IGNORED

ESA on a used 1200RT?

drdave39

After some thinking and research (thanks to all for input on my earlier post) I am now looking at used R1200RTs. The question now is whether to look for an ESA or non-ESA bike (good options in both). I liked the ESA on my test ride, but it adds cost both at purchase and when replacement time comes along. I've had Ohlins on several bikes and loved the overall ride, so I am thinking maybe buy a non-ESA RT, and whne the stock shocks go just put in Ohlins and be done with it. Any thoughts?

Dave

I'm glad I got ESA on my new bike. It also happened that the color I liked had them on it, the reviews were favorable for them and I like neat gadgets.

But if I bought used, I would probably consider non-ESA, then replace the stock shocks to Ohlins when they wear out.

It should be possible ot get a ESA bike, enjoy them until they wear out, then put Ohlins on it and have a BMW dealer remove the ESA functionality from the BC.

It won't hurt to purchase a used bike with ESA unless you are positive you will not spend the money to replace the ESA dampers when they wear out. In that case it makes better sense to find a good deal on a non ESA and order a set of Ohlins for you new (used) bike. thumbsup.gif

There was just a thread that you could get high quality ESA replacement shocks from, I think, Performance Works, is that it? for a very reasonable price.

I bought a used 1500 mi. R1200RT that happened to have ESA.

ESA gave me the choice of hard crappy, "normal" crappy, and mushy crappy at the flick of a switch. The whole bike would shudder over creased/lifted pavement cracks. Within weeks I pulled the shocks off and installed new Ohlins like I had on my 1100RT. As you know from experience, Ohlins actually have real damping to hold the road superbly at any load on any surface. World of difference.

Most R1200RT owners like ESA if they have it. While most aftermarket shocks are better than any stock ESA or non-ESA shock, there are some that preach against the idea. I have it. I like it. It was on the bike when I bought it. I don't know if I would order a new bike with ESA, but I like the idea and it needs refining. If Works Performance has has good aftermarket ESA shock, it will stop the "taste great, less filling" attitude about ESA.

Standard BMW shocks are not rebuildable but there has been rumor that someone is rebuilding the ESA shock. If this is the case I heard they are based outside of the U.S.

I've had Ohlins on several bikes and loved the overall ride, so I am thinking maybe buy a non-ESA RT, and whne the stock shocks go just put in Ohlins and be done with it. Any thoughts?

Yeah, why wait? Since you know already what an improvement the Ohlins makes, I can't see waiting. dopeslap.gif

Archived