! eek.gifdopeslap.gif

lmao.gif

Sounds like the topic has been hijacked!
Yeah, contributing to the hijacking my own thread, that's pretty sad...

Well there is enough interest that I will definitely do this. The time and place has yet to be sorted out, but it will be sometime late in the day on Wednesday, somewhere at the Riverman. If there's a common message board I'll put something up. Or just pass the word.

See you there soon!

Paul_Burkett

Perhaps a session on adjusting shocks and helping to set up each others bikes properly. Something we probably all need to do.

how about a session on changing tires and proper torque techniques? lmao.gif And while we are at it, a demo of a spline lube job!!! tongue.gif Maybe this will become the Un-Tech Daze, with West of the river guests!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Perhaps a session on adjusting shocks and helping to set up each others bikes properly. Something we probably all need to do.

I could go for some info on the shock and preload set up. I keep toying with mine and it never seems exactly right.

Ken and all...

I will be changing my front brake pads at some point while in WV, so I guess I'll do that while everyone is standing around watching the spline lube...

Anyone who wants in, let me know!

This will now be Wednesday night AFTER the dinner at +/- 7 PM. That way it won't interfere with later afternoon riding or the dinner.

It will be at the Riverman Greenbrier Cabin. If you were at the pizza Monday night, there. If you're arriving, it's on the blue page map you will get at check in.

If there is any interest, I might also do a short explanation of what CAN-BUS is and why you care. (Or don't!)

Pass the word!

Cheers!

Thanks Ken. thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Now even I understand what a CANBUSS is and what it is not.

I appreciate your ability to impart technical knowledge in everyday language which takes away the mystery.

Thanks again for taking the time. clap.gif

Archived