New BMW Zumo Navigator now available

EffBee

The new BMW Zumo Navigator has just been released. It features:

Black (not grey) body

Glove-friendly touch screen

Left-hand controls

Select BMW-specific software functions (in addition to the regular software functions)

Built-in BMW Dealer database

A mounting base plate that works with optional, model-specific BMW mounting brackets

A free 3-month subscription to TMC, including the Traffic Receiver at no extra charge

Replaceable lithium-ion rechargeable battery (included) for us off the bike for up to 5 hours

Bluetooth wireless technology for phone communication

Built-in MP3 Player to store your favorite tunes for the road

Compass feature same as the Navigator III

Shock-resistant carrying case

High brightness, sunlight-readable, UV-resistant display

Motorcycle console for trip information, including fuel gauge to warn you when it's time to fill up.

3-Year BMW Limited Warranty.

Plusses over the plain Zumo:

The Free 3-month Traffic Subscription, AND the GTM-12 Traffic Receiver is included.

The availability of BMW model-specific mounts

All maps of North America pre-loaded

All BMW Dealer Info comes pre-loaded

A 3-Year Warranty (3 times longer than the standard Zumo warranty)

Available model-specific mounts (optional):

R1200RT

R1200ST

R1200GS

R1200GSA

R1200HP2

K1200GT ('05+)

K1200S

K1200R

MSRP is $969.

So... Will this or won't this drive a GXM-30 (xm radio) antenna?

Just curious.

Do you by any chance have a picture of what the mounts look like or know where we could find one?

Does it still come with the full unlocked DVD? Does it also come with the car mount kit like the normal 550?

I'm glad to see that the r12st isn't ENTIRELY dead in BMW's eyes.

Thanks for the info. I am tempted - especially since it's not much more than the normal 550 (if it includes everything the regular one does) with the "little birdie" intro special.

No pix of the mounts yet.

I have an inquiry in to BMWNA regarding the Zumo XM.

I don't know if the DVD is fully unlocked, just that all maps of North America are said to be preloaded.

Man, if I thought that I could get the Zumo (Nav IV) mounted like that on my r12st (instead of what I assumed - for lack of a source of info - was a tank mount similar to the Nav III) , I probably would have taken Nando up on his offer.

Thanks for the link.

I heard it will not get the XM , its not a good deal. frown.gif Joe

Some of us already have XM and have for years.

Some of us don't want to have to deal with that hockey-puck sized XM radio/antenna.

Some of us don't want to have to scroll through screens in order to control our XM radio.

Some of us prefer Sirius.

I understand your disappointment in that you will not be able to add the optional XM to this Zumo, the same XM that you can pay extra for and add to a Garmin Zumo. But the fact that it isn't a good deal for you doesn't mean it isn't a good deal for others. Perhaps they'd prefer to get the optional Traffic Receiver for free instead (plus three months of free usage). For others, having a 3-year warranty (vs 1-yr for the Garmin Zumo) is important. And being able to use a BMW model-specific mount instead of the Ram mount makes it more attractive to some.

Remember, one man's drink. . .

I have loaded BMW dealers into my Zumo (for free).

I put black end caps on my Zumo (inc.).

My Zumo included a car cradle (which is not in the BMW version?)

My Zumo is compatible with XM radio, and the related navtraffic and weather services (with the optional GXM-30).

The BMW version is about $300 more. If I include the cost of the GXM-30, my Zumo is still $100 less than the BMW version, and it will do more.

To each his own, but I do not understand the pricing premium on this product. Surely you could buy an extended warranty in the after market for less than $100 and pocket $200.

I could have easily bought 2 good bikes for the price of my RT. BMWs have never been competitively priced. They will sell enough of the new BMW Zumos to justify the line. Also everybody won't be paying list price for their Zumo either.

I have loaded BMW dealers into my Zumo (for free).

I put black end caps on my Zumo (inc.).

My Zumo included a car cradle (which is not in the BMW version?)

My Zumo is compatible with XM radio, and the related navtraffic and weather services (with the optional GXM-30).

The BMW version is about $300 more. If I include the cost of the GXM-30, my Zumo is still $100 less than the BMW version, and it will do more.

To each his own, but I do not understand the pricing premium on this product. Surely you could buy an extended warranty in the after market for less than $100 and pocket $200.

+1 The BMW version compares more in features to the 400 or 450.

I am just getting into this Navi/Zumo thing and have noticed large price differences. Which model do you refer to that you are able to download dealers, etc.?

Thanks.

You can upload points of interest (POI's) to either the Nuvi or Zumo. A list of BMW dealers is available on a couple of websites that you upload. The BMW version of the Zumo comes with the dealers already loaded. There is a good online forum at http://www.zumoforums.com for learning more about the Zumo.

I'd like to see the mount for the 1200RT.

I saw the RT mount yesterday, It's a tubular bar that mounts onto the handle bar bolts, about 1-2" higher off the bars.

agree with rdsmith3, I have the 550 and it seems to be more value thanthe BMW version. Have not downloaded the Bmw dealers yet but otherwise I have used the carmount several times and the mount on the bike is great. Have attached it to one of the handlebar bolts with a RAM link and it is great in the middle and just above my tank bag, and not covering the instrumentation.

Easy to purchase with bike and as many of us have nav systems in cars and rentals can be had with them one can go which ever way. I went 550 a month or so ago.

h

Archived