IGNORED

Riding the Canadian Rockies...posting pics live from the great white North...

eyesurgeon

My family spends time every summer visiting my parents at their lake front “cabin” on Mara Lake in British Columbia-- cabin being in quotes since it's hardly roughing it.

CIMG1683.jpg

The back door puts you right on the lake. Nice setup.

CIMG1681-1.jpg

Me and 2 of 3 kids.

CIMG1724.jpg

As luck would have it, it happens to be within striking distance of some pretty awesome rides, such as Jasper, Banff, and Glacier national parks traversing the Canadian Rockies. Stored inside the garage are various water toys as well as two bikes, a 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan and a Yamaha 350 XT dual sport.

CIMG1682.jpg

CIMG1768.jpg

Needless to say I have managed to fit in some great riding while I've been here and thought I would share some pictures I've taken from the last few days.

This morning I headed out of Sicamous towards Revelstoke and the Rogers Pass. Named after the chief engineer of the Canada Pacific railroad who discovered this narrow pass through the rugged Rocky mountains, it's a spectacular way to view both Revelstoke and Glacier national park on the way to the summit.

This is the TransCanada highway. It's the longest national highway in the world, running 4800 miles from the Atlantic to the Pacific connecting the two extremes of the biggest country in the world. Parts of it are dense urban freeway, but most appears more country highway than busy interstate.

CIMG1739.jpg

Beautiful view along the road.

CIMG1742.jpg

CIMG1741.jpg

CIMG1740.jpg

Lots of snow tunnels cover the railroad lines through the pass to keep the trains running during the avalanche season. This is one of the most active avalanche areas in the world.

CIMG1736.jpg

Lot of beautiful little mountain lakes along the way to the summit.

CIMG1734.jpg

Three Valley gap on Chateau lake. Very picturesque hotel don't you think?

CIMG1737.jpg

CIMG1744.jpg

Lots of snow tunnels for the highway as well. There are artillery mounts along the side of the road and in the winter mortar shells are lobbed onto the surrounding hills to trigger controlled slides in order to prevent avalanches.

CIMG1745.jpg

CIMG1746.jpg

CIMG1747.jpg

CIMG1749.jpg

They don't call it Glacier National Park for nothing. This is in mid-August mind you, but the air is cool. This isn't the Glacier park in Montana by the way, although they both share the same name.

CIMG1751.jpg

CIMG1752.jpg

The summit of Rogers Pass, 4400 feet. Those are glaciers.

CIMG1753.jpg

Saw lots of Harleys on this road, and a few sportbikes. Ratio of 30 to 1 probably.

CIMG1754.jpg

CIMG1755.jpg

CIMG1756.jpg

Spectacular, aren't they?

CIMG1757.jpg

Lots of big trees up here too.

CIMG1758.jpg

Not much traffic for the major road in Canada. Nice.

CIMG1759.jpg

And closer.

CIMG1760.jpg

Seems to stretch on forever.

CIMG1761.jpg

Lots of beatiful rivers along the way. That color is from glacial minerals.

CIMG1764.jpg

CIMG1765.jpg

CIMG1766.jpg

This is maybe my favorite picture along the way. Train passing by a glassy lake while someone fishes in a canoe.

CIMG1782-1.jpg

The Vulcan. A far cry from my BMW, but a very comfortable seat from which to see the Rockies. I really had to adjust my riding style so as to not kill myself. Much less cornering and braking ability than what I am used to. It has hesitaters more than brakes, really. Nontheless a fun bike with gobs of low end torque and an overdrive gear that barely idles the engine at highway speeds.

CIMG1768.jpg

Waterfalls along the road.

CIMG1774.jpg

On the way home I stopped by Mica Dam near Revelstoke.

CIMG1770.jpg

CIMG1776.jpg

Gorgeous vistas.

CIMG1777-1.jpg

CIMG1778.jpg

Lots of interesting bridges along the way, too. This one is entering Revelstoke over the Columbia river.

CIMG1779.jpg

Interesting color.

CIMG1780.jpg

Amazingly, I did this whole ride and got back to the cabin before noon. Riding the Rogers Pass in the Canadian Rockies is an awe-inspiring experience. I've seen a lot of beautiful scenery living where I do in California, but I have to say that the Canadian Rockies are unique in all the world. Do it if you can.

A couple of days ago I went on a ride with my father through the rural farm country around here. Some really beautiful Normal Rockwell type of stuff.

My father, 72 and a retired physician. Has been riding his whole life and is a far better rider than I ever will be.

CIMG1686.jpg

Yours truly.

CIMG1687.jpg

Lots of corn.

CIMG1689.jpg

Love old barns like these.

CIMG1690.jpg

Beautiful.

CIMG1691.jpg

I hope you enjoying looking as much as I enjoyed riding!

Awesome pics! Carrie (nicewife) & I have ridden to Canada 2x, can't wait for trip #3! We crossed the Columbia over that same bridge once.

Francois_Dumas

Marvelous pictures !! Thanks for sharing your brake-less ride wink.gif

Hmmm.. in Europe we would have another subjective for that hotel, mind you tongue.gif The mountains, streams and lakes are truly wonderful though !

I will be visiting BC in November this year..... hope there will be a day or two of good weather to drive/ride into the mountains.....

Francois

Paul Mihalka
I will be visiting BC in November this year..... hope there will be a day or two of good weather to drive/ride into the mountains.....

Francois

Francois, just remember that November in the mountains = winter.

Beautiful pictures of a beautiful part of the world. Been there a few times and hope to get back again.

mY aLLtIME favorite place on this earth..!!

Love - just LOVE - the Canadian Rockies..!

thanks for shaing it with us and thanks for those awesome pix... thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Francois_Dumas

Francois

Francois, just remember that November in the mountains = winter.

I know, unfortunately I have no choice. It's mainly a business trip frown.gif

Archived